Worms battle for turf

N

net1

A virtual blitz of worms is descending on the Internet. In the past four days, six new variants of the mass-mailing Bagle worm and two new variants of the Netsky worm have been spotted in the wild, ITWeb reports.

“It's interesting to note that a variant of Netsky attempts to remove a variant of Bagle, Bagle.C. It looks like a turf war out there, with the bad guys fighting over the infected computers,” says Ken Dunham, director of malicious code at iDefense.

Mikko Hypponen, director of anti-virus research at F-Secure, says the new Bagle variants – Bagle.C, D, E, F, G and H – appear to have been written by the same virus author. The new variants surfaced in quick succession from Friday.

“It seems the writer is waging a virus war,” he notes. “Apparently he has been monitoring closely how quickly the anti-virus vendors have released detections, then made the necessary alterations to avoid detection and released the new versions immediately.”

war head

Reaction score
What drives these people

Cant they find anything more constructive to do with their undoubted talents

ha ha ha

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Not being picky but I believe the worm is called beagle....rather than bagle. Norton have versions A - K covered.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Q. Whats worse than finding a worm in your bagel?

A. Half a worm

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
Just annoying...

Using mailwasher i delete the crap on the mailserver, bounce mail i do not want.

Never open an attachment too ;)

Cheers,

Cor.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've now stopped bouncing mail (this week) and delete only, was getting too many undelivered notification back.

Mate of mine also made a valid point, that by bouncing everything it is just propogating more and more mail, therefor slowing up the system even more.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
>COR< said:
Just annoying...

Using mailwasher i delete the crap on the mailserver, bounce mail i do not want.

Never open an attachment too ;)

Cheers,

Cor.
Ditto here Cor. :-righton

N

net1

jimbo said:
Not being picky but I believe the worm is called beagle....rather than bagle. Norton have versions A - K covered.

Sorry Jimbo but I think you will find that this is correct.

Code in Mydoom.F, Bagle.I and Bagle.J

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Perhaps they should call it Bugle, as it makes you sick when you get it. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
rolfw said:
Perhaps they should call it Bugle, as it makes you sick when you get it. :)
ROFLOL .....let's settle for that. :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I suspect it's bagel but the program writer didn't have spelling as his number one priority...

PaulR