Windows BackUp

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Just been doing a bit of reorganzing on my sysytem.

I am running Windows ME, but can't find a BackUp programme included.

Should there be one?

If not any recomendations for a simple download anywhere?

Kind regards

W. Hole

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Found the Programme and got it running - now I need to know how to schedule it to run automatically.

Any ideas?

Regards

W.H.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Um, what's a backup? :confused

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think you can do it under task scheduler in accessories, System Tools, but not 100% as I've never used ME.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello R

Yes that is what I would have expected, but I can't find out how to do it.

Someone out there must know!

Regards

W.H.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
This might explain why you can't.

IMPORTANT: Unlike programs such as ScanDisk, Disk Defragmenter, Paint, and so on, the Microsoft Backup tool is not a core component of Windows Millennium Edition (Me). The Microsoft Backup tool has been included with the retail, released version of Windows Me to help maintain the functionality of Microsoft Backup after an upgrade to Windows Me. It is important to note that the Microsoft Backup tool cannot provide extensive backup functionality. Because of this, if you need to backup data, Microsoft recommends you obtain and install a third-party backup program.
Microsoft Support ME

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The PC that Im typing on used to have ME set up as standard

I changed it to W2000 as

1) ME was always crashing, desktop recovery, files being corrupted etc etc
2) Microsoft nor the company that supplied the PC were interested when I started complaining six months from new
3) W2000 seemed to work at the office so I brought it home

I can supply you the disk that came in the box as I no longer need it, just let me know the address

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Thanks for the input.

I seem to remember now that MSBACKUP.exe is not part of the workings of Windows ME.

It works OK on a manual basis, but what I need is some sort of back up tool that can be scheduled.

Any alternatives that members know work, and preferably are free....

Regards

W.H.

PS. CH thanks for the offer of the Disc, but I already have one.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi W.H.

I don't like Windows ME (Microsoft's biggest failure) but I guess you found the backup in add-ons on the CD (did you?). Does ME have task scheduler? If it does then you can run unattended backups. Let us know and I can tell you how.

Regards

Jimbo

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Jimbo

Yes I found the programme, but can't work out to automate it.

Can you help?

Regards

W.Hole

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Sorry W.H........I can get everything to load up via scheduler but can't get the command to actually start the backup at the pre set time. I'll talk to colleagues and perhaps get some more info for you re MS backup or another free or low cost package.
Typical microsoft to have an option to be able to select unattended backup which then has to be started manually.

"I'll be back"

Jimbo

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
The best Backup system, speaking from experience, is Drive image from Powerquest.
It takes an exact copy/image of you hard drive eg. C: compresses it and makes a single or multiple file which can be recovered easily with a boot disk.

I'm sure a find it if you search on google "drive image fossi"

nobbly

tirosh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600IPVA
Channel Master 1.2M
VxMulti, MM1.04
My Location
Essex
Guys,

I have just been playing with Norton Ghost 2003 this weekend and I like it. Very easy to use and as with Drive Image it creates a complete image of your drive. You do need a fair amount of free space depending on what you have on the disk you are imaging.

As an alternative I have also played around with Second Copy 2000 (from centred.com) which is excellent for creating copies of specific directiroes or files. You can also automate this to run in the background every so often.

Tirosh.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

I picked this up from BigJoe on SatDudez, and it seems to work fine.

"OK here is how to automate Microsoft backup. Firstly, in Microsoft Backup Job Options make sure that "Overwrite the Media" option is checked otherwise when run it will stop.

Suppose your backup job name is MyBackup. Open Notepad and paste the following text between the lines below into it.

'-------------------

Dim ss
Dim starttime,waittime,currenttime
waittime = 5
Set ss = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
ss.run "C:\PROGRA~1\ACCESS~1\BACKUP\MSBACKUP.EXE",1
starttime = Timer()
currenttime = starttime
Do Until currenttime-starttime > waittime
'Do nothing
currenttime = Timer()
Loop
ss.SendKeys "C%JOMyBackUp{Enter}%S"
Set ss = nothing

'--------------------------------------

If you Backup job name is different enter the correct name in the ss.sendkeys line between C%JO and (Enter}%S. Save this file as mybackup.vbs on the desktop (note the vbs extension).

Doubleclick this file to make sure it works. It should open backup and run the backup job.

If all is OK just open Control Panel then Scheduled Taks and pick Add a Scheduled Task. Use Browse select Desktop and files of type all types. Choose mybackup.vbs then set the times to run it and everything should be OK."

If it is this easy [when you know how] why isin't it provided by Microsoft?

Anyway seem to be sorted for now, so will start a new thread called what do you back up, so that we can all get some good ideas as to what should be included.

Cheers

W.Hole

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
I tried that W.H. and the task says "could not start". Did you manage to get it to work?

Jimbo

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Jimbo

Yes it seems to work OK.

I haven't confirmed the Scheduled Task yet, but the .vba runs and loads Backup.exe and runs it.

It doesn't close it at the end, but for me the main thing is that it has run.

Below is a copy of the actual .vba I made, in case there are any clues there for you.

The mistake I made was to copy the path to msbacup.exe from Explorer, but this wouldn't work because this operation needs DOS commands and the tilda descriptions in the path

Kind regards

W.H.

Dim ss
Dim starttime,waittime,currenttime
waittime = 5
Set ss = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
ss.run "C:\PROGRA~1\ACCESS~1\BACKUP\MSBACKUP.EXE",1
starttime = Timer()
currenttime = starttime
Do Until currenttime-starttime > waittime
'Do nothing
currenttime = Timer()
Loop
ss.SendKeys "C%JODaily{Enter}%S"
Set ss = nothing

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Norton Ghost makes backups of your entire hard drive onto cd rom or dvd-r. A basic backup of just the system with all drivers installed and some programs you use alot can be easily put onto one cd-r. I cannot find a workaround though for any old bios motherboards that do not see large hard drives but fine on smaller hard drives. I need to update my motherboard. Just search norton ghost in a search engine and you will find out more about it. The program itself can easily fit on a floppy disc.

if you are constantly updating your hard drive then you can always use a backup onto cdrw etc.