Woohoo, I got my 1.8m :D but...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looks like it may be C120 fitting, in which case you need something like this.

bombuzal

Дурak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
Hehe, thank you rolfw, too :)

I assume the C120 flanges are mostly used on larger dishes with the tri-beam supports? :)

I had googled around for them, and they look quite sexy ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
bombuzal said:
Ah, thanks very much - I've only ever had LNBs which use clamps, so thank god I asked here before mutilating the plate hehe :)

The polariser was(I've took it off now ;) fixed to the plate (and end nozzile) with 2 screws - but there is space for 4 (though, on the plate - the inner rim was broken/open at 2 of the holes). :)

Deek.

As rolfw says, it'll be C120 and you'll need one of those (not necessarily that one though) types of LNB, plenty out there on the market and on that online auction place, the bay of E (search for C120 in Consumer electronics - Satellite, Cable & Freeview, Avoid the Grundig ones though, old stuff you see...).... :D

Oh, and the "nozzle" (the bit facing the dish) is the Feedhorn, don't lose it!!!! :D

bombuzal

Дурak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and

My Location
Newcastle, UK
Hehe thanks! :))

I had a looky, and they're alot cheaper there and on seller's sites than most sites google returns atleast - shame my local dealer doesn't sell C120 LNBs though :)

Hehe, I feel like such a newb having never had a dish with a C120 flange and LNB lol - I'll get used to them soon enough ;) So, with a C120 LNB - I'll still need to screw the old feedhorn onto it? (Sorry, I just like to make sure before I spend even more lol)

Btw, if Rd100 or anyone else wants the Nokia polariser and LNB unit - feel free to poke me on here or on the IRC channel :)

If I may - I'd like to say it's nice to find a group of people who actually know *useful* things about satellites and receiving systems - especially on the technical side... There's so many people in this area who only know enough to plug a cable in and punch in numbers they get sent into their Magic Card programmers (etc ;p lol) to watch Sport & mature content ;p

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
bombuzal said:
Hehe thanks! :))

I had a looky, and they're alot cheaper there and on seller's sites than most sites google returns atleast - shame my local dealer doesn't sell C120 LNBs though :)

Hehe, I feel like such a newb having never had a dish with a C120 flange and LNB lol - I'll get used to them soon enough ;) So, with a C120 LNB - I'll still need to screw the old feedhorn onto it? (Sorry, I just like to make sure before I spend even more lol)

Btw, if Rd100 or anyone else wants the Nokia polariser and LNB unit - feel free to poke me on here or on the IRC channel :)

If I may - I'd like to say it's nice to find a group of people who actually know *useful* things about satellites and receiving systems - especially on the technical side... There's so many people in this area who only know enough to plug a cable in and punch in numbers they get sent into their Magic Card programmers (etc ;p lol) to watch Sport & mature content ;p

Well, some dealers only sell the easy to use stuff, C120 is a bit more "advanced" for the average user....

I was the same when I got my Attisat FL500 antenna as that uses C120 LNB's too, but as I wrecked my only one trying to update a BSB Squarial's LNB I can't use it till I get a new LNB for it, and the ones on sale all over the place look like they won't fit under the mount for my attisat without modification of the mount (I.E. getting the hacksaw out and making room for something like the Inverto .4dB LNB on eBay).... :D

Yes, keep the original feedhorn as it's designed for the dish, mixing and matching can cause problems, so stick with what you've got... :cool:

Personally, I like the technical side rather than the software side to satellite reception (I've always had problems dealing with software on everything from modern TV's to Computers!!! O-Ha ), and thanks to this and some member's sites I've built up my knowledge of Satellite technology over the past year since I got my first proper satellite kit from Lidl... :D

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
bombuzal, I'm pretty sure the polariser is an SMW one, just branded as Nokia.
It's a dead ringer for the SMW one I have.

SMW ones are much sought after, just chack that it's not open circuit (should be ~100 ohms)

Llew

bombuzal

Дурak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and

My Location
Newcastle, UK
Hehehe, great! :-))

Thanks very much :>

I enjoy the physical and software side - but, more on the low-level side since I'm a bit of an RF freak when it comes to electronics :> The physics of RF radiating & receiving/scanning is a hobby of mine too - but for quite a few years I've been quite out of touch when it comes to high-frequency technologies in the Ghz range / satellites :) When it comes to commercial radio broadcasting (88-102Mhz), CB, etc etc - I'm fine, but the physics of microwaves, including dishes/antennas for receiving are still slightly blurred ;)

Thanks again everyone for all your help :-)

bombuzal

Дурak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and

My Location
Newcastle, UK
Hehe, Llew :))

Well, if it is an SMW one - I have no use for it at the moment - I'm quite happy as long as I can receive what I need without shitty signals ;)

So if anyone *really* wants/needs one and has a nice C120 LNB ... perhaps an exchange/part-exchange would be nice ;p lol :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bombuzal said:
I enjoy the physical and software side - but, more on the low-level side since I'm a bit of an RF freak when it comes to electronics :> The physics of RF radiating & receiving/scanning is a hobby of mine too - but for quite a few years I've been quite out of touch when it comes to high-frequency technologies in the Ghz range / satellites :) When it comes to commercial radio broadcasting (88-102Mhz), CB, etc etc - I'm fine, but the physics of microwaves, including dishes/antennas for receiving are still slightly blurred ;)

Thanks again everyone for all your help :-)

I used to muck about with a CB, I still have 2 somewhere, I just have no aerial or licence to use them, and I don't even know if they still work!!! :D
Moved onto satellite only in the last year & 1/2, but I do have a pair of PMR446 walkietalkies to nosey in on other people's conversations still (what I used to do with my CB's before I broke my magmount)...

All a dish does is pick up the very weak (in comparison to a radio signal) microwave signal, focusses it towards the LNB, then the LNB converts the 10-13GHz into 900-1100MHz and passes it to the receiver via the cable, then the receiver does the rest... :D
It's easy once you know how it works... :cool:

bombuzal

Дурak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and

My Location
Newcastle, UK
hehehe 2cvbloke :))))

When I was at "scabrough" with my partner's family we used PMRs on the road since we went down in seperate cars - when we got to the bloody holiday park place - the security etc used the same frequencies so we winded them up a bit ;p

Alot of people round here still use analogue cordless-phones, so the scanner comes in handy when there's bugger-all else to do lol

Hehe, I knew it concentrated the signal into the focus-point of the dish -> LNB; It's just weird dealing with higher frequencies, and te fact you can't really/easily build a homebrew dish for it lol

By the way, I don't know if you're interested in feeds etc - but if you scan the BBC's IP ranges, you'll find that the servers/systems that control their upstreams aren't filtered - so anybody can connect to the web-interface and "log on" (br**e-f*rce) to it and change mostly any settings ;x :\

Deek.

P.S. You don't need a CB license - it's not mandatory anymore :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bombuzal said:
hehehe 2cvbloke :))))

When I was at "scabrough" with my partner's family we used PMRs on the road since we went down in seperate cars - when we got to the bloody holiday park place - the security etc used the same frequencies so we winded them up a bit ;p

Alot of people round here still use analogue cordless-phones, so the scanner comes in handy when there's bugger-all else to do lol

Hehe, I knew it concentrated the signal into the focus-point of the dish -> LNB; It's just weird dealing with higher frequencies, and te fact you can't really/easily build a homebrew dish for it lol

By the way, I don't know if you're interested in feeds etc - but if you scan the BBC's IP ranges, you'll find that the servers/systems that control their upstreams aren't filtered - so anybody can connect to the web-interface and "log on" (br**e-f*rce) to it and change mostly any settings ;x :\

Deek.

P.S. You don't need a CB license - it's not mandatory anymore :)

Yeah, I love bugging people who also use PMR for their "security" people... :-rofl2

I remember using an old TV/Radio to listen in to Cordless phonecalls, then later on a mini Airband radio too... :D

Well, apparantly, some people have used Bin lids as dishes and succeeded, but I don't know if this is true or not!!! But as for the frequencies, it's all radiation at the end of the day, just these signals are tighter than Radio, VHF or UHF signals...

Erm, not tried that before, but I don't think it would be a good idea to try to... :D

By the way, any ideas on how to build a replacement antenna for my CB's using some of my satellite cable? Lost the SWR meter but there's plenty on eBay so I could get one from there to adjust the signal output to prevent my tranceiver parts from overloading and blowing up.... :D

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Sat coax is 75ohm and the rear end of a CB is 50ohm IIRC, so you are looking at an impedance mismatch before you even try to get the antenna length correct.
Just get some RG58 and use that instead and split it into shield and centre conductor outside the window, each side being a quarter wave length in the 11mtr band so you end up with a half wave dipole cable clipped to your wall vertically. Make it slightly (4 or 5 inches) too long, then SWR it with a pair of wire cutters.

Simple huh ???

L.

bombuzal

Дурak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and

My Location
Newcastle, UK
as Lancelot said :]

10m to 1m/VHF bands are fun since there's alot more antenna to play with but not so much it's a pain in the arse like the low to mid HF frequencies lol - But you can still get good signals without line-of-sight unlike the higher cm bands :x

Shame though, everything is Ghz these days >:x

(incase you haven't noticed, yes - I like to talk alot of crap, alot of the time ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

bombuzal

Дурak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and

My Location
Newcastle, UK
Just thought I'd add something on-topic ;p

I ended up going for the Inverto LNB that's allover ebay at the moment ;D

Should arrive on Saturday on Monday I hope :]

Tomorrow I think I'll paint the dish - I want to put a nice picture on it too, not sure what though - thought about the Sirius logo, in Cyrillic :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bombuzal said:
Just thought I'd add something on-topic ;p

I ended up going for the Inverto LNB that's allover ebay at the moment ;D

Should arrive on Saturday on Monday I hope :]

Tomorrow I think I'll paint the dish - I want to put a nice picture on it too, not sure what though - thought about the Sirius logo, in Cyrillic :)

Good news then!!! :D

Why not paint it bright yellow with a smiley face on it like this - :)
Or bright green and a face like this - :D

bombuzal

Дурak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and

My Location
Newcastle, UK
lol ;-)

It arrived! :)) - I can't believe how small it is, it came in a box about the same size as those little spark-plug boxes :D

Anyway, got it setup - and it's working well, no more fluctuating BBC Prime signals and generally alot better reception :))

Though, it looks weird something so small being attached to such a big dish :>

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bombuzal said:
It arrived! :)) - I can't believe how small it is, it came in a box about the same size as those little spark-plug boxes :D

Anyway, got it setup - and it's working well, no more fluctuating BBC Prime signals and generally alot better reception :))

Though, it looks weird something so small being attached to such a big dish :>

Well, sounds like you're all sorted!!! :D

Now you just need to try your dish on some distant satellites on the edge of the visible arc... :D

I suppose I'll have to get one of those invertos myself and stick it on my Attisat and get that working again.... :D

bombuzal

Дурak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and

My Location
Newcastle, UK

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Looking good there!!! :D
I see what you mean about the LNB looking teeny on such a large dish... :D

From the eBay auctions those Invertos are 0.4dB, but yours says 0.3dB... :confused
Oh well, better to be safe than sorry when advertising... :D

So, what's the wife's verdict then? If there is one....:-rofl2