Yet another CCTV question - ubiquitous DVR recorder.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Another client has a third party home security from around five years ago.
I've upgraded with a new hard drive after the first went belly up, plus replaced a pair of 720 cameras with two 1080 low light level IR Sannce C51ERs (which are surprisingly good for the £15 asking price).

So they now have three static cameras of the usual BNC connection plus parallel 12V supply feed, the DVR has a provision for five more , plus additional IP capability. I really don't want to be running more cables through their loft since they also have some Cat 5E up there which I've utilised and I've managed to get the DVR to recognise (and operate) a cheap PTZ camera through the ethernet port on the rear. The trouble is I can't get all four cameras to operate simultaneously, it's either the single PTZ, or the static units.

I'm almost certain this is a limitation of the DVR itself, but before I give up and advise buying another that works with the combination, has anyone managed to get both analogue and IP to run/record together on a hard drive ?

Thanks in advance.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
isnt it time they ditched the analogue system, and went with POE IP cameras....why complicate life, its complicated enough

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Two out of the three existing cameras have coax/twin DC cables running to them, cemented into the walls and under a patio out back.

I suppose I could convert these to an ethernet wiring loom of sorts, but the images from the replacement cameras is now as good as they need (in particular at night), for an outlay of just over £30.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
What about these too pricey?
click

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I don't really want to change any more of the system, with perhaps add two more static cameras if pushed.
The PTZ one here would cover both areas currently out of range. I just want to work one IP camera at the same time as the three cabled items.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
So I do not really know how to get to what you want without spending money, certainly, a PTZ can be controlled over coax but would require some sort of purchase I am sure, have you approached @chris

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It's just an answer from somebody that has tried similar, all equipment sourced and on site, no money involved.

If it isn't possible then I'll source a second DVR to run in parallel.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

I've read through the above link a number of times , whilst I understand the address of an analogue camera will be sacrificed when a digital camera is installed, I can't see where there is a complete restriction of analogue viewing/recording when IP is introduced onto the system.

Perhaps it is just a quirk of the particular DVR at the property.