Word processer on Windows

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I need help before I go crazy.
Everytime I use the word processer to write a letter and then try to email it I keep getting my old provider (Virgin) and not my present one (AOL).
I have deleted all known references to Virgin, and put anything that I am not sure of in the bin, but it is still there - any idea's anyone !
P.S. have Windows 98 a)(2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
When you get the E-mail form up, does it give you the dropdown address choice, running XP here, so can't see what you are seeing.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Hi Rolf,
I'm afraid it does not, all I get is a box with Virgin's logo in the top right hand corner.
I used to have this problem with normal e-mail's, but I was able to delete everything from Virgin.
The funny thing was that I only got one e-mail from Virgin before I switched to AOL, and that was the Blaster virus which thankfully I spoted in time and deleted.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Which word processor are you using Rob, I have a laptop with 98 on it, perhaps I can check on that for you. Is it the MS Works package?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Hi Rolf,
As you said it is MS Works Package.
I go on to MS Works Word Processor and click letters, click start and then enter Works Letter Wizard. Select modern and click next, enter name, address, etc. click next, select I have plain paper click next, select do not include a recipient address click finish.
Write my letter and select e-mail, so far so good.
Then box appears saying New Message with the Virgin logo on the right. To the left are file, edit, view etc, etc.
In the From Box is the e-mail address which I had with Virgin, one box with To, another with Subject, and another with Attach. Underneath is an area for a message !
Hope this is of some help, thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just tried it on my version of Works Rob, when I select the send option in the File drop down menu, it brings up the standard E-mail template, at the top of which is the outgoing account dropdown with all of my E-mail account addresses.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hello Rob. Have you tried writing a letter in Word and saving it in 'My Documents' then right clicking on it and selecting 'send to - mail recipient'. Does that bring up AOL?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Thanks for your idea's Rolf & Jimbo, but I'm afraid no joy they both take me back to my little Virgin.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Do you use outlook express for your AOL mail Rob, or do you use the AOL webmail?

If you go into Outlook Express, Tools/Accounts/Mail, what is listed there?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
I use AOL webmail Rolf.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There's your problem Rob, you need to enter the AOL POP3 details in outlook express for the Works word processor to use that address.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Finally, at last I'm a happy bunny.
I got in touch with AOL's help line and the answer is;
Click customise, click preferences, click association, then restart PC.

Thanks for your idea's Rolf and Jimbo, but as far as trying Outlook Express I'm afraid I deleted that about two days ago Rolf, because it had Outlook Express supplied by Virgin net.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Thanks for letting us know Rob, glad you are ok now.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Rob said:
Finally, at last I'm a happy bunny.
I got in touch with AOL's help line and the answer is;
Click customise, click preferences, click association, then restart PC.

Thanks for your idea's Rolf and Jimbo, but as far as trying Outlook Express I'm afraid I deleted that about two days ago Rolf, because it had Outlook Express supplied by Virgin net.

Most of these company branding problems on software can be cured quite easily with quick registry hacks, not complicated and readily available. My Outlook Express was Tiscali branded, as it came off one of their free disks, but it took a couple of seconds to edit out the details.

Outlook express is handy to retain though, as it can handle Hotmail as well

Not a lover of AOL and their software, had it for a few days on a laptop and had to completely strip it out due to problems it caused, even cancelled the free trial period less than half way through.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
rolfw said:
Outlook express is handy to retain though, as it can handle Hotmail as well

Not a lover of AOL and their software, had it for a few days on a laptop and had to completely strip it out due to problems it caused, even cancelled the free trial period less than half way through.
I'd second your comments Rolf. Well known as AOHell among IT people.