Wogan Disgust

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

I am normally a 'long stop' helping out when others can't.

I have been a member of this site for too many years to recall [I remember Arthur ----]

I have been moved to post this today by a disillusionment which I can't just hold in to my self.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6417329.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6076584.stm

These postings can't surely mean anything other that hypocrisy.

Read the original story in the Daily Mail [of all places].

Not a penny from us until Sir Tel makes a genuine gesture of recompense, and I feel this should far exceed the smelly benefit he has accrued.

Best

w.h.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I don't have a copy of the Daily Mail to hand (and never would have seeing as I do not buy newspapers) however having read those two links you gave I can understand your feelings........ why should Tel be exempt from a charitable act? on the other hand why should politicians, film stars, pop stars and sportsmen and women all of whom have vast fortunes in comparison to Mr average. The problem is actually just society stinks and greed is the driving force in the world, no difference in the Roman Empire not that I remember, but yes I agree Tel should pay up

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, does seem a bit silly, particularly as he says he would do it without payment. So why hasn't he donated it?

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
This is more than a little odd. That has to be the one good thing this government has done, that Freedom of Information Act.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Let's be fair to Sir Tell, how do you expect him to get by on the £800,000 that Radio Two pay him a year. :-rofl2 the B.F.G.B.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Im utterly amazed. Wogan has lost many peoples respect over this...

Cliveastro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 ci
90cm Gibertini
Inverto Silver Tech 0.3lnb
Moteck 2100A motor
My Location
South East England
I cant think why we pay so much for our TV licence.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
You could always ask the £18,000,000 Jonathon Ross that question. ;)

L.:)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Cliveastro said:
I cant think why we pay so much for our TV licence.

*cough*... :-ohmy ;)

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
yeah but this is different...HE is being paid to host a charity event!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Tell the lads to get to Pendle Hill on the double :eek: :-Nooo

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Topper said:
Tell the lads to get to Pendle Hill on the double :eek: :-Nooo

Don't worry, the TV Tax fuzz are on my case, not fair though paying twice for using a TV though, it shouldn't be as necessary as something like a driving licence where you actually put lives in danger if you can't officially drive.... :rolleyes:

What can a TV do "in the wrong hands"??? :p
(excluding chucking them out of hotel windows!!! :p )

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Why are you paying twice?

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
He likes the out put of the BBC way too much!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
Why are you paying twice?

Well, you buy a bog standard CRT TV for, say, £200, then have to pay a further £100+ in order to actually use it, why can't the cost of a licence be taken from that £200? Especially with LCD & Plasma TVs...

And as pointed out by the stories above, what the beeb shell out on their presenting staff (TV hosts, radio DJs, etc) is rediculous, then they raise the licence fee, they get rid of the only decent programming I liked to watch (Star trek, the simpsons), I remember being infront of the TV at 6pm dead on for the hour or more of TV I loved, then it dissapeared and I had to get cable or sky to watch it, so yet more money to shell out. Then they become a pain when they say you are watching broadcasted TV when you only use a TV for pre-recorded DVDs or tapes or home security or anything that isn't Television. Drives me up the wall, the BBC need to seriously think about their expenditures...

I'm a fan of this site:
_http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

:D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I still cannot grasp what makes you think you are paying twice and the standard cost of a license is hardly extortionate despite ridiculous salaries being paid to TV presenters.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
I still cannot grasp what makes you think you are paying twice and the standard cost of a license is hardly extortionate despite ridiculous salaries being paid to TV presenters.

I already explained, buy a TV, buy a licence, every year for as long as you own a TV, and if the Beeb drop your fave programmes and you have to go to another provider to watch said programmes, so you end up paying the BBC for, well, nothing that you actually want to see, and pay another service for the TV you actually DO want to see, and that includes foreign satellite TV, UK satellite TV, well, sky, cable or what's left of TUTV, so basically, you pay twice, but with the 2nd lot you actually can choose what you want to watch, whereas the BBC just basically say "like it or lump it" with their own programming, and if you opt to "lump it" you have to give up your TV set(s)!!!

There is very very little that the BBC now show that I enjoy, yes there's Family guy and American dad on BBC3, and I like that Kill it Cook it Eat it thing, but other than those, the BBC is just, well, dull!!! This is one of the reasons why I decided to start with my satellite stuff as I wanted to watch something better (whether I could understand the languages of the programming was a different matter), but even then the BBC insist I have a TV licence, even though I'm not watching their programming!!!!! 'O'-red

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The BBC don't insist, the government do. ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
The BBC don't insist, the government do. ;)

But the BBC get the majority of the money, once it's been through the PM's back pocket... ;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Doesn't matter, it is the government who approve the license fee and the goverment who insist that you pay it.

This is an old chestnut though and discussions just go round in circles.