WorldSpace Communications

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Just a silly thought, but...

WorldSpace transmit from E21 in the range between 1452 and 1492 MHz.

My STB has an input frequency of 950 - 2150 Mhz.

Why can't I use a piece of damp string instead of a dish and an LNB - Which I understand serves to convert the higher frequencies of our usual birds to the above range -, and point it in the general direction of Afristar to receive the transmissions which are sent in a "technique of compression defined by the international standard ISO MPEG II" - rough translation?

Or perhaps a small home made aerial?

I know it won't work but can one of the tech chaps explain in laymanese why not? please!

Regards to all

W Hole

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Without identifying what Worldspace transmit in (there are many MPEG systems in use) its not possible to determine whether your standard receiver can get the radio in the clear

Domestic receivers understand MPEG 4:2:0 and not a lot else

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello CH

Thanks for reply.

In French is says:

Elle repose sur l'utilisation de la technique de compression définie par la norme internationale ISO MPEG II couche 3.

Does this mean anything to you?

Regards

Fred F.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Cop this link http://www.howstuffworks.com/satellite-radio4.htm , I lost interest when i saw the price of the receiver and the monthly suscription. Yet more pay to access, just what we need.

Rolf

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Anyone know what : "MPEG II couche 3" is?

Regards

W. H.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would guess at MPEG 2 Level or Layer 3, but don't really know as literal translations can be very misleading.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You will need more than a wetpiece of string

The frequency of L band means a Yagi type arrangement (usually about 20 dipoles ) followed by a Low Noise Amplifier stage

Z

zed44

as far i know in French MPEG-II layer 3 is the official name for the MP3 music file format. It could be coherent if worldspace transmit radio
hope it will help

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-Feb-02 AT 04:02 PM (GMT)]Hello CH

I have seen some pictures of Yagis being used on a german site. But this was only for the beams not directed to that area.

The commercial receivers designed for this service have an itegrated Aerial, and/or a small device which can be placed on the window sill.

This is a service designed for mass usage on 'portable' equipment.

Regards

W Hole

From the previous posting it looks as though MPEG may be the problem..

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The polished equipment will have an integrated areial or plate, designed to be aesthetically pleasing and not take your kids eye out when it falls over. It will not be as efficient as a correctly pointed yagi arrangement.

The L band frequency used is sort of half way where both reflective parabolas and yagis work with the same sort of efficiency.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
From what I was reading, it would appear that they are using a 128kbit/sec data stream, so it certainly ain't going to be Hi-Fi, reasonable quality MP3 at best.

Rolf