BBC world thor08 with zone 1.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 382
  • thor 08 trace.JPG
    thor 08 trace.JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 333

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I told you minidishes were fun... :D

Nice list of satellites you have there too on a diddy 43cm dish... :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, I must admit I was surprised to see a signal lock on 1w. Wouldn't cope with rain fade, but one could live with those satellites received :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
satelliteman said:
Yes, I must admit I was surprised to see a signal lock on 1w. Wouldn't cope with rain fade, but one could live with those satellites received :)

Yeah, rain fade can be quite a problem with minidishes (which makes me wonder why sky bother with them!!!), but as long as it's for playing with then it doesn't really matter... :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
I suppose if one were happy with just receiving 13e, 19e and 28e and cannot have a larger dish with offset bracket for any reason, then zone1 on a motor could do very nicely :) I actually started testing and then it rained, so signals received were actually taken in light rain too.:D

Also found it very interesting that I received perfect signals on Hispasat on this dish as a fixed zone1 set up with 'skew at zero setting' as obviously it won't go any further than this. Zone 1's, you got to love 'em.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
satelliteman said:
I suppose if one were happy with just receiving 13e, 19e and 28e and cannot have a larger dish with offset bracket for any reason, then zone1 on a motor could do very nicely :) I actually started testing and then it rained, so signals received were actually taken in light rain too.:D

Also found it very interesting that I received perfect signals on Hispasat on this dish as a fixed zone1 set up with 'skew at zero setting' as obviously it won't go any further than this. Zone 1's, you got to love 'em.

Back when I had only a Z1 dish and was using it on Hispasat, I twisted the whole dish on the bracket to get the skew right (back when there was an analogue channel to get the picture just right!!!), so looking at the dish from the front was like looking at a puppy with a tilted head... :D

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
I have a clear line from the ground level for 30w.

signals are so strong from Hispa, skew seemed irrelevant :D

I have seen a fair few Zone 1's installed for Astra1 round these parts

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
satelliteman said:
I have a clear line from the ground level for 30w.

signals are so strong from Hispa, skew seemed irrelevant :D

I have seen a fair few Zone 1's installed for Astra1 round these parts

Well, my dish was behind glass, window nets and curtains on a tripod, so the signal was reduced somewhat... :D

Z1s are ok for Astra1, as good as they are for Astra2 (I.E. you get b*gg*r all in heavy rain!!! :-rofl2 ), but of course, Z2's are better, and a regular round dish would be much better... :D

asdigi07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD
My Location
UK
evening! I get good reception on 19.2e on my Z1 even in quite heavy rain, but then i'm "down sauff" as you say Mr 2CV! :p

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
asdigi07 said:
evening! I get good reception on 19.2e on my Z1 even in quite heavy rain, but then i'm "down sauff" as you say Mr 2CV! :p

It's daan' saaf... :p

riktking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
z1 sky dish, sky box, old PC with analaogue tv card.
My Location
sheffield
hi

1st post and a complete n00b to satellites so please treat me like an idiot!

i have a Z1 on the back of my house, would like to do stuff with other satellites just the missus wont let me (i m not having that "thing" on my house etc!!)

is it a viable option to motorize a Z1? does the LNB have to be skewed?(if so is this done by a disque?)

thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Set the LNB to zero skew, if necessary cut the case a little, otherwise it works fine.

riktking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sheffield
is skew zero the standard on a z1?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
riktking said:
is skew zero the standard on a z1?

It won't allow you to get perfect zero skew until you adapt the plastic casing as described above. My tests were carried out without this being done and as far to zero as possible.

Zone 1 on a motor was only a test and would advise going for a larger dish of at least a 70cm, although I had good results with a Zone 2 :D

I suppose Zone 1 would work for 13, 19 and 28e without hiccups

riktking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sheffield
thats cool, any good suppliers of kit?? i might be able to get away with a 80cm dish perhaps.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
You could check the site sponsors here

machno

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
32 " LG with built in 160 g recorder and digital terestrial Tv with twin tuner - 85cm Penta dish
Humax HD 2000 ci and
Nanoxx hd 9500 receivers - all linked to
my computer and 7 digital speakers with subwoofer
My Location
rotherham
satelliteman said:

I watch 1w regulary with a 85 cm High Gain dish and 0.7 Cambridge Lnb.
Don't believe all you read about Lnb's . 1 have 2 x 0.3 - 2 x 0.5 and 2 x 0.7 Lnbs and did some tests with the same receiver Humax hd 2000
used their signal strength meter. The Cambridge came out 5 points clear at 48 signal strength and 100 % quality on BBC World. today is part cloudy but still has a 46% strength and a 98 % quality .No rain problems only with Feeds but still picking up signals and locking on at only 17% signal strength.

machno

gunn1e

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky-HD
My Location
S.E. United Kingdom
Man you got a lock on 1W, i love minidishes :)

machno

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
32 " LG with built in 160 g recorder and digital terestrial Tv with twin tuner - 85cm Penta dish
Humax HD 2000 ci and
Nanoxx hd 9500 receivers - all linked to
my computer and 7 digital speakers with subwoofer
My Location
rotherham
gunn1e said:
Man you got a lock on 1W, i love minidishes :)

Digital only 85 centimetres dish here - LNB claims are rubbish - i have
0.2 - 0.3 - 0.5 - 0.7 - having tested them all with the same dish and receiver - 0.7 Cambridge is the strongest signal and best quality.
Have not seen many of these around lately - this one is years old but the build quality is so much better than todays.
I would like to see your dish in comparison to yout height - any chance of putting a photo up?
Cheers - machno

gunn1e

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky-HD
My Location
S.E. United Kingdom
Point your dish at 42East then put on a 0.2 then tell me which is the better signal.

machno said:
Digital only 85 centimetres dish here - LNB claims are rubbish - i have
0.2 - 0.3 - 0.5 - 0.7 - having tested them all with the same dish and receiver - 0.7 Cambridge is the strongest signal and best quality.
Have not seen many of these around lately - this one is years old but the build quality is so much better than todays.
I would like to see your dish in comparison to yout height - any chance of putting a photo up?
Cheers - machno