Zone 1 mini dishes to small in south wales, Any one else useing a zone 2 dish

R

Rd100

I live in south wales near newport i have installed sky mini dishes since sky digital started but i have always noticed that here where i am in south wales a zone 1 mini dish is a bit to small for this area,

When i really noticed the diffrents is when i went to stay with a family member who lives in london about 2 years back and he ask me to take my satellite meter with me to check his dish so i did i say they have alot stronger signal from astra 28.2 then we do in south wales,

So i always use a zone 2 mini dish for my sky system at home any one else useing a zone 2 mini dish,

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Hi RD100

I am using the Zone 2 dish. I don't trust the zone 1 to produce good results.

I get no break up during rain storms etc. Although I think I need to re align it, as I think I can get a better signal reading (using a lacua meter, when it wants to stay powered for more than 30 secs)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I'm surprised you don’t get a reliable signal in south Wales. You still see the odd zone 1 dish in Scotland, I've seen a couple in Glasgow and some further north. I'm not sure why people use them, one was on a block of flats amongst a few zone 2 ones, so it wasn't even someone just trying to have a discreet setup.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i use a zone 1 minidish in west yorkshire and the signal can be iffy sometimes, thinking of switching it out for a zone 2 but only use it for the fta channels so it doesn't matter atm

also is the zone 2 any better with the quad lnb issue of the lnb arm dropping down on minidishes ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
wod said:
also is the zone 2 any better with the quad lnb issue of the lnb arm dropping down on minidishes ?
Don't have any first hand experience but I could imagine it to be more critical with a Zone 2. The arm is longer, thus giving a greater leverage effect and, with a larger dish, the acceptance angle is narrower.

No doubt one of the "real" installers will give a definitive answer.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The boom on the zone2 is slightly more robust, have to say though that I have been using a 45cm Technisat dish for testing purposes and it performs much better than the zone1 and close to a zone2. :)

R

Rd100

Yes its worse on a zone 2 mini dish as like you said a zone 2 have more leverage is worse if you live where the is no protection from the wind like where i am on the side of a big hill (mountain) over looking the bristol channel,

On the weekend i am changeing my mini dish (which the misses use the most for sky+:-doh! ) over to a 60cm channel master and putting my c120 invacom quad on there,

sky mini dishes zone 1 or 2 where not made to carry the weight of a quad lnb and now the monkey sky installer's are also useing octo lnb's on them lol

PaulR said:
Don't have any first hand experience but I could imagine it to be more critical with a Zone 2. The arm is longer, thus giving a greater leverage effect and, with a larger dish, the acceptance angle is narrower.

No doubt one of the "real" installers will give a definitive answer.