Worth fine tuning?

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
Hi all

When I first installed my motorised dish everything sort of fell in place, after aligning the dish at Thor (took a while tho) I then checked 30W, 19E and received excellent picture quality on the screen even though signal quality is 66%. I was so thrilled with my first attempt I tightened all the screws and started focusing on the receiver side of things. I have enjoyed many months of total football and the odd movies. Now that the summer is here and no football I am thinking is it worth messing with the dish to pick other satellites.

Here is my signal reading:
28E - Q64%, S65% BROKEN pictures n Sound
19E - Q80% S66% CLEAR picture & Sound
1W - Q100% S66% CLEAR picture & sound
30W - Q100% S66% CLEAR picture & sound

So my question is what can I do to improve the signal quality especially on 28E?

Many thanks in advance
with regards
rai

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
What size is your dish?

And where are you located?

The information above will help with your replies.

If you're like me you always think you can squeeze that last few % of signal out.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
the dish is triax88cm, motor SG2100. location manchester.

regards
rai

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Should get better 28E than that on a Triax 88.

I would make sure that yor dish face is at 90deg to the motor when at 0' then drive round to 28E and just move the dish face up and down by a few mm each way without loosening the bolts, and if the signal improves then your elevation needs a slight tweek. Remember to re-check each end of your arc if you are going to move the settings in any way as you may find a slight decrease in signal at the other end.

Keep us posted :)

L.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Who installed it? If you did it yourself then maybe you can squeeze more signal.

If you're going to 'fine tune' it, make sure you mark the setting on both the dish and motor before you change anything. That help to get you back if anything goes wrong.

If I were you, and determined to try and get any extra signal, I would point the dish at 28'E and move the LNB slightly using a signal meter or someone watching the TV (that can talk to you - use a walkie-talkie or a mobile phone).

If the picture improves then lock the dish.

Check all the other positions just incase it has knocked them off.

Come back and let us know how you get on.

:-doh! That fast typing Lancelot gets in first again....

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yep & that'll teach me (didn't mention skew adjust like you did)O-Ha

L.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
back again as promised.

I have tried above suggestions, on 28E quality improved to 100% from 65% after moving the dish slightly upwards. checked 30W and 13E they both maintained 100% quality. but the Signal strength always been around 66% on all satellites, i tried adjusting the motor elevation on 1W but could not achieve any better. On 30W the dish faces a clear sky so there is no obstruction in signal path. If I remember correctly when I was assmebling the kit on the ground (many months ago) I did managed to get 100% on both Signal and Quality.

btw, How do I skew the lnb? technicaly confused on this one. The lnb arm is locked to the dish on factory setting and the lnb itself(invacom .3db) the neck being longer than the holder, is adjusted(by observing the picture quality) to correct distance from the dish.

once again many thanks for your suggestions.
regards
rai

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have read it may be done electronically via receiver set up but I have no experience of it. Skew that is!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
btw, How do I skew the lnb?

It's just twisting it in it's dish collar to achieve maximum signal strength as although motors and mounts are good they are not perfect.

L.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Lancelot said:
It's just twisting it in it's dish collar to achieve maximum signal strength as although motors and mounts are good they are not perfect.

L.

tried that too, signal wont go above 66%. Is my dish following the arc correctly because I get the same reading on end to end satellites?

regards
rai