4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Hi all, i have talk talk broadband connected via an adsl modem, what equipment would i need to go wireless, and how do i set it up,

thanks in anticipation

deep joy dave:confused:confused

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
An ADSL wireless modem router and a wireless adaptor in each computer that you want to be wireless... :)

I haven't a clue how to set up the ADSL side but the wireless is easy as pie, just don't forget to set up the security (WEP) on your router!!! :D

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
2cvbloke said:
An ADSL wireless modem router and a wireless adaptor in each computer that you want to be wireless... :)

I haven't a clue how to set up the ADSL side but the wireless is easy as pie, just don't forget to set up the security (WEP) on your router!!! :D

Will any brand of router do the job??, i assume the adaptor goes in the usb port ??? does the adaptor have to be the same brand/type as the router????

thanks m8

deep joy:-doh!

dave

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
4dbennett said:
Will any brand of router do the job??, i assume the adaptor goes in the usb port ???

thanks m8

deep joy:-doh!

dave

Most will do, but it depends on what speeds your after, a cheap 11g router will do up to 54Mbps whereas, for example, a Netgear router with the right feature (I forget what it's called) can do double that, and if it has MIMO I think doubles that again... :)

As for the adaptors, if it's a laptop you have 3 options, you can use a USB adaptor, a PCMCIA card or (if your laptop is equipped with internal antennas for this) an internal Mini-PCI card... :)

A PC though has USB and PCI card options only... :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You may be able to plug a wireless router into the existing ADSL modem if it has an RJ45 socket.

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Thanks mhku and 2cvbloke, your info is very welcome, i,m a complete novice at this and most sales people you speak to only seem to confuse the issue with technical terms and sales patter,

thanks again.

deep joy
dave

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
4dbennett said:
Thanks mhku and 2cvbloke, your info is very welcome, i,m a complete novice at this and most sales people you speak to only seem to confuse the issue with technical terms and sales patter,

thanks again.

deep joy
dave

Computer stuff is pretty easy, it's just sales people in big chainstores that make it seem impossible... :D

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Is your modem USB at the moment 4dbennett? If so you will need to replace it with a router as described. The SpeedTouch 585v6 is one of many excellent choices for home use.

2cvbloke said:
...the wireless is easy as pie, just don't forget to set up the security (WEP) on your router!!! :D

Yes, but if all your hardware supports it then set up WPA instead :D Apart from that all you should have to do is enter your ADSL details.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PoloMint said:
Is your modem USB at the moment 4dbennett? If so you will need to replace it with a router as described. The SpeedTouch 585v6 is one of many excellent choices for home use.

Yes, but if all your hardware supports it then set up WPA instead :D Apart from that all you should have to do is enter your ADSL details.

I'm sure I remember reading something that said that WPA was easy to break open with the right software... :confused

Or was it WEP?:confused

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Probably WEP - while WPA may not be completely secure (doubtful that anything wireless would be) it is generally considered to be much better than WEP :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can always use WEP with MAC filtering, then it will only allow previously arranged PCs.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
You can always use WEP with MAC filtering, then it will only allow previously arranged PCs.

That's what I read!!! WEP & MAC filtering!!! :D

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yea MAC filtering is a good idea with WPA or WEP (or even if the network has no encryption) as is hiding the SSID.

But MAC filtering and hidden SSID often give a false sense of security. Cloning a MAC is not hard, and if someone has grabbed enough info to break the WEP then they will have found at least one approved MAC which they can use. Hiding the SSID does little more than stopping the neighbours stumbling across the network name by accident.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
And turn broadcasting off.