zone 2 minidishes

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
how much more bigger than zone 1 dishes are they as from looking at them , they are so much bigger visually.

is the size difference much that they are worth replacing a zone 1 for as reason for asking is at weekend put a quad on my sky dish and some heavy rain today and the signal went all over the place it was fine before with single lnb and the cables aint tied to the lnb arm to pull it down

also how come i've only seen zone 2 dishes on pubs and not many homes are they more expensive to buy for installers ?

thanks

wod

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
wod said:
how much more bigger than zone 1 dishes are they as from looking at them , they are so much bigger visually.

is the size difference much that they are worth replacing a zone 1 for as reason for asking is at weekend put a quad on my sky dish and some heavy rain today and the signal went all over the place it was fine before with single lnb and the cables aint tied to the lnb arm to pull it down

also how come i've only seen zone 2 dishes on pubs and not many homes are they more expensive to buy for installers ?

thanks

wod

Weeeeeell, Zone 1 are 43cm, and Zone2 are 60, so that's ~20cm difference (look at a ruler or tape measure to see the diference...:p ), and personally, I'd just put the Zone1 in the cupboard as a backup (incase you lose the bigger dish in a windstorm or a chav shimmies up your drainpipe and pulls it off) and get a Z2 for the bigger bad weather margin.

As for why they're on pubs, one in Nelson near where I work (the Lord Nelson, there's a shop mentioned next to it on analoguesat's website with a BSB squarial on the back, I took the pic :D ) has 3 and one Z1, and the three Z2's look like they're pointing at astra 1 and/or Hotbird.

Also, sky are cheapskates so they use what dishes they can get the cheapest which can just about do the job for the area they're used in, if they could, they'd probably supply bin lids if they were cheap enough!!! :-rofl2

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
well there cheap on ebay so going to buy anyway just want to keep it separate as was going to loop through a tm 1500 on a 1metre dish

also are the mounting holes on the zone 2 same as the zone 1 brackets so i dont have to redo them ?

what i would do is swap it completely for a 60cm 40mm collar dish with quad but they aint allowed with a 1metre aswell are they ?

anyone got the exact sizes as i read that they have wierd sizes like the dish is wider than the horiztonal size

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
wod said:
well there cheap on ebay so going to buy anyway just want to keep it separate as was going to loop through a tm 1500 on a 1metre dish

also are the mounting holes on the zone 2 same as the zone 1 brackets so i dont have to redo them ?

what i would do is swap it completely for a 60cm 40mm collar dish with quad but they aint allowed with a 1metre aswell are they ?

anyone got the exact sizes as i read that they have wierd sizes like the dish is wider than the horiztonal size

errrm, okay... :confused

If the Z1 is the old style with the bent tube then yes, if it's the raven-type flat bar thing, then no...

As far as I know, you can have a main dish upto 1M in size and a second dish upto 60cm, so you'd be fine with a 60cm proper 40mm collar dish...

Asdigi says he has a few Z2's so you can pm him to get the ol' tape measure out and measure them, and yes, minidishes are wider than they are taller, whereas normal dishes are taller than they are wider (but you measure the width, not the height)... :D

reload

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D + card reader/ ART Sports/ 3x Zone2 Minidish/ Lidl 80cm/ Channel Master 90cm.
My Location
north east
Raven Zone 2 dish 76cm x 56cm.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
i have another question what size pole can you mount a sky zone 2 dish to ?

will they fit a 2" pole ?

as i'm wanting to put up a motorised dish on t&k brackets and the minidish gets in the way so thought of putting them both on the same pole

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that they take a 1.25" inch pole with standard U bolts, but I managed to cobble mine onto a Moteck some time ago.

If you can afford a little more, get a Raven Gemini 70cm, much nicer dish.

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad Digibox and zone 2 dish.

Technomate 1500ci+, 90cm motorised dish on a very thick pole!
My Location
Leeds
Ive had a 60cm up for a few years and it does give a significantly better signal than the 45 but I still couldnt get everything. Make sure its on a strong pole as mine is prone to badly losing signal in windy weather as the 60cm is great when the weathers nice, but still not much cop when its blowing a gale and wobbling about!

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad Digibox and zone 2 dish.

Technomate 1500ci+, 90cm motorised dish on a very thick pole!
My Location
Leeds
Sorry, meant to say it is a 1.25 pole mine is on, held with U-bolts, hence the 'wobbly in wind' problem.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
rolfw said:
I think that they take a 1.25" inch pole with standard U bolts, but I managed to cobble mine onto a Moteck some time ago.

If you can afford a little more, get a Raven Gemini 70cm, much nicer dish.

so its possible by using 2" u bolts ?

beginning to be a pain in the arse this bloody minidish. can't move it as the cable runs wont be long enough

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I used two 3" thin U bolts crossed over to fasten mine, they came from a masthead amplifier. If you struggle, I may have a couple of spare ones. :)