Wireless Network Dilemma :( Please Help guys!

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
Hi.. I have a bit of a problem :(

Whenever I do any large amount of downloading, my wireless network completely just dies!

The two machines are connected and sharing internet via "Adhoc" wireless mode with Two USB X-Micro Wireless B LAN Adapters. (so it's P2P? no Router)

When the wireless connection dies I have to usually restart at least one of the computers, and/or unplug and re-plug the USB adapters.

I was downloading an episode of a TV series at a very lovely 60 kB/sec when the this happend again so now I am well and truly fed up and Just want to be able to download consistently and smoothely.

Basically if I am downloading a lot, this will happen every two or three hours.

If this is really common, or there is some dead easy quick fix then apologies for my..um..stupidity. Lol

Anyway, thanks guys for any help! :)

dvmedia

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
Anyone...any ideas? :(

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
If I was to have a guess at this the fact that the timing is approximately the same each instance and the download rate similar suggests to me that you may be running out of cache. Sometimes the on board i.e. on the chip cache fails but because the mother board has some the pc doesn't care but does silly things like this. Failing that leaking memory chips could be the problem. Do you have any memory recovery system operating on either or both PC's as if not I would suggest this may help considerably considering the volume of information passing through both systems. My final thought is that someone else i.e. a neighbour has discovered you have a wifi set up and is taking advantage of it for free and using up all your bandwidth causing your systems to grind to a halt. As I said it is only a guess.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Try the following to identify the cause

1) Use only one PC on the network
2) Connecting one PC direct to the incoming cable, eliminating the wireless system

If neither lead to a fault free download then its most likely Toppers first suggestion.
I would hazard a guess you might be hitting your ISPs download limiter, not that you would know what that is.

tumpy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PANSAT2500 Echo501 &301
PIII 1.0 Mhz 500 mb Ram
SoundBlaster Plat 5.1
Nec DVD/Burner 3520AW
SIS agp 64 mb
Hauppauge PVR350
My Location
USA
If i my i suggest, go here to<> dslreports.com/drtcp<> get a copy of Drtcp. and while you are there do test to see what need to be tweak ..