Zone 2 Dish to Recieve Hotbird or Eutelsat?

Cargosat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Manchester
Hi,

I want to install a new dish on the front of my house. I would ideally like an 80cm dish with monoblock or even better a motorised system..but this would cause a row with the mrs i cant be arsed with so...women just don't understand do they? Anyway....

Can i replace my existing sky mini dish with a zone 2 dish, get a technomate receiver or similar to recieve the channels. Would i get a decent reception in the Manchester area for hotbird or eutelsat with a zone 2 dish? I have clear line of sight ect and really good signal strength on my existing sky system.

All i'm after is to get the premier league football for next season...is Hotbird 13 east better for the football (art sports package) or is 16 east better and get the Superport package? Im not after receiving hotbird & eutelsat i just want one or the other which ever is best for football?

It would be a simple install for me as the bracket and cables are already installed from the previous sky system.Just a case of replacing the dish and getting a new receiver & card..

Cheers!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

Hotbird would be OK, but you would probably have problems with 16E.

I know what you mean about women. I have mine down the garden on a pole in the ground behind a tree to stop 'er moaning.:-rofl2

Cargosat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Manchester
Cheers for the info regarding 16e....I have thought about the garden idea but i have a public right of way cutting right accross my garden for wheelie bin access.

Maybe i should just wait until i have a house that can accomodate a decent sized dish that i can install out of the way,so to speak.

Cheers.

Cargosat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Manchester
How come you can get a good signal at 28 deg and 13 deg with a zone 2 and not so at 16deg? Even though 16deg is inbetween the previous two satellites in the arch?

Is it the power at 16 deg transmits at
or doesnt the footprint cover the manchester area very well?

My thinking is that if you can get a good signal at 28 degrees then every thing below that (as you swing the dish round) should be acheivable or is that not the case?

Cheers

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Yes you are right. It's all about the strength of the signal being broadcast, and the focus and footprint of the beam. Eutelsat W2 at 16E is not as strong as Hotbird 13E in the UK.

You may get away with a 60cm zone 2 dish - but most people go for a 90cm dish to cope with rain fade. It would be a little annoying paying a subscription for something you can't receive in inclement weather. (90% of the time in Manchester). :-rofl2

Maybe someone in your area has a zone 2 who can comment.

Yorks :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
also possible cross talk with a zone 2 from adjacent satellites 13,16 & 19e

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Cargosat said:
Cheers for the info regarding 16e....I have thought about the garden idea but i have a public right of way cutting right accross my garden for wheelie bin access.

Maybe i should just wait until i have a house that can accomodate a decent sized dish that i can install out of the way,so to speak.

Cheers.

Thats easy enough to solve - just bury some rigid drainpipe where the cable run crosses the ROW and run the cable through the pipe. :)