You are about to lose this channel!

Snr_Paul

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm in N.E Spain and am receiving all channels (BBC,ITV,CH4 etc) without problem.
However, as of today I have a box popping up on my screen saying that I'm about to "lose this channel" and I should ring the telephone number on the screen.
This message appears on all the channels, even sky news, but not the BBC channels?

Is it them, or my card or what??

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Are you using one of the old light blue Sky cards Snr_Paul and is this a Free to View card?

Snr_Paul

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
err..one of these?.....FTA yes

a.JPG

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that's the old style, they will almost certainly be switched off in the near future and unfortunately the BBC channels will be the only UK public access channels that you will be able to receive.

Below is the new version.

thomo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
rolfw said:
Yes, that's the old style, they will almost certainly be switched off in the near future and unfortunately the BBC channels will be the only UK public access channels that you will be able to receive.

i am in southern spain using the old light blue card, having no problems as yet. surely if a message like that was being sent out we all who are using the old light blue card would be seeing it no ?? also, what if anything will sky achive by turning of the cards ?

Snr_Paul

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok..........so that's the problem.
What's the solution?

Could I, for example, obtain the new type card by using the method I used to obtain the FTA card (phone a friend etc)

What if I subscribe to the basic package for a year, and then don't renew the package? Will I keep the ITV channels?

What if I colour in the card so it looks like yours, will it work? :rolleyes:

Is there anyway round this?

Snr_Paul

PS Weebl and Bob rock!!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Quote... Could I, for example, obtain the new type card by using the method I used to obtain the FTA card (phone a friend etc)

Nope, sorry that method (FTV Card) was stopped at the beginning of this month. Apparantly all FTV cards for the last few months prior to this were the new type and so *should* last longer.

Quote... What if I subscribe to the basic package for a year, and then don't renew the package? Will I keep the ITV channels?

Yes, yes and yes. This is the way round the problem. Unfortunately you have pay Rupe some money! You have to use a friend/reative in the UK as official card holder. Don't forhet it it's effectively a 13 month subscription as you have to sign up for a year minimum and then give 1 month's notice.

PaulR

thomo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
sit tight for a bit, no one knows yet if the cards will be turned off, then i think if they are, many sky cards will appear for sale that open all free channels, ie out of contract sky cards, it seems these newest ones dont have to be married to box to open itv , ch4, ch5, if this is true, there will be a flood of them on the market for us guiris !!!!!!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
thomo said:
i am in southern spain using the old light blue card, having no problems as yet. surely if a message like that was being sent out we all who are using the old light blue card would be seeing it no ?? also, what if anything will sky achive by turning of the cards ?

They seem to sending out the warnings in stages Thomo, very similar to the way Sky issue new cards, the switch off may also be in stages.

Sky will achieve what was intended, an upgrade to their viewing cards and probably more sophistcated encryption.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
rolfw said:
They seem to sending out the warnings in stages Thomo, very similar to the way Sky issue new cards, the switch off may also be in stages.
Sky will achieve what was intended, an upgrade to their viewing cards and probably more sophistcated encryption.

They will also have a big influx of new suscribers if no FTV card is available, more money for the greedy Sky baron!! ^-J

Bobben

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Old FTV cards will definatly be switched off as BSkyB is changing to a more secure updated version of VideoGuard. At the moment all Sky channels is simulcrypted in two different VideoGuard systems or versions.

Those who have old FTV cards will definatly loose ITV,CH4 & CH5. The big question is how long the new version of FTV cards will work. If nobody pays Sky to update new FTV cards then I guess they could expire.

thomo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
so, can we say that after the switch off of fta cards, all we need is a card from a ex paying sky customer, will this card open itv etc, in a non married box ?

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Don't forhet it it's effectively a 13 month subscription as you have to sign up for a year minimum and then give 1 month's notice.

The above is what Sky would like you to believe and actually claim. But , a phone call to the trading standards people quickly gets them to change their minds and revert to a 12 month contract

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
PaulR said:
Don't forhet it it's effectively a 13 month subscription as you have to sign up for a year minimum and then give 1 month's notice.

PaulR

Why 13 months ???? You dont have to wait until the 12 months have expired to give your months notice resulting of course in 13 months. You could theoretically subscribe to SKY and on the same day cancel the sub to the end of the 12 months. Having to give a months notice doesnt mean you cant cancel the sub until after the initial 12 months only that at the earliest the payment will be stopped a month after you have cancelled. Of course you have to fulfill your minimum sub time.

DevonBrown said:
The above is what Sky would like you to believe and actually claim. But , a phone call to the trading standards people quickly gets them to change their minds and revert to a 12 month contract

Its also not what SKY claim. Its just a matter of reading the contract properly. Nowhere in the contract does it say that you are not allowed to cancel the sub until after the 12 months are up only that if you cancel beforehand the sub will continue running for the initial 12 months and if you cancel after the 12 months it will run for a further month. cancelling the sub prior to the end of the minimum running time will result in a 12 month contract and no longer.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Man, what a bloody drag this is. Can't they just leave us alone to watch some TV in peace and quiet??? 'O'

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If everyone bides their time, I'm pretty sure that some sort of agreement will be reached to provide FTV cards, even if they are not totally free. :)

thomo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
come on, is anyone going to tell us the logical way out of this card issue, because as the chief rollf told me yesterday, the message has hit me right down south of spain ! you are about to loose this channel. yes i am using the light blue card, changed it when sky threatened to do a card change over a year ago, should have left it alone, so now have to look for a good solution, of course without sub to sky @ £12 for what we all get & should get free !!!!!!!!!!!

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
methos_de said:
Why 13 months ???? You dont have to wait until the 12 months have expired to give your months notice resulting of course in 13 months. You could theoretically subscribe to SKY and on the same day cancel the sub to the end of the 12 months. Having to give a months notice doesnt mean you cant cancel the sub until after the initial 12 months only that at the earliest the payment will be stopped a month after you have cancelled. Of course you have to fulfill your minimum sub time.

Its also not what SKY claim. Its just a matter of reading the contract properly. Nowhere in the contract does it say that you are not allowed to cancel the sub until after the 12 months are up only that if you cancel beforehand the sub will continue running for the initial 12 months and if you cancel after the 12 months it will run for a further month. cancelling the sub prior to the end of the minimum running time will result in a 12 month contract and no longer.

fact: I tried to cancel in the middle of the 11th month of my contract. Sky refused to allow this saying that I could only cancel at the end of the 12 month contract. I argued but to no avail. they charged me for another month and I contacted trading standards at Livingston and received a letter of apology and a refund from Sky.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
A refund from Sky! Dont cash that cheque.......Auction it on Ebay............it's rarer than a penny black...........brian

V

VVCB

rolfw said:

I was under the impression that the new dark blue cards would be OK until Sky's next general card change... So is the BBC. But' I received this email from Sky customer services which contradicts that. I had complained, because I asked Sky if I would need to replace my FTV card when they sent my new Sky package card in April. They said NO.. I could continue viewing with my old one. I felt that they had given me duff advice. This was their email reply:

Thank you for your e-mail about a free to air viewing card.

I can confirm that the information given to you in previous e-mails from this department has been correct and I can only reiterate that information.

Please allow me to explain, if you had been issued with a replacement card by the BBC it would have ceased to work at the same time as the old one.

Thank you for your interest in Sky.

Kind regards

Donald Mclean
Viewer Relations