Windows Media Player

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I have Windows XP Home and have just started "burning" some music CD's using Windows Media Player 10 which came pre-installed.
Everything went fine at first as I down-loaded the music from the internet onto my hard drive. The problem started when I was requested to transfer my music files from my hard drive to Windows Media Player, because not only did it transfer the music files it also transferred all my music and other files from my wife's driving lesson course, and all the files from my games (Pirates, Nexus, etc).
At the moment I have nearly 900 files in WMP, and I have had to delete the games and driving course (which of course I can put back at another time).

Q1. How can I get rid of all the non-music files.
Q2. Is it best to delete WMP, and then download it from Microsoft.
Q3. How do I stop WMP from stealing non-music files.

One bit of good news the music CD's came out great. :-bunny :-bunny :-bunny

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
All I can say at the moment Rob is why use media player to burn stuff. Roxio or Nero would be better I feel. What format were the file n on the HDD after downloading them?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Did you let WMP scan for all media on your drive when you first used it? It's probably just indexed everything. You should be able to just burn selectively, but as Jimbo says, there are better tools.

I use Nero for general use, Alcohol 120% for most 'special' data jobs, loads of different things for video and Acronis True Image for backups to disk.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Rob said:
I have Windows XP Home and have just started "burning" some music CD's using Windows Media Player 10 which came pre-installed.
Everything went fine at first as I down-loaded the music from the internet onto my hard drive. The problem started when I was requested to transfer my music files from my hard drive to Windows Media Player, because not only did it transfer the music files it also transferred all my music and other files from my wife's driving lesson course, and all the files from my games (Pirates, Nexus, etc).
At the moment I have nearly 900 files in WMP, and I have had to delete the games and driving course (which of course I can put back at another time).

Q1. How can I get rid of all the non-music files.
Q2. Is it best to delete WMP, and then download it from Microsoft.
Q3. How do I stop WMP from stealing non-music files.

One bit of good news the music CD's came out great. :-bunny :-bunny :-bunny

Hi Rob
This happened to me to, I had a driving test course cd on my hard drive and all the stuff went over to wm. I just had to delete them one by one, not sure if you can delete them all together. It took me a while to do it. You probally hit the button on the toolbar that lets all you music be tranferred to wma. Well thats what i did and regretted it. Dont use windows media player any more, use i tunes because got an i pod.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Think you are right about Windows Media Player it's beginning to drive me crazy. It's a pity because WMP did all that I wanted, except it stole all my other files.
Will try a different system, like your Alcohol 120% BS, but all I need is a very SIMPLE
system like WMP.
Does anyone know the different between Nero and Winamp.
The files I am using are MP3.
Thanks Rob.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
In media player if you press F3 it brings up the search for new media window, in that change the 'look in' box to the place where all your music is (if it isn't all in one folder with sub folders it would be a good idea to do that now - it makes things easier for media player). Then from the options below select 'New files and all existing files in library'. Then press search.

Media Player will now only add your music to the media library.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Did as you said Polomint, will see how it goes.
Was able to get rid of over 850 unwanted files by deleting everything by "unknown composer" in the Library section, so I'm back now to the records I downloaded. :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Rob said:
all I need is a very SIMPLE system
Hear, hear!!

I used to borrow the CD writer from work to burn CDs from my lappy. It used HP RecordNow, which originally from Veritas. It did almost all I wanted - a simple 1 button and 2 clicks to copy a CD or burn from files or whatever. Unfortunately it didn't understand WMAs so I tried Nero.

Big mistake.

After 2 burnt, blank CDs I gave up and went back to RecordNow and have had to ignore WMAs (although I might be able to use the new version of Media Player perhaps). Apart from that I was happy.

Then about 5 weeks ago I bought an external DVD writer. It came with Nero so I thought I'd give it a go with a CD. Guess what? Another blank CD.

Why does Nero have to be so difficult? All I want is to copy a CD, why can't there be a single button to push? I don't want to have to chose a load of options I don't understand, don't want to understand and can't be bothered to learn.

The DVD writer now sits on top of the fridge unused.

PaulR

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Nero has a really simple 'express' view option now. It just has half a dozen simple buttons like "copy my flippin' disc now" etc.

It can set all those fiddly options in the background if you want it too.

The older versions didn't have this. They were just for people like me with loose bolts rolling around in their heads and nothing better to do than spend endless hours figuring out why I had burnt so many 'coasters'. :)

brewby

Reaction score
Nero will not work properly with Microsofts ASPI driver it needs the Adaptec version which is better and free from their website, Had the same problem and installing the Acaptec driver cured it for me.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Stick

Sorry, should have made it clear I WAS using the Express option. Still a pile of poo.

brewby

Interesting, maybe that might cure my problem. The OS is SP SP2 - is that relevant?

PaulR

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL. Yes, Microsoft seem hell-bent on forcing folks to use their software - Nero should install a new (non-ASPI?) driver on request, or you can use the Adaptec ASPI version.

_http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Think I'm starting to get the hang of this (Windows Media Player) as I have "burnt" five CD's up to now and no failures.
As it happens this is bloody great because for $15 (£8) a year I can download all the music that I need.
Still have one or two little problems to sort out but I will overcome them in the course of time.

:-bunny :-bunny :-bunny