Windy Ridge

Roadster99

Reaction score
My Location
North East England
Greetings to you all.

I intend placing a motorised 85cm steel dish on a 2" galvanised steel pole mounted on two strong wall brackets. They will be mounted on a north wall facing over the roof ridge. The west aspect will be slightly sheltered from the prevailing winds by the L shaped roof. All other aspects will be open to all the elements. My question is:- would it be better to park the dish side on to the wind or with the dish back to the wind?

At first thought and I note from some other members that maybe side on would be best but that would leave the LNB exposed to side winds and also the dish could put side load on the DiSEq motor. Having the dish back to the wind would protect the LNB and its arm and maybe not put as much strain on the motor.

The thoughts, observations and practical experience of the forum would be appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
For the least movement of the dish, then side on is best, there is minimal surface area on the LNB and boom arm compared to the dish surface. Having said all of that, I never bother to move mine and it is still up there. :)

Roadster99

Reaction score
My Location
North East England
Thanks Rolf, I guess its a suck it and see job.

Cheers.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
just do it and see. If you go to the members systems thread you can see mine. Apparently it is very exposed (according to one distinguished moderator) but it still works ok with a 1.2 m dish. I mean, let the bas**d put a bit of effort in moving the dish, it's a motor, isn't it?!