Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The Premier League is to sue video-sharing website YouTube for alleged copyright infringement, according to reports.
English football's top flight claims YouTube has "knowingly misappropriated" its intellectual property by encouraging footage to be viewed on its site.
Legal action was launched by the Premier League and US music publisher Bourne in the US District Court in Manhattan, New York, claiming unspecified damages.
The lawsuit seeks class action status and asks for a disgorgement of profits made by the alleged actions, as well as unspecified damages.
It claims YouTube had consciously encouraged people to view content on its site in order to raise its profile, violating the material's commercial value. Named as defendants were YouTube Inc, YouTube LLC and YouTube's corporate parent, Google.
The lawsuit said a scheme by which website visitors could access, view, and otherwise exploit copyrighted materials without having to pay their owners made the site valuable enough for Google to pay £532 million to buy YouTube last November.
The lawsuit said: "Defendants which own and operate YouTube have knowingly misappropriated and exploited this valuable property for their own gain without payment or licence to the owners of the intellectual property."
Google general counsel Kent Walker defended the site, saying: "These suits simply misunderstand the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which balances the rights of copyright holders against the need to protect internet communications and content.
"They threaten the way people legitimately exchange information, news, entertainment, and political and artistic expression over the internet."
The combined TV, radio and internet rights to show live Premiership games and highlights over the next three years fetched £2.7 billion in a series of auctions, making protecting its right a priority for the Premier League bosses.

Source ITN News 11.14 Sat May 05 2007

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just to remind pepole of the previous Google partnership deals.

In August 2003, Google signed a $900 million offer with News Corp.'s Fox Interactive Media unit to provide search and advertising on MySpace and other News Corp. websites including IGN, AmericanIdol.com, Fox.com, and Rotten Tomatoes, although Fox Sports is not included as a deal already exists between News Corp. and MSN.[52] [53]

On 6 December 2006, British Sky Broadcasting released details of a Sky and Google alliance.[54] This includes a feature where Gmail will link with Sky and host a mail service for Sky, incorporating the email domain "@sky.com".

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I think it sucks. YouTube essentially provides "snippet" TV. No one would watch recorded highlights on the Internet, when they can pay a few bob per month and watch it in crystal clear screen at home on TV. The Internet has a long way to go before it's pumping live and recorded telly into our homes instead of a dish or sat dish. My opinion anyway.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I agree with you if that's all they are, but therer are some pretty significantly sized greatest goals clips on there, which certainly can't be considered as snippets. ;)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
rolfw said:
I agree with you if that's all they are, but therer are some pretty significantly sized greatest goals clips on there, which certainly can't be considered as snippets. ;)

I agree, Rolfw, there are many full length films and footie matches available on Google video and YouTube, but it's rare. Plus, I don't know about others but at night time, the Internet video player pauses, then stops and starts, sometimes making all things impossible to watch.

I think it's due to the increase of the Internet as the day wears on...