Windows XP Updates.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
I use Avast and only get little pop ups telling me all is well or programs need updating

avast.png

Grab the free version from here _http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index and register it with an email address, that's all I did and I've had no bother with it

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I remember being obliged to use that sort of thing, plus MBAM.

Seems like the dark ages now.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Minimal popups after Avast re-install ..
I suspect I downloaded the previous installation from a site other than Avast ..and was bundled with a third party pile 'o shyte..
ie PC optimiser ..
This time I have no such issues..
Also did as suggested and set for 'gaming mode' ..
Off to write out 100 times now ..
" I must pay more attention where I'm downloading from"
;)
Curious though ...there is a countdown running on the registration ..
It remembered that I had it installed previously and is set to expire in 264 days ..
Is this not free indefinately then ?

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
When it expires you can re-register using the same email address and it'll be good for another free year

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
With regards to Avast! popups, you can turn them off you know, it's called "Silent/Gaming mode" (right click the icon and click on that option), I haven't had any popups on my 4 computers running it since installing and turning off the notifications... :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Just use Linux and rid yourself of all the carp.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Just use Linux and rid yourself of all the carp.

And all the non-linux programs that don't always work under WINE or have a linux alternative too? :-rofl2

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
There are really very few and generally alternatives are available. This was an issue for me, but simple searching and a bit of setting aside the Microsoft mentality provides many opportunities.

Couldn't get on with Wine. but it is a fudge that isn't actually needed, in the main.

I too was one of the meek. Now I would not go back under any circumstances. I have been liberated. Along with millions of others.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
There are really very few and generally alternatives are available. This was an issue for me, but simple searching and a bit of setting aside the Microsoft mentality provides many opportunities.

Couldn't get on with Wine. but it is a fudge that isn't actually needed, in the main.

I too was one of the meek. Now I would not go back under any circumstances. I have been liberated. Along with millions of others.
Sadly not always possible G ..though I understand why you say it..
For example my eprom/Tsop chip programmer only runs under windoze ..so ..I have to have it..
If I can't program chips I can't repair certain stuff ..
This would seriously affect my business..
I don't make the gear or the rules buddy..
rgds
VS

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

And all the popular games made for Windows? I can bet you that when the PC version of GTA5 comes out (soon, not far off now, a year after the console version came out), there's naff all chance of it ever working under Linux... :-rofl2

For day to day nobbling about on the web, yeah, Linux is an alternative for sure, but, for those of us who actually use our computers, then it's either too fiddly and buggy to get things to operate, or they just don't work at all due to there not being any support, you need to go to the top level software manufacturers and convince them that Linux versions are the way to go to appease the non-windows crowd, so good luck with that task... :-rofl2

Not to mention, I can get Windows7 running on a glorified PentiumIII processor dressed up as a 1.2GHz PentiumM, I can't get any version of Linux to work on the same system reliably, so, no ta...:D

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Before this strays too far from XP.......I can understand your point about Linux not supporting the latest games but for what some of us use the computer for it's more than suitable. The only grumble I have is the sound bug with Skype, which has a complex workround I have yet to fathom....so yes, I have Skype on my Windows 8 netbook. But for all else I utilise, Linux wins.....

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Ok ..
Assuming all goes well ...can I then dump pita Avast and start using security essentials again ?
I'm still using MSE on a standard XP machine, if you can live with the reminder when you switch on that the operating system is outdated and a permanent red icon then it'll carry on as normal for a couple of years.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Mmm looks like they may have closed the loophole, I have a registry file created with blue cubes as described and double clicking on it produces a message

Screenshot 2014-07-28 22.28.37.png

Have I missed something?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Ah no spot the tired idiot, I only copied the last two lines...what a plonker, seems ok now, but no downloads arriving as yet

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
No I have tried a forced download as well and still nothing. BTW, I am trying out the free version of Panda Cloud AV, just for fun

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
And all the non-linux programs that don't always work under WINE or have a linux alternative too? :-rofl2
There are usually Linux alternatives, and what there isn't I don't need.
I seriously cannot think of any sensible reason to ever use any version of Windows again. It's far too high maintenance ( os updates and consequent re-starts, virus / malware definition updates and scans, de-fragging....etc)
Gaming aside (which I have no interest in) I cannot see anything Windows can do (for the average user) that a Linux OS cannot do, and more efficiently.
I spend all day fixing virus and malware ridden Windows computers that run slow and have all sorts of issues.
It's generally quicker to re-install Windows, in itself a painfully long winded process, than to try to cure all the problems.
I hope that Windows remains the #1 OS and that keeps it in the firing line, so gives me plenty of earning potential.
If people wish to pay for a very flawed operating system then so be it, ignorance is bliss....
Anyway sorry for going slightly off topic.

Last edited:

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
In reply #12 there is a typo.
After WPA in the registry line there should be a backward slash \ not a straight one |
It should read .
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
Hope I have got it right this time.:)

Can a Mod correct it please.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
In reply #12 there is a typo.
After WPA in the registry line there should be a backward slash \ not a straight one |
It should read .
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
Hope I have got it right this time.:)

Can a Mod correct it please.

All sorted.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
OK thanks for the correction and it was the incorrect one I had used however still no updates, no problem, I had not powered my XP machine up for many weeks, if it work fine if not no sweat

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I spend all day fixing virus and malware ridden Windows computers that run slow and have all sorts of issues.
It's generally quicker to re-install Windows, in itself a painfully long winded process, than to try to cure all the problems.
I hope that Windows remains the #1 OS and that keeps it in the firing line, so gives me plenty of earning potential.
If people wish to pay for a very flawed operating system then so be it, ignorance is bliss....

I used to do the same, often I had to deal with "repeat customers" who were often just disabling or bypassing it so they could download stuff that funnily enough contained viruses, trojans, malware and other rubbish they tried to blame on us (never worked though), but as we charged by the hour for software repairs, they were more than welcome... :-rofl2

I even remember one ironic incident where a customer had "acquired" a surprisingly cheap copy of Norton Antivirus off the web, and they insisted they use that, only every time the thing was installed, the computer got infected with the same trojan, and the antivirus oddly didn't pick it up, it was only when I scanned the CD on a test rig that I found the thing was a cracked copy that was dropping a payload onto their system, it was fun selling them a genuine copy at the proper price...:-rofl2

As for paying for Windows, well, that's where buying a dead computer is handy, so long as the seller left the licence key intact... :D