Windows NT4.0 Password bypass ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
As the title says, Ive picked up a 20GB PC drive, partitioned, error free and running on Windows NT4.

Anyway to bypass the initial login ? I dont need any data on the drive, but Id like to have a play with the operating system to see how it functions as far as stability / features are concerned. Can the drive be slaved by a standard Win 98/XP system to reset it?

Ill probably ask the same on a Linux system operating another drive soon, but I can only learn so much in a decade.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi CH
As NT4 is network software then unfortunately unlike W98/W95 you cannot (not that I am aware of) access the desktop until you logon (there may be a way but I have never needed to not know it) . If you need to invoke a log on strangely enough you do CTRL ALT DEL all at the same time to log on as someone else. I run W2K which was born out of NT4 and it is in many ways similar. I think the file structure of NT4 was only NTFS whereas W2K and XP can be either Fat 32 or NTFS. I am not sure if W98 FAT32 will read NTFS files, I think not again I have bever had a reason to try that. The stability of NT4 was greatly improved, the servers were notorius for going down every 30 days but the NT4 PC O/S seems stable enough in fact I have had a pc running 24/7 for 15 months now

Regarding Linux, root is always root so as long as you know the password you can get in to root

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
reset the NT admin password. i used a liunx based floppy boot disk before to great effect. start here:

_http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

type in "linux winnt password reset" or "windows NT linux password reset" to google too. it seems this isn't the only version.

-cts

you can then login as "administrator" with no password I think....

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Wow, Ill try it later today

Thanks

@Topper, your answer is strangley deja vu, I installed Win 2000 onto a PC yonks ago, and its always been stable. It was also probably my favourite Windows operating system, a good successor to W98(2), far better than the ME that was already on it. The only downside was the extraordinary time it takes to search and delete temporary files to save disk space, a problem that appears to have migrated to XP.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
NT4 stability is ok We have been running it on our works servers for 5 years with only occasional need to reboot them. (320 work stations 1100 user logging into them day in day out).

You will find that many peripherals do not have nt drivers available so dont try running it as your primary o/s if you have lots of extra sttuff to run.

It wont run memory stick / flash drives afaik

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
Channel Hopper said:
Wow, Ill try it later today

tell us how you get on.

i was once in an official work situation where i needed to get some software installed which needed the admin password. either i hacked it or the work didn't get done. i'll let you decide which option i chose.

cts.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Failed at the first fence. Cant find a floppy thats error free (well one is) but then the .bat file overfills the data and shuts down the sector writing

Will try again later

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:
@Topper, your answer is strangley deja vu, I installed Win 2000 onto a PC yonks ago, and its always been stable. It was also probably my favourite Windows operating system, a good successor to W98(2), far better than the ME that was already on it. The only downside was the extraordinary time it takes to search and delete temporary files to save disk space, a problem that appears to have migrated to XP.

Oh that is freaky CH I have been trying to tidy up my temp files for over a week now on my w2k pc and I have waited over two hours for it to calculate it and it just never comes up with an answer. As my pc has 4 users I eventually came to the conclusion that the O/S must be damaged and the software was open looping hence I have been installing XP home on a 30Gb HD. Plus I had the other problem of the drive no longer being recognised. So XP will just do the same will it???? Lol Will Bill ever get it right??? Longhorne should be out soon and no doubt some pirate versions are already floating around. Hope cts's solution works for you. This is courtesy of my laptop good old W98SE

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If you leave it running (and I suppose turn off any AV software) it will eventually come up with an answer. Trouble is, once youve selected delete, it takes almost as long again.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:
If you leave it running (and I suppose turn off any AV software) it will eventually come up with an answer. Trouble is, once youve selected delete, it takes almost as long again.

That isn't any good then as my daughter will have downloaded a movie, 10 mp3's and written a dozen blogs or so in that time whilst being on permanent msn webcam to her mate. No bl :-flash :-flash dy wonder there's no bandwidth left for me and she who should be obeyed!!!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I think its time for a second PC in the home.
Makro had some 2500 MHz thing on offer for £260 last week, I was tempted, but no spare cash this month.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The problem isn't quantity it's quality. 2 PC's and a laptop and they're all three years old or more. I think mine is the most recent, a 1400 Celeron. Anyhow to get back on topic how did the NT4 password change go????

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Of course it would be a damn sight less hass to blat the drive with an XP disk and start again!