'X2: X-Men United' to beat pirates by conquering the world

N

net1

The mutants of X2: X-Men United may have their work cut out defeating the forces rallying against them but the studio executives behind the film appear to have found an effective, and surprisingly non-technological, new weapon against movie piracy: the co-ordinated global release.

Having brought an estimated E140m into the coffers of Fox Studios over its opening weekend, the strategy of launching X2 worldwide in over 90 countries simultaneously has paid dividends in short-circuiting the window of opportunity enjoyed by pirates from a staggered release. The big-bang distribution of X2 has created a global event that looks likely to prove extremely lucrative: the original X-Men brought in global revenues of E260m. X2 already looks set to make much than that.

Fox’s distribution strategy did not come without risks, of course. In the past, staggered global releases have meant that the success, or otherwise, of film release in the US would be used to gauge future marketing strategies across the rest of the globe – a means of either building up interest or ensuring damage limitation. The cost of a blockbuster that turns out to be a global turkey could be catastrophic for the individual movie studios.

Nevertheless, many of the big movies this season are due to take the global route, including the two coming sequels to The Matrix. In addition, Hollywood is attempting to improve the security of its digital distribution of movies to cinema servers in the US through encoded satellite signals.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
new weapon against movie piracy: the co-ordinated global release.

Not new, Bollywood film companies have been releasing cinema and video rental for a couple of years.

ScabbyDoo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Althought this movie was released globally. pirates have stuil gotten the film out on the day after, if not on the same day so it really has made no difference.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I don't think that they expected to beat the first day copies, their idea was to decrease the demand for the pre-screening releases, by making the official cinema version available for viewing.

Gotta say that I don't watch internet download films anymore, the quality normally ranges from unwatchable to diabolical.

ScabbyDoo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw, that is a lot of peoples perception of early releases but wait for later releases like PRERETAIL dvd versions of the film and the demand for this is a lot more than of those off P2P file sharing programs.

and you also dont need to worry about how i know this stuff

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, enough said ScabbyDoo, we are not even having this conversation. ;)

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Seen it a few months back (ok except the chinese subtitles) at least i think its chinese. DAVE.

ScabbyDoo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Dave i seriously doubt you saw it a few months back
i thin they had a few screening sessions and they where under strict security. and the only verson i have seen with subtitilts was released on the the premier day so, dont lie :D

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
IF you want i`ll send u a copy (every 20mins or so a legal notice about private screening scrolls up the screen) i think this was originally sent to diff countrys as a selling point, (i put up with this as its far better than the heads moving around in the cinema as with other vcd`s) and its very good quality.