yous must be sick of all these questions

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just new , i have a 1meter dish, connected to open media twin unit (cable/sat)and this moment am a ladder fiend ,my wife sends meals up to me via pigeon but im loving the learning curve
My Location
scotland
hi ive read all the tuts and downloaded all the files and seen all the utube movies on how to set up a motorised dish ,and hey am enjoying it still ,but have never managed to get anything apart from 28.2, i set up at first an"L"shaped bracket and stuck it on my old s*y location,i didnt think i was getting a good reception so i changed it to t&k bracket ,mouted it above the roof and made sure it was plumb on all sides ,set dish and motor to all the settings and started to play around ,lol its been 2 weeks now and all ive manged to get is 28.2 ive moved it this way and that and still no results with any other satalites :-rofl2how do you guys do it :-rofl2anyway any advice would be much apreciated

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi father ted,

it would help a great deal if you could please provide us with a lot more information.
Size/Make of Dish.
Make/Model of Motor.
Make/Model of your receiver.
What method have you used to set up your motor?
It would also make it easier if you updated your profile, to include a little of this information, especially what receiver you have.

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just new , i have a 1meter dish, connected to open media twin unit (cable/sat)and this moment am a ladder fiend ,my wife sends meals up to me via pigeon but im loving the learning curve
My Location
scotland
really soz about that its a Moteck 2100a diseqc motor with a 1 meter dish (mesh)the system i have is called openmedia(it does say this in my profile,maybe yous dont know this system lol) it is a twin tuner system based on 500 dreambox it has one tuner for cable and one for sat(can i say that lol)it has a pli ilolite image on it .i set my motor using multimap co-ordinates which is 56 north 3.7 west ,i have been able to get only as i say 28.2 nothing else,im here to learn so if i can tell yous anymore that will help feel free ,i must be getting addicted to climbing ladders :-rofl2 cause i can see your gonna send me back up them,not tonite please am nite shift :-rofl2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum father ted

Well you thought you had got away with it but you have not, back up those ladders right this minute... Oh OK then it has gone dark... good job you do not live in Iceland:)

The reason you have only got 28.2 East is because you forgot to fit the motor:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2

Oh Ok then, try to imagine an arc in the sky this arc runs from 60 East to 60 West approximately. Ok now as you are based in the UK Your due south satellite is more than likely 1 deg West or 5 Deg West, take your pick but 5 deg West probably is better for you, whichever you choose that is your due south satellite. Therefore the top of the arc of satellites that you can see is either one of the two. There having settled on either one or the other, within your stb that is your zero degrees, now you need to loosen the mast clamps and swing the whole motor assembly round to zero degrees and clamp it. That is the top of the arc where your lnb is vertical and any other position either side is lower as it is further around the arc. From then you should be able to use Disecq or Usals to move forward and find other satellites.

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
scotland
ok came off nite shift and went back up to have a wee look lol anyway yous know am having problems not only with the dish but understanding all this new talk (but am getting there)well at this moment i only have 28.2 but when i went to check where the motor dial was, it said 5 deg east?now surely that aint rite?i sent motor far west then to zero then to far east then to zero again i then reset motor to zero again and then went to menu and goto fuction which was 28.2 and again it went to it and bbc1 came on (by the way its a gr8 picture lol)went up ladder again and it said 5 deg east?these are some pictures of how its on at the moment

Attachments

• DSCF3025 (Small)1.JPG
    DSCF3025 (Small)1.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF3026 (Small)2.JPG
    DSCF3026 (Small)2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF3036 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3036 (Small).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 53

gerryl

Reaction score
strange ye can find 28!...try reset...

Lat set on motor 'ok!'
Motor set to zero
Dish set to zero (approx 40)
Lnb (no skew)
Face the lot 'true south' forget tring to aim at any sats!

go to stb and use yer remote select Thor 1 or 5 west FTA channel...motor will move look at the signal..then back up the ladder and tilt the dish 'few' degrees vertically upward to see any gain, try any other sat and slowly adjust the dish tilt if no further gain tight-up (sat meter would help...save all the dish tilts) hope this helps:toke:

M8...just spotted yer prob!....Lat 56...yer Motor should be set at 34...see table at back of 2100a Manual

gerryl

Reaction score
don't give up....:toke:...Dish Pointer (.com...do a google) will help with Lat...and show ye where all the sats are...!

Attachments

• Angle Table.gif
    Angle Table.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 38

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes I agree, the latitude scale is on the other side of the motor (Moteck motors have both scales), the latitude has been set on the elevation scale by mistake.

It concerns me also that you say you can only get 28.2 East, is that when moving the motor with the receiver? If it is, then you have missed out the most vital step and that is finding your nearest to due South satellite.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
A common mistake done by many...... including myself by rushing:-rofl2...........

Don't forget the read the guides & tutorials and you'll crack it :D

Dogs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Eurovox quantum on a Technomate TM2200 motor and a 1mtr Dish with a MTI 0.6 LNB and have added a Technomate 1500CI+to my collection
My Location
Scotland
Hi m8...its frustrating but worth it in the end.....did mine yesterday ...possibly 5 hours in total...check out the link...hope its of help

My story here

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
scotland
rolfw said:
Yes I agree, the latitude scale is on the other side of the motor (Moteck motors have both scales), the latitude has been set on the elevation scale by mistake.

It concerns me also that you say you can only get 28.2 East, is that when moving the motor with the receiver? If it is, then you have missed out the most vital step and that is finding your nearest to due South satellite.

gerryl said:
strange ye can find 28!...try reset...

Lat set on motor 'ok!'
Motor set to zero
Dish set to zero (approx 40)
Lnb (no skew)
Face the lot 'true south' forget tring to aim at any sats!

go to stb and use yer remote select Thor 1 or 5 west FTA channel...motor will move look at the signal..then back up the ladder and tilt the dish 'few' degrees vertically upward to see any gain, try any other sat and slowly adjust the dish tilt if no further gain tight-up (sat meter would help...save all the dish tilts) hope this helps:toke:

M8...just spotted yer prob!....Lat 56...yer Motor should be set at 34...see table at back of 2100a Manual

yep got that part and now i changed it , i stil only get 28.2 and its still reading 5 deg and i know it should be 28 deg east lol , this is what i done
1 made sure that the dish,motor was all in line
2 i found south on a compass and turned the whole thing ,motor,dish on the pole to south(or near enuff)
3 i looked for thor and asked dish to goto thor and it traveled slightly one way then onto what i assumed was 1.0 west(am i right?)
5 tried to get a good signal on a meter manged to get it to go to about 9 on the scale ,and to about 10 while tilting the dish up and down (isnt that good?)
6 went back in to check signal on box and all i could get was and agc of 99% a ber of 100-500 and a snr of only 60%
7 am now thinking it mite be hardware fault or i mite still not be lined up properly (lol which doesnt surprise me )
8 i have tried numerous images and all the same readings or near enuff..........................................................................................................
ooooh forgot to say i still have 28.2 :-rofl2:-rofl2

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
A picture of the dish/motor on zero might help.

Have you done as the guide suggests?

gerryl

Reaction score
what setting are in yer stb...can you upload new motor channel list!...from another source.

cause if you followed the above ye should be runnin...looks like yer getting 28 by pure error!...keep going its not dark yet:)

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
scotland
satelliteman said:
A picture of the dish/motor on zero might help.

Have you done as the guide suggests?
yep will get on 2 morrow for yous am on nite shift at the moment and im hopingive done everything as the guide suggest also have been getting good info and am folloing it on here too
gerryl said:
what setting are in yer stb...can you upload new motor channel list!...from another source.

cause if you followed the above ye should be runnin...looks like yer getting 28 by pure error!...keep going its not dark yet:)

not sure if i can ? can you give me a clue where i mite get this?,mite not be dark but am on 12 hrs nite shift :-rofl2

gerryl

Reaction score
OpenMedia is Linux receiver comes pre loaded with a custom free-to-air neutrino or enigma image, you should be able to FTP channel motor list such as pet123...also much much more...please be careful where ye source yer images and 'other' files!...and make sure they are tested for OpenMedia as some image are generated for ONLY certain versions of Dreambox !O-zzz

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
scotland
gerryl said:
OpenMedia is Linux receiver comes pre loaded with a custom free-to-air neutrino or enigma image, you should be able to FTP channel motor list such as pet123...also much much more...please be careful where ye source yer images and 'other' files!...and make sure they are tested for OpenMedia as some image are generated for ONLY certain versions of Dreambox !O-zzz

ooh yes i know what you mean now :-rofl2 thot it was something else you were talking about ,yep quite understand i have capt picard settings in there is that ok

gerryl

Reaction score
don't know ye STB...but give pet123 a try at yer own risk!

Attachments

• pet123dreamsettings_21_03_08.zip
    211 KB · Views: 61

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
scotland
rite back again ok no further forward have carried out everything yous have been saying
1 have now placed the whole dish on new t&kbrackets rite up to the gutter ,in fact is so far up it can swing right round without touching the roof.i was thinking that it was getting a weak signal
2 i placed a new pole ,2 inch scaffolding pole on the brackets
3 i managed (dont ask how) to get the dish, motor onto the pole ,by the way its plumb on all sides i even ran a plumb line to the floor and its spot on
4i lined the dish,motor and pole so that they were all in line and the back of dish was paralel to the rest
5i bought a new compass and made sure i found south
6 turned the whole thing around pole ,the dish, motor until it reached a mark i had done and checked with compass to south
7 i left it loose so could jiggle with it
8 took out meter and played with dish till i got a good signal on south reached almost 10 and tightened it up a bit keeping an eye on meter didnt go to far below 10
9 then i started to play with elevation of dish,manged to get it to 9 after a few tweaks here and there and tightend that up
10 went to box and tried one tweak to east ,then another and so on but nothing
11 then i did the opposite way so i turned it 10 times east so i done 20 times west still nothing
12i couldnt get the snr to raise above 60% so now am thinking problem with box
13 but i did get 28.2
14 never picked up any other sat and am thinking its a hardware fault(box its self) wot yous think?have i done all i can??
15 my mrs is serving my meals through the bathroom window casue am up the ladder more than am in the house

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
When you found what you thought was thor, did you then scan it on the receiver to check that it was?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
OK up to point 7, then you should come down and send the motor to your reference sat and then align on that. If using 1W 11325h

You are almost there and think the problem may be your not finding your ref satellite.... the most important part of the installation. No need to nudge the motor East or west once you are on your ref satellite, just scan and see. We will get you there :D