World Cup 2006

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
As the world cup is looming (and i cant wait ) i thought i would start a discussion thread, with the trend of the newspapers asking who should be going.

Dont just answer the questions... lets discuss... in a friendly way :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Right, I'm in there with votes cast. :)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
i wouldnt take Sol Campbell, i dont think hes good enough now... we have Rio and Terry as the main 2 central Defenders, with King and Brown as backup.

i would announce the new Manager after the World Cup, before the world cup would just be a distraction i think (thats why our FA will do it, cos they like shooting themself in the foot)

Captain.. Beckham, because i do believe he leads by example...in the Euro's he didnt perform, because like Owen this time... he's was coming back from injury.

My Heart says we CAN win it, but my brain cant see any farther than Brazil :(

Beckam with Lampard... others as subs.

i think Rooney will perform well in this years competition... if it wasnt for injury in the Euro's... well.... anyway, he's down for my top scorer.

Surely we cant be beaten on penalties again can we??? lol

Bobby Charlton, as my greatest England Player... because of the way he dominated midfield and made such an impact on a game.... in fact!!

we were World champions in 1966, and went to Mexico in 1970 and Charlton was again a big influence on England.
England was Champions and favourites to win it again, we got to the Quarter Finals and met Germany... England went 2-0 up and looked on course to win easily... Charlton was substituted in the 2nd half and the game completly changed!!! Beckenbauer who Charlton was marking and keeping quiet, ran riot!! and Germany won 3-2
Beckenbauer admitted after, that taking off Charlton was Englands downfall.....high praise indeed.

I should add though that Peter bonneti played in Goal, replacing Gordon Banks who was ill

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Had to add in a new item - dont really care who wins, I just like watching the little teams who have no hope of winning playing in the first 2 rounds :D

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
i am pretty suprised at the votes for Peter Crouch and the amount of people who think England will win it...

Hope there right, but i cant see it...

i wonder if worth looking to see if Ronaldinho has a English grandad lol

mind you waste of time, he has already played for his country :(

jetkis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate twin tuner 7100HD
Motorised Fracarro Penta 85cm
Don't have Sky
My Location
Oxford
One thing to me is obvious, we can't have Gerrard and Lampard in the same team, the shape is not right.

My team would be;

Robinson
Neville
Ferdinand
Terry
Cole if fit, if not Bridge
Joe Cole
Carrick
Lampard
Beckham
Rooney
Owen

Subs;
Gerrard
Crouch
Wes Brown
Defoe
James

I just hope Beckam stays on the right and stops coming inside all the time.

I thought Carrick had an excellent game the lat time I saw him which is why he gets the shout over Ledley King

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Must admit, i have been very impressed With Ledley King when hes played for England... he may play great for tottenham, but i dont see any Spurs games (will tomorrow though lol)

but like i say for England hes been Solid!!! its great we can have great players like King and Wes Brown as backup in case of injury etc, because it looks like Ferdinand and Terry are first choice.

and even in midfield we have choices too...up front Defoe isnt a mug either!!

choices choices choices :) great stuff...
in the past we have had a great first 11 but no backup!! then what happens, a key player gets suspended or injured, and its a case of get the next flight home :(
Not this time, we actually have a good SQUAD :)

every world cup our hopes are on just one player performing to win us games Gazza, Bryan Robson, Gary Lineker, David Beckam, Wayne Rooney...

and that just the last few world cups!! and what happened...they all either got injured or suspended... and in Beckhams case (Red Card) got the blame for us coming home?

Squads win competitions not individual players, so lets get it on!!!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hey, what a fantastic poll! Well done m8, a cracker.

And well done on turning Blue!!! :) I knew you were a secret Blues fan after all... :-bash :-rofl2 :p

I would have John Terry as captain. There is simply nobody to compare. Not even close. I can't decide who England's best player ever is/was, but it could surely be John in the future.

I think jetkis has got it about right as well.

jetkis for England manager!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
:rolleyes: It's started...

Tottenham and England defender Ledley King will miss the rest of the season and is a major doubt for the World Cup after fracturing a bone in his foot. The 25-year-old was injured during Saturday's win at Everton after a clash with Duncan Ferguson but played on, only limping off in the 90th minute.
Spurs confirmed on Monday that King had suffered the break, but said they hoped he would return within four weeks

Source: BBC

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Ashley cole, Ledley King, Michael Owen....

somebody up there doesnt like us!! happens every time...

with a bit of luck they will all make it... and fingers crossed no-one else gets an injury!!

PS
Added a few more options on the Poll
Reason: Cos i can now :D

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Hey!!! Michael Owen is in the Newcastle squad for saturdays game at West Brom tomorrow

good news for England :)