Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Has anyone tried the Youview Humax DTR-T1010

http://www.youview.com/features/

Your broadband connection opens up a whole world of great TV, including 7 day catch up from BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player and Demand 5, as well as on demand programmes.
The broadband connection also enables you to search through thousands of shows and keeps your YouView box up to date.

I don't have a TV aerial (that receives a signal worth watching) and it doesn't appear to work with satellite TV so at £250+ it's mighty expensive for Smart player, albeit one with BBC iplayer, 4OD and ITV player.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, without Freeview it's a little limited, better off with a Freesat Freetime box.

Can you not update your aerial to receive a better Freeview signal, perhaps from a different transmitter? Reception has improved a lot since switchover.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Thanks for the info.

Can you not update your aerial to receive a better Freeview signal
Possibly but I'm right behind an old church with a tall tower/ spire, which blocks reception one side and behind me is a hill/ housing that seems to block reception from the other transmitter, or it did the last time I tried - everyone has 8ft poles on their chimney stacks for their aerials.

What type of aerial would I need? Checked on digitaluk.co.uk and it says I should get good reception from a relay transmitter 12 miles away.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Without being there it's impossible to say, but I remember recently getting good reception from a transmitter by pointing the aerial in almost the opposite direction and bouncing the signal off a block of flats. All I'm saying is that what wasn't possible prior to switchover, may be a lot more feasible now.

Whereabouts are you in the Midlands?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Worcester, "best" transmitter is Malvern.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, forgot to look back at the thread. :)

Was wondering if any of our aerial installer members was nearby to do a quick test for you, but don't think they are and a bit far for me to drop around. :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Not a problem :)

I had a quick google and the recommended aerials are amplified group C/D, one was a Yaga18 and I can't remember the other (bookmarked on another computer). Looking at my current aerial there's no mast-head amp.

Everyone down my street seems to have a different aerial. It can wait until the weather is warmer and I'm feeling braver.