zone 2 minidish/twin wf65 cable - how much signal loss ?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i've won a sky+ receiver on ebay and as i only have 1 feed coming from my 28e dish and looking for easiest way to add a second feed

the easiest is to run twin wf65 copper screen cable from the quad on my 28e dish through existing the 10mm hole.

but the thing i wonder is how much signal loss will i get from a 16m run of cable ?

as that satcure place don't recommend any more than 20metres but don't say whether they used a zone 1 or 2 in there test.

as i see alot of installs using this cable so it cant be that bad

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
wod said:
as that satcure place don't recommend any more than 20metres but don't say whether they used a zone 1 or 2 in there test.

as i see alot of installs using this cable so it cant be that bad

It's rubbish what they say, 16Mtr run and you will see no difference at all.

They say upto 20mts but I have successfully ran 40Mtr runs without problems off a zone1, but wouldn't go any more than that.

More importantly, it's how you run and tack up the cable that counts as bends and crimping the cable with wall clips will cause standing waves thus signal loss. Just be careful how you secure the cable and you'll do well :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I agree, should be no problem whatsoever with 16m, I've run much longer and had no problems.:)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
satelliteman said:
It's rubbish what they say, 16Mtr run and you will see no difference at all.

More importantly, it's how you run and tack up the cable that counts as bends and crimping the cable with wall clips will cause standing waves thus signal loss. Just be careful how you secure the cable and you'll do well :)

when you say bends in the cable, the current run has 2 bends in it as it goes around 2 corners as the house is a strange shape, that is a single run of wf100 without any loss of signals

does the twin wf65 have the same stiffness as wf100 ?

just thinking of the neatness outside as already have 2 runs of wf100 for motor dish with 4 core cable and then 2 runs of wf100 for 28e dish will look messy

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
wod said:
does the twin wf65 have the same stiffness as wf100 ?

It's fairly strong but can be crushed easily with cable clips against the brick if hammered in too hard, as with 1mm type cable I suppose.

Just handle it as you would a women and all will be ok :D

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
ended up running 2 wf100 cables with twin clips earlier today but the outputs on the quad lnb are rubbish as there is difference between the 4 outputs when i checked with meter

going to swap the dish to a triax or penta 68cm with the mti quad of my motor dish as that is better quality than these cheap quad lnbs

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Penta DIGIT 68cm pulls a nice 28e signal in Wod, lol.......... :D

satpro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD
My Location
UK
Get one of the fiber smc triax or visiosat dish they last years.

wod said:
ended up running 2 wf100 cables with twin clips earlier today but the outputs on the quad lnb are rubbish as there is difference between the 4 outputs when i checked with meter

going to swap the dish to a triax or penta 68cm with the mti quad of my motor dish as that is better quality than these cheap quad lnbs

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
satelliteman said:
Penta DIGIT 68cm pulls a nice 28e signal in Wod, lol.......... :D

yes quite like to test one of these out here, as these minidishes are just cheap crap as the dish dropped forward with weight of the quad and 4 cables from it and they dont fit 3inch poles had to bodge it to fit.

these mti supreme line quad lnbs are nice quality got one on my channel master dish

satelliteman, they will fit 75mm pole ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
wod said:
satelliteman, they will fit 75mm pole ?

Mast clamp upto 80mm on both 68 & 85 versions :)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
thanks for that would you say the aluminium is best to go for or will steel be fine, what is the coating like on them ?

as the steel one is much cheaper the aluminium version costs as much as a steel penta 85 on auction site.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Go for the steel if 68cm version. I have the 85 steel, slightly heavier and seems to be holding up on my Moteck- we front onto a open field here and get all the elements. The 68cm steel is fairly light compared to it's bigger sister and should be just the ticket. Rolf has installed the Aluminium version :)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
just been looking in the sky services menu and the signal test thing, does this really mean anything as from the dish size I'm using i would have thought the bars would be full, 60cm zone 2 dish, wf100 cabling 16m ish run

a pic below of what it shows this is from an amstrad sly hd box

as i know it matters on a motorised system to be aligned up and get the best signal possible

just wondering in the case of recording programs etc

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 58

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
Your quality looks full Wod mate, thats all you need all signal tests in boxes aren't that accurate think they work em out as a percentage, if you put a different box in on same rig the signal will be completely different.

I ve only ever seen 1 box when both levels were 100 percent lol

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
yes nice signal there although I'm sure you already know, it's only looking at one freq.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
yes its not an issue as i don't get any pic breakup, i was just surprised as measuring the db level on my horizon meter the outputs on the minidish quad lnbs really differ unlike a mti quad i tested which had a constant level across all the 4 outputs but that did cost 30 pound

the one frequency 12.560h setanta is one to make sure get best quality on as had issues with that one before, it was on watchdog about it a while back.