Win 10 is a free upgrade for the first year

A nonymous

Reaction score
Just installed the latest Beta and to be honest its not bad at all. Its everything that MS stuff usually isn't. Its fast, clean and well though out.

win10_Beta1.jpg

win10_Beta1a.jpg

win10_Beta1b.jpg

Nano

Last edited:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
But.....the tiles.... Are still there :( is there a proper Start menu there now or still a form of castration?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
But.....the tiles.... Are still there :( is there a proper Start menu there now or still a form of castration?
Tiles are the future!! Embrace the tiles. :p

Actually I quite like the simplified tile design, especially on my mobile.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
... I quite like the simplified tile design, especially on my mobile.
Which is where they should stay.

They may be fine for touch screen devices but they're cr@p for anything with a keyboard and mouse/trackpad. They take up far too much space and add absolutely nothing to this user's experience.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Which is where they should stay.

They may be fine for touch screen devices but they're cr@p for anything with a keyboard and mouse/trackpad. They take up far too much space and add absolutely nothing to this user's experience.

I agree the Windows 8 Metro tiles layout is pointless but I like the look of the tiles on the Win 10 start button. It seems like a good balance with the desktop and the mobile/tablet version.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I'm having a go with 10 beta, might aswell try it, can't be any worse than the pile of dog excrement that was 8, just waiting for it to download and I'll slap in a spare HDD in my laptop to install it... :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm having a go with 10 beta, might aswell try it, can't be any worse than the pile of dog excrement that was 8, just waiting for it to download and I'll slap in a spare HDD in my laptop to install it... :)
You may be able to try the beta out but for the release version upgrade you'll have to do an intermediate upgrade to W8.1. MS have said that only Vista and W8.1 (with a few exceptions) will qualify for the free upgrade.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
MS have said that only Vista and W8.1 (with a few exceptions) will qualify for the free upgrade.

If so, the BBC reported this incorrectly then:

In addition, the firm announced that the OS upgrade would be offered free of charge for devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

Not that it matters, my copy of 7 is not exactly legit so I don't qualify for the free upgrade... :-rofl2

Anyway, presently running 10, seems okay, reminds me of a doctors waiting room though, rather flat, sterile and bland with a few old things scattered about, and where's that Cortana thing they're raving on about... :confused

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Actually, I just realised, my laptop has a Visthag business license on the base, so, I if vista is in the "free upgrade" category then I could qualify if I slap that hateful pile onto my laptop...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Got bored of 10, back on 7 now, at least it ran PaleMoon and Pidgin, so that's good, I don't ask much of an OS... :-rofl2

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Well ...unless someone can show me a reason to migrate away from win7 ...inertia will take over..
I HATE FECKIN TILES ...
Maybe it's an age gap thing ..but greasy finger draggin and touch screens is for the bone idle imo ..
..and should remain the sole preserve of phones and tablets..(neither of which I use)
and definately a form of castration with regards to windows OS's
Just when I'd got used to XP ..they moved the goalposts..
It took me a few years to let go of 98 ..in favour of XP..
Never mind ...I'll be dead soon so it wont matter..
lol

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^^^ But please not before you've tried Linux Mint! ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Funnily enough, while searching for an unscratched DVDR, I found a Mint 16 disc I must have written a year ago when messing about with my then-new (to me) laptop...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sorry. sorry, sorry.

I meant Win 7 not Vista. You have to pay if you want to "upgrade" from Vista, XP or anything earlier. Or, given that the hardware used for these early systems probably run it, why bother.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, my Lenovo T61 was built for vista, but runs 7 nicely (that said Vista was a pig when it came to running smoothly), and after trying 10's beta today, it runs that smoothly too, it's just that 10 as it is now seems bland and rather uninteresting, just another OS to consume hardware resources while the user battles to run things that windows tries to muscle out...

A nonymous

Reaction score
To be honest its the best my PC has run for a long time whilst using a Microsoft OS.

Windows 10 runs a lot better than Win 7 does on my ye olde 64bit Dell optiplex GX520.

Nano

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Windows 10 runs a lot better than Win 7 does on my ye olde 64bit Dell optiplex GX520.
Yeah but that's a beta you're using. Wait until MS slug the release version with 5 million lines of useless code.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I installed Ubuntu on my 'HTPC' laptop the other day and I just cannot get used to the UI. It feels like the entire thing runs as a Java applet.... Kinda slow and unresponsive. The laptop is with one of the first generation i7 CPUs so it's not 'old' but I find the experience underwhelming.

Still, it's only used to run XBMC /Kodi and a bunch of server services and it does that fairly well, thankfully.

I still think people, who are sick of Windows, should try getting OS X to run on their systems. It's not the most straightforward process and doesn't run on all hardware (it needs an Intel CPU at least) but I think it's more than worth it. And the OS is free just like many iterations of Linux.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
You should try a Linux OS more closely based on Debian, they tend to faster, more responsive than Ubuntu or Ubuntu based OS.
Yesterday I installed pure Debian as a dual boot with Mint, both use the same desktop environment (XFCE) but while Mint is based on Ubuntu the pure Debian is much more responsive. Faster boot and faster application starting.