Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
BGonaSTICK said:
I always turn System Restore off as soon as I build a box. It saves a shedload of space.

If you have a minor problem, then you don't need to resort to using it (it's a bit sledgehammer to crack a walnut) whereas if it's a major problem, it probably won't work anyway.

I currently use Acronis True Image. Why not try it? It's really very slick.
Not disputing any of what you say Stick it is just a case of horses for courses really. Thanks for the info on Acronis though, I'll bear that in mind

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, sorry, got on my soap box a bit there, but I just wish more people would backup their boxes properly. It so easy to do, and it would just save everyone soooo much time and frustration! :)
Whatever other methods you want to use, add a proper backup AS WELL!!! :-bunny

I think that most of Joe Public recognise the need to run AV now, but there seems to be a real resistance to do backup. Maybe people don't want to give up the disk space?

I can only try... :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
BGonaSTICK said:
I can only try... :D

It would be great if "others" would

:-bunny

d122k7trb

Judas Priest
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IClass Receiver
2 Premium X LNBs Hotbird+ Nilesat
120" Dish

Computer system:
AMD Phenom Quad quad core 9750
4GB DDR2 Bus 800 RAM
MB: Asus Crosshair
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache
22" LCD Widescreen Samsung 226BW
SB X-Fi Xtreme
My Location
Armenia, ME: The Arab Countries
Rob said:
Has anyone had the same problems that I have just encounted.
I have just downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 2 and lost all Internet connection.
Nothing on IE, MSN, or Opera, does anyone know why ! :confused

Firstly, is your PC, Stand Alone PC or it is in a PVN, Ethernet or Intranet or connected to a network.

Secondly, If it is a stand alone Computer, you've to update it onsite. From MS-update official site. Not to down load the SP2 and install it.

Thirdly, there is (are 2 types of SP for WIN XP:

One for Stand alone PCs and One for the IT professionals, meaning that installing on multiple computers on a network. These are completely different.

By the way, do not upgrade your computers that much 'coz you'll face with critical problems later. With IE, or program compatibility

Regards.

aatt1111

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic receiver
I just installed SP2 from disk (not downloaded), without any problem. Just make sure if any changes have occured with the settings of your default internet provider, your modem and local/regional settings.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Rob said:
Topper, thought about using the restore point (never used it before) but decided on the repair as I was worried that after using the restore point my music program would disappear.

@Topper, Tried to repair but no good, so used sledge-hammer (restore-point)
And after going back a bit to far (my music program disappeared) I was able to repair PC and get my music program back.
Everything running fine now, and have "burnt" two new CD's, MAGIC !

:-rub

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Rob said:
@Topper, Tried to repair but no good, so used sledge-hammer (restore-point)
And after going back a bit too far (my music program disappeared) I was able to repair PC and get my music program back.
Everything running fine now, and have "burnt" two new CD's, MAGIC !

:-rub

I'm chuffed for you matey, Like I say it hasn't failed for me yet but I suppose there is always a first time.
:D

kalamar

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
WinXP=Spyware ! I have several flavors of it,some been slipstreamed.Too much hassle as I use Win2000 pro and no problems.Im at SP-2 on that and its far enough.Updated a friends box and he said it was slower after the SP upgrade to SP-3 (?) Im getting too old to do all these acrobatics with software anymore,hard on the brain.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
BTW, there is an excellent replacement LegitCheckControl.dll floating around that fixes the Windows Update V6 blocking of invalid serials. Search it out.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
The one time i needed a restore point there was only one there which was no good to me :( dont know where they all went. i have used system restore quite alot and find it useful when going to install new graphics drivers which can cause system stability issues and its helped me out in situations like that but i think it should only really be used as a quick repair option and not serious backup as has been said previously if its a big enough problem usually system restore is not good enough to deal with it, still a nice option to have though. Acronis True Image sounds interesting i will check it out :)

d122k7trb

Judas Priest
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IClass Receiver
2 Premium X LNBs Hotbird+ Nilesat
120" Dish

Computer system:
AMD Phenom Quad quad core 9750
4GB DDR2 Bus 800 RAM
MB: Asus Crosshair
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache
22" LCD Widescreen Samsung 226BW
SB X-Fi Xtreme
My Location
Armenia, ME: The Arab Countries
I've the Win XP SP2. Its about 266 MB. I installed it just after instaling the original XP with or witout SP2. Many, many updates took place and the win-updated Icon does not blink or show up for many times (thaks) but I didn't have problems with other parts of my XP. They're working fine till now, at least.

RB.