Wireless satellite

rich_jtg

Reaction score
Hi, I'm quite new to this satellite malarkey so please don't laugh (too much) if this is a bit of a daft question... :-ohmy

Is there such thing as a device that can transmit the signal from a dish to a receiver without the use of cables? *cringe*

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dont worry - we were all beginners once. Most of us are pretty friendly :) And welcome to the forum.

As for your question - afraid not - the cable carries a voltage and a special high frequency tone to change the LNB from hi band to lo band and from Horizontal to Vertical polarization.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
rich_jtg said:
Is there such thing as a device that can transmit the signal from a dish to a receiver without the use of cables? *cringe*

Out of interest why do you ask?

If you want to hide the cables there are many ways or is it another reason?

rich_jtg

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated! ...and sorry for what must appear to be a daft question.

I also have to thank you for giving me the original inspiration for digging out my old analogue dish out originally.. after finding your website via Google! :)

I'm just looking to set-up a basic analogue/digital system, so that 'her indoors' (who is originally from Europe) can watch a few more channels than the FTA ones we get on Sky Digital.

I found a few using a temporary setup - dish in garden planter, cable through bedroom window to a portable TV), but are just looking around to learn which direction I should be going in.

The cabling mightbe what will give me the biggest headache... but I also have to do a lot more Googling and reading of previous posts to just get a good grasp of the basics.

Seems like it might be good fun learning though! :D

rich_jtg

Reaction score
gameboy said:
Out of interest why do you ask?

If you want to hide the cables there are many ways or is it another reason?

It's just getting the cable from the dish (which will probably have to be mounted in the garden) all the way around to the opposite corner of the house. Over the roof looks favourite at present.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
What language are you most interested in for "er indoors"?

rich_jtg

Reaction score
Originally, I was looking for Portuguese, but I'm thinking Hispasat might be out of the question due to surrounding buildings.

Luckily she understands alot of languages, so country of origin shouldn't be too much of a problem (hopefully!) ...I think anything will be an improvement on our present selection of channels! :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
RTP international is fta on 19E. The two hotspots are 19E and 13E - get an 80cm dish with a monobloc and a receiver with disecq switching and have both! 450 free channels sound good?

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
rich_jtg said:
Hi, I'm quite new to this satellite malarkey so please don't laugh (too much) if this is a bit of a daft question... :-ohmy

No but you could position your receiver in a garden shed if you so wished close to the dish and use something like a wireless video sender to transmit the AV signals - like h22p://tinyurl.com/43n8v - it will also relay infrad red remote control commands back to the receiver. Transmission ranges vary... Cheers.

cts

rich_jtg

Reaction score
Analoguesat said:
RTP international is fta on 19E. The two hotspots are 19E and 13E - get an 80cm dish with a monobloc and a receiver with disecq switching and have both! 450 free channels sound good?

Ah right, cool! 450 channels? I think that might be enough ;)

Would a disecq motor be better than two/dual LNBs?

closetosoton said:
No but you could position your receiver in a garden shed if you so wished close to the dish and use something like a wireless video sender to transmit the AV signals - like h22p://tinyurl.com/43n8v - it will also relay infrad red remote control commands back to the receiver. Transmission ranges vary...

That's a really clever idea... I wonder... *goes off to think about how he could set it up* :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
For 13&19E, a monobloc is preferable - simply because the channel changing is faster, and theres no motor to go wrong. Have a look at my fta digital site where all the free channels I can see with an 80cm dish are compiled.

h**p://www.digitalsat.co.uk

With a monobloc, point the dish main focus at Hotbird, and the offset goes to 19E. 130 channel on 19E, many in German, and 300+ on 13E in all sorts of exotic languages.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
rich_jtg said:
Would a disecq motor be better than two/dual LNBs?

If you only want two positions* (see below) then the two LNBs on a bracket are a lot easier to set up and the position switching is instant.

A motor will get you more positions but it's more difficult to set up and when you change positions it has to move therefore the channel changing will be delayed (but that's only when you change to another position)

*I say positions as there are a number of satellites in the same location at several positions i.e. 13 deg East that's why you receive so many cahnnels there.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
you could glue 2 lnb's together DIY style like I did, this gives the advantage of being able to add even more lnbs/dishes/satellite positions - a monoblock can't be used in conjunction with a diseqc switch... i use a 4-way disecq switch in conjunction with a series of lnbs to capt 13e,19.2e,28,2e ... http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin...ead.php?t=35396 - cts

rich_jtg

Reaction score
Right, I'm with you guys - everything seems alot clearer now. :)

Thanks for all your advice, very much appreciated... I'm now walking in the right direction! ;)

Off to do some research!!!

(Oh, BTW cts - I can't get your link to work. :( )

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
rich_jtg said:
(Oh, BTW cts - I can't get your link to work. :( )
don't know what went wrong there, bad copy & paste error, try tinyurl.com/4k5lj

-cts

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
CTS, you don't need to use the tiny URL site, they are fine as they are. :)

rich_jtg

Reaction score
Thanks for that CTS, but it was the previous thread link I couldn't get to work. However, I've spotted your pics whilst going through older threads on the forum.

Cheers fella! :)