Would you start this hobby still today ?

peige

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
SE UK
Following my interest in getting a Broadband internet downlink through my sky dish i have been led into the world of multi satellite systems.

I've been chating to my father who had a moterised system for years until he moved and he's now looking at a new system and he's got me interested in the whole thing as a hobby, from finding the live channels to downloading keys and updates and programming the cards etc.

All sounds like good fun to me... plus you get the extra channels and a better class of nature programs too :cool:

I've been looking on the internet for info on it and i found this forum which i've been reading for a couple of days now before i post :)

From what i can see its a fast changing game, which i don't mind, but at the moment some of the encryptions seem to be beyond us and generally people seem to be mourning the loss of channels etc.

So my (rather long winded) question is, If you didn't have any of the kit and didn't know what you were missing would you bother starting again today ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well for me Peige, its mainly the hardware and getting it all up and running. Its nice to get an encrypted channel to clear but it really is of secondary importance to me. :)

PS. Moved this to Chit Chat, more people will see it and be likely to respond.

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
they say: it's not the winning but the taking part .... nothing worth more than to see the result of hours of hair tearing, blood, sweat and tears: a clear channel ... dream on...
:D

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
If this question is actually asking whether we would start today given that many of the hacks are being closed down with the introduction of more secure second-generation encryption systems, then consider this: many of us here started on the hobby before any of the recent digital hacks came to light in the first place...

My personal greatest pleasure is in feed-hunting. Perhaps it satisfies both a desire for something off-beat as well as some latent voyeuristic tendency. I imagine the millions of people who vegetate in front of Big Brother would also gain a similar thrill from locating and watching a transmission that was never intended for public consumption. You never quite know what you might suddenly stumble upon. During the invasion (er sorry, liberation) of Iraq, I came across a feed broadcast from the site of that friendly-fire debacle in Northern Iraq. Suffice it to say that the unedited images left me with a better appreciation of the horror that had befallen that convoy.

2old

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Firstly if 2old doesn't mind too much I'd like to align my views with his comments because that's how I enjoy the hobby.

Additionally, I've always been into things 'electronic' and PCs and satellite technology have given me an interest, loads of pleasure and a source of income (PCs).

A lot of my current knowledge of the satellite world has developed and improved through this site and I'm grateful to everyone who give up copious amounts of their time. They know who they are.