Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
i want,to make,in this post,a complete overview,about the wind cpacity,of fullsize dishes,bases on the datasheets that the manufactor provide!
at moment,i have not much information,in the good old analouge days,when dish where very expensice in the 90?s,i read,in an hirschmann paper,that the will,make a lot of test,about the wind capacity,of dishes ,in a extra provided windchannel,that simulate winds up to 200 k,/H

now,i am now mathematican,or physican

maybe someone can told me the formula,when we for example have wind speed of 60 km/h,how much ,preasure ,is on a 1,80 m dish,for example,and how much on 3 meter dish,with the same wind speed,on usa satelite boards,some pictures of destroyed dishes after herican, will tell us,that there is a maximum stabiloity wind speed limit before dish will crash,so i live in 2500 m high mauntain area,not many winds here,maybe someone,has more technical background,intresting would be,why the manifactor can exactly say,this antenna,can handel this windspeed maximum,because,in normal nature,is now sumualted windchannel,with a lot of physical other factors,how they come,into the mathematical formula in a "normal" dishlife?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Cannot really help you with all this theory guff, a dish is only as good as its mounting, you can have the best dish in the world and if the mounting is crap the dish will blow away. However, common sense also says that the greater the dish diameter the greater the area of resistance hence the greater the force applied to the mounting for a given wind speed. The most sensible and appropriate action when high winds are forecast is to park the dish at right angles with the dish edge facing the oncoming wind as opposed to the full dish diameter. As to someone actually having figures regarding this well after all this is a hobbyist forum but someone may have them lying around.

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
why bother with the formula when you have the answer :)

:-looky

Attachments

• Document04.pdf
    309.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Document05.pdf
    289.6 KB · Views: 82