Would like to receive Danish Channels

gwfb16

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish currently pointed at Hotbird
My Location
Northampton, UK
Hi Expat. Hoping you can help. My wife's Danish (from Hjorring) and we now live in Northampton, UK. We've a dish pointed at Hotbird, but it sadly lacking any Danish TV. I'm having a heck of a job finding out what satellite we should be aiming at. Thor II looked promising, but doesn't appear to fit the bill, so to speak. Any suggestion would be most welcome and assure you of a few Gamel Dansk this Jule.

zola25

Reaction score
Thor and Sirius are the two sats but nothing at all FTA so you will have to get a sub or try CS if you have the right reciever.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have moved this from the Astra 28.2 section, as it has nothing to do with that satellite and EXPAT has not posted on the forum for a couple of years.

Not much free to air from Denmark I'm afraid. http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Denmark.html

gwfb16

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northampton, UK
Thanks Rolf & Zola. (and thanks for moving - it's a maize here)
I'm also completely new to all this, so have no idea what the acronyms mean, but I gather there's little that's free.

So I guess it's hand in pocket time. Two questions:
1) Which satellite provides a good range of Danish Television?
2) Given that we have a de-coder/box which will take cards, who can we buy the pay to view cards from?

Very simple answers would be most appreciated.

dasteelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm transparent dish
85cm Penta Dish (motored)
Black Ultra LNB
VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Quali-TV (4:2:2)
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
1) 1west...a good package is canal nordic (danish version )_www.lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigital.html

2) canal nordic is encrypted in conax, therefore a receiver with conax cam, or a receiver with an emulater capable or conax is required. and of course a card.. google satellite cards...theres plenty of shops that will sell....these will be inflated prices...unless you can get a card registerd in denmark. Other option is C@rd sharing....although this quite a taboo subject

zola25

Reaction score
Best thing to do would be to get your wifes family to get a sub and then post the card to you.If you already have a reciever to use on astra they can get a sub and reciever for one kroner and post both to you,in my opinion canal digital is better than viasat but take a look at both packages.

gwfb16

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northampton, UK
zola25 said:
Best thing to do would be to get your wifes family to get a sub and then post the card to you.If you already have a reciever to use on astra they can get a sub and reciever for one kroner and post both to you,in my opinion canal digital is better than viasat but take a look at both packages.

I'm really, really sorry to sound as thick as a plank, but I'm seriously struggling to understand all this satellite stuff. (Possibly due to being 60+)

We have a Fortec Star Delta, described as a, "Digital Satellite Receiver with Common Interface". Currently it's hooked up to a dish pointing at Hotbird.

I'm assured the Fortec can take an additional "gizmo" to allow us to add a card reader. And so I think it boils down to two questions?

1) What satellite or satellites should we be pointing at? Is there more than one?

2) Who in Denmark should we contact/telephone to get/purchase a card which will allow us to watch DR1, DR2, TV2?

Ironically I'm meeting up with a number of UK based Danes here in Northampton on Thursday who are asking exactly the same questions.

George.

zola25

Reaction score
There are two sats for Danish tv one is Thor at 1west the other is sirius at 5 east,Canal digital is at 1west which you need a conax cam for which you can add to your current reciever.Viasat at 5 east is encrypted in NDS so you would need a new reciever from viasat.
Leagaly thay cant sell you a card outside Denmark you will find some dealers who will but will charge crazy prices+ayearly fee.As i mentioned before the best bet for you and your friends would be to contact a relative or friend here in Denmark and get them to take out a subscription for you in there name post the card to you and you pay them.
In my opinion canal digital is the best bet, you do not need a new reciever just a cam and you also get the English football as well as the Danish channels.

Mike Papesch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No current satellite
My Location
London
gwfb16 said:
Hi Expat. Hoping you can help. My wife's Danish (from Hjorring) and we now live in Northampton, UK. We've a dish pointed at Hotbird, but it sadly lacking any Danish TV. I'm having a heck of a job finding out what satellite we should be aiming at. Thor II looked promising, but doesn't appear to fit the bill, so to speak. Any suggestion would be most welcome and assure you of a few Gamel Dansk this Jule.

Hi there, I would also like to get Danish TV on satellite. Can you help me? My wife is from Copenhagen, and our little girl is learning both languages. TV will help.

If you can help, please contact me via my vcard,

Thanks alot

Mike Papesch

Gaza 1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3Mtr Laser PF invacom .3 lnb and laser feed horn AD3000VAICP Cards Cams all the other Stuff
Annie 204 Spectrum
My Location
Fetihye S/w Turkey
Hi
I have done a few of these when i was back in the uk DR1/DR2 Etc
these are on 1 deg west in conex encryption.
Next time you are across in denmark go in to a satellite shop give a danish address and ask for what is is called a local a card do not tell them you are taken it of denmark there is a subsciption to pay yearly

Here in the uk you will need an 80cm dish and a receiver which will do the conax encryption either with cam or built in