Worth the extra?

Stephen W

Reaction score
My Location
Norfolk
I am considering buying a motorised satellite system and would be grateful for some advice please. Is there much added value in buying a receiver that takes both digital and analogue over one that just receives digital? My supplier wants
an additional £80 for the combined receiver over the single one and I just
don't know if it would be worth it. I am very keen to receive as many French,
Italian and German channels as I can. Do I need analogue therefore to
realise this wish?
Thanks and Happy New Year,
Stephen W:confused

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Digital only (with a positioner) would not have been my first choice, but since M6, TF1, A2 and Fr3 are still in analogue on 5W then it requires the bit that could be obselete next year, or next week.

It might be worth looking at digital only, and 'borrow' an analogue receiver on the loopthrough until they disappear. They are also in SECAM which means you get them in black and white, without the right TV.

Stephen W

Reaction score
My Location
Norfolk
Thanks. Sorry to be ignorant but what is loopthrough please?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The digital receiver will have a set of two connectors on the back of the box, one for the input from the dish, and one output to connect to another receiver

In standby the digital receiver will be passive to signals and pass them straight through to the receiver connected in tandem.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Ok I have an analogue box that I never use...A Morgan Kingston DISEqC 1.0

If anyone wants this box they can have it for free, will post at my expence, But the person who takes this box must make a Donation to the board ( small one ).

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
It's also a good idea to buy 'What Satellite TV' magazine... towards the back they publish a Digital receiver comparison guide which shows the difference between receivers and what they recomend!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Its not a good idea to buy What Satellite magazine. Alway ask your friendly newsagent for one of the previous month unsold copies.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Heh heh... you tight sod hopper!.....an I spose the money you saved doin that helps towards Ducati parts!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Next time I have the urge to buy one, I will hold back and put the money towards the forum

Dont forget any written publication dealing with satellite/broadcast is likely to have 'news' thats a few weeks old, most of which is already reported here, and the environmental costs of the whole process of getting a magazine to your door, and then out again a month later for disposal/recycling, really makes the whole written mag thing worthless.

As for the Ducati, its ready to go for the Spring, I wouldnt take it out in the English winter as it would corrode in a few minutes. Better with the Japanese ones which sit outdoors in all weather. They dont build them much better than a Honda.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Well although I am inclined to agree with you regarding the Duke.....and yes I think Honda's are a good solid bike......I have to be biased to Suzuki's...never boring and full of thrills...like my 'Widow maker' heh heh......(he who dare's rodney).....although I have sorted the tank slappers out now and the handling has become some what predictable and boring!...in a way i'm starting to miss the ole girl shaking her head.......have you tried the Avon Xtremes hopper? good tyres m8

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Havent bought a tyre for years, I seem to get all the rubber thrown in with either wheels, or complete basket cases off eBay.

Even the Duke has a spare set of wets on wheels in the shed.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
I managed to buy a brand new set off a mate whom was testing for Goodyear...£145.00 a good deal too.....only problem was I got too confident when scrubbing them in and nearly got hysided on a roundabout near Boxhill!....their ok now though....headache I have is now i will have to buy new rearsets as i have buggered the toe's on two set's of boots..

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
waverider said:
£145.00 a good deal too...
£145 for rubber ? You was robbed !

I bought this from a website last week (Id have got it earlier but thought nobody would leave this one up for grabs for so long) I only wanted the engine for some parts but appear to have a complete track vehicle. Only thing missing is the clutch cable.

Honda XBR500 Race Bike (1/12/2003)
A mate of mine needs to clear his garage..... Honda XBR500 (single cylinder), Phil Joy engine, gas flowed, reprofiled cam, big valves, high compression piston, large Amal carb, Harris exhaust, standard rolling chassis, spare rear sprockets in four different gearings, endless chain, TZ250 fairing & seat unit. Not used for 12 years (!), so needs a rebuild. Going cheap at just £250
If you're interested, call John or Alan

Now almost rebuilt, engine is rather perky but no apparent wear inside. And it has roadgoing Avons AM 2 and 23s in low profile and in excellent condition.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Would make some one a good project hopper.....unfortunatly i'm involved in refitting my boat at the moment..which would appear to be a money pit!......do you know of Tech Moto hopper? ( Ducati boys!) Mick & Wayne are good mates of mine! and dont live too far from me.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dont know them

Got any links ?

I'm not a racetracker by the way (done a couple of Honda/Cadwell days thats all) , modding road bikes is my first line of business, with a small bit of off roading, but that could be my lack of driving skill !

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Analogue signals have their use in lining up on a satellite and there has been foootball on analogue channels FTA MPEG.
As far as mags are concerned, they have their uses but shouldn't be taken as gospel and neither, for that matter, should be what's found on the web in every case. There's a fair amount of misinformation going around.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Analogue MPEG ?

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
You can pick up perfectly good analogue receivers for receiving French TV from Atlantic Bird 5°W in the French DIY sheds for much less than £80. The savings could be worthwhile if you were planning a trip over the Channel anyway. Leroy Merlin had one with the universal LNB and 80cm steel dish included for 40 euros when I was over there last week. If you're really keen on French TV (can't think why anyone should be other than for educational purposes ;) ), it might even be worth your while to put up the second dish (space and nosey planners permitting). Then you could watch one satellite broadcast while recording another.

The French analogue satellite broadcasts should continue to be publically available for some time to come as many French households without good terrestrial TV reception depend on them. The main French terrestrial channels are only available on digital satellite with a TPS subscription. I don't think there is much chance of the government blacking out the TV screens or forcing people to switch to digital satellite in an election year. That said, every so often sporting rights owners make noises about their property being broadcast unencrypted to the whole of Europe so there is always a possibility that individual programmes might be blacked out.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Channel Hopper said:
Analogue MPEG ?
Whoops...PAL sorry. As DSF Sport in MPEG and PAL on 19E.