Would like to subscribe to Sky from continent. But having a small problem with diseqc

sulu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multytenne.
My Location
Germany
Greetings,

I'm in a bit of a problem here. I am slowly but surely switching over from Analog to Digital Satellite TV.
And now I would like to enjoy SkyTV. The Variety Mix is interesting me most of all.

I'm living in Germany and since the Landlords are a bit.. special..about dishes I have settled for the Multytenne. The as small as it gets dish with 4 LNB's pointed at the 4 important satellite positions and diseqc integrated.

My reception of the 28.2 Sattelite is pretty sufficient.

My problem now is, 28.5 Astra is in the diseqc B/A position. (Position 3)

As we all know the Sky Boxes don't support Diseqc. (I take it this information is still up to date).

So I am forced to use a normal DVB-S Receiver. Seeing I don't want to do without HDTV either,
I'll be using a DVB-S2 Receiver of some sort and use the Sky Card in it with a Diablo Cam. (As it appears that is the only viable option that I have)

Which leads me to the problem.
I suppose I will eventually run into problems doing the regular Card activation that must be done
through a sky box. Seeing how i can't use a sky box here.

What options do I have now? I suppose I could buy a Dreambox and then use it for the occasional card activation procedure? Other than that, is there any viable solution to my problem? Other than installing a second dish of course. (I am already happy IF the landlord will not complain about the first one)

I'm happy for any ideas.

Regards, Sulu

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As far as I know, you will not be able to subscribe to Sky HD, unless you have a Sky HD box initially (I could be wrong) and if you don't pay the extra £10 per month, then there is no other HD for you to receive on that satellite.

There are DiseqC switching units available, they are normally used for changing the switching with non-DiseqC meters. Not sure how much they are, but will have a search.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

sulu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multytenne.
My Location
Germany
Thanks for your reply. I'm gonna study that website you linked right now.

Yeah I suppose I will have to accept not being able to get Sky HD, but I hope to be able to get at least Sky Variety and Sky Music. There's a few German HD Channels that's why the DVB-S2 Receiver. But if this diseqc switching unit works, then I should have no trouble using a skybox once in a while to reactivate the card. That would be great.

How exactly is this working tho? Is it modifying the existing diseqc signal so that Position 3 somehow comes to Position 1?

The Dish is this:
http://www.mirec.sk/images/Multytenne_45_big.gif
Yeah it's 45cm.

My reception of 28.2 is surprisingly good btw. I did not have any problems during medium rain and phases of light thunder/storminess the last weeks.
Especially ITV and the regional BBC's come in quite well. BBC Parliament is weaker but still fine tho.
I have however not had a chance yet to test it intensively. So I don't know about the differences between night and day.

I am in:
Lat:
51:22:23N (51.3729)
Lon:
7:41:57E (7.6993)

(+/- 5miles)

EDIT:
I've had the first read through that webby you linked thanks.
I'm assuming the item we're talking about is this?
http://www.globalprofessional.co.uk/acatalog/Splitter_mod.html
How is it gonna solve my diseqc problem tho? It appears all it does is split
the one incoming signal into two? (For people that want 2 receivers on one dish?)

Or does this item actually split the 4 diseqc signals (Astra 19.2, 13, 28,5, 23,5) that my dish outputs into 4 discrete ones?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
So you're about 30 Kilometres South East of Dortmund?

I'm surprised that you get good reception of 2D there with an offset feed on such a small dish, but that is useful information, perhaps you could lg your details on our Astra 2D reception map. :)

The page you link to isn't what I was refering to, this is the one.

sulu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multytenne.
My Location
Germany
rolfw said:
So you're about 30 Kilometres South East of Dortmund?

Yep exactly =)

My Receiver (Technisat) displays a Signalquality of 72-85 Percent depending on the channel. (Parliament is 7x - strong BBC chans are 85)
And a Signalquality of between 45 and 65 Percent. (Which is displayed as 4,5 - 6,8 db)

On a average day with light clouding and light rain. Like we've had alot over here the last 2 weeks.

I suppose these values are not what people with 120cm dishes consider "strong reception". But Considering the Dish size I think this is surprisingly good :D

The Dish btw, is not yet "fine-tuned". I moved it until I had a signal and then left it at that. I'd imagine I could get another 5 percent or so by playnig around with elevation and all that but I'll probably just leave it like this for now.

perhaps you could lg your details on our Astra 2D reception map.
sure. Will do so right now.

The page you link to isn't what I was refering to, this is the one.

Ah! So THAT item actually splits my 4-er Diseqc into 4 discrete Channels and then outputs one of them?

Do you have any idea what price this kinda item has? (roughly?)