Xtreme Receiver

BUGGLES

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Could anyone tell me if the xtreme receiver is as good as it sounds.
As it has a built in multicam how is this programmed,does it do it automatically or do you have to reprogramme it each time you want to use a different card

thanx

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There was a question last month about these receivers Buggles, unfortunately they are pretty new and no members seem to have any experience of them.

They would appear to be a knock off of the Dream Box and certainly appear to be well specified, but as to their performance?

The UCAS is supposedly an inbuilt version of the Magic Module, so should work with a range of original cards, but I believe will crash with the latest Penta 1.11 software, I'm not convinced that this is a receiver for the novice, but I'm sure that someone will prove me wrong.

Rolf

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
I have a Xtreme PVR. Its my first receiver as I'm new to satellite TV so I don't really have anything to compare it with. Having said that I am reasonably happy with it considering the features you get for the price.

There are issues with the digital output (TOS) on some earlier models. I.e. Dolby digital apparently stutters. These machines need a hardware upgrade to fix the problem. The models made after April are fine.

I have an Aston rotor but I cannot get USALS to work, although I can automatically rotate my 78cm dish when selecting 'Motor' in the Settings menu, manually rotating the dish and storing each position.

One great feature is that while watching a broadcast, you can hit 'rewind' button just like when watching a VCR. This is apart from the timeshift function which kicks in when you hit the pause button. In the latter case the TV picture actually pauses. Hitting the pause button a second time starts playback from the moment you pressed pause the first time. Its possible fast forward and rewind when using the pause function.

One quirk I found was in the timed recording menu, you enter the start time and the 'duration'. This took me a while to figure out after filling the hard disk with hour s of material. I am used to entering the end time on my VCR, not the duration. )(-red

The menu's are pretty clear and easy to understand.

I am in the Netherlands (ex pat) where Canal Digitaal rule. The built in U-CAS accepts the Canal Digitaal mediaguard card without any problems. I have heard that pentacrypt sometimes hangs on Canal+, tetracrypt is supposed work fine though. Just in case I installed tetracrypt.

Picture and sound quality are good, even in bad weather. I normally get around 84-88% on Astra1 and Astra2.

The manual, is crap. It basically just tells you have to switch on the receiver and skips through some of the menu options. Some features such as USALS only get a brief mention. Manuals can be downloaded here: http://www.xtreme-stb.com/db/downloads.asp

On the whole the Xtreme is a decent machine. As with anything you buy these days. Ask the dealer if you can return it with a full refund if it doesn't meet your expectations...

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
There's a review in June's "What Satellite" for what it's worth. Interestingly Wotsat says the Xtreme is a rebadged (and UCAS reengineered) Kaon (spelling?) receiver.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
It is made by Kaon according to some of the Dutch forums as well.

amdaley28

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hello Everybody.
I received information from a dealer whom I trust that the PVR version has problems.
Regards.
amdaley28:)

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
PVR version produced before the 9th of April 2003 have problems. I.e. the optical output doesn't function correctly when a hard disk is installed. Models made before this date need to have a hardware upgrade. Models made after this date do not have the problem. I have one of these and it works fine.

See: http://www.xtreme-stb.com/content/xtreme_faq_1.htm