Advice Needed Zone 2 - Motorised or Multi?

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
Hi All,

I haven't had much to do with satellite systems since my 1m patio mounted motorised dish faceplanted the garden after around 2 years of loyal service, but I recently found my old Dreambox (DM800) in the cupboard and plugged it into the zone 1 we have from Sky to play around a bit, and now I want more...

We're just about to buy a new house which is a lovely stone built cottage type home which would not suit a whopping great 1m dish hanging on the front wall, so I've decided the biggest I want to go in a Zone 2 to keep it nice and subtle, just to pick up 13e, 19.2e and 28.2e really.

I have the old motor from the 1m dish in the shed but would I be better off getting a multi LNB holder and 2 more LNBs? Any opinions? Motorised seems a bit of a waste just for the 3 major satellites but everything I need is in the shed...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you have the kit why not use it? :D

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
A zone 2 Sky dish is hardly the best choice for either a motorised or multi lnb set-up. You will be restricted to Sky lnbs for optimum performance and unless you are good at DIY construction/adaptation you will find it difficult to set it up as multi lnb (there are no commercially available multi lnb holders for Sky dishes. Far easier and better a 60cm standard "circular" dish (or 80cm :):))

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, go for a Triax TD64 with a multi LNB holder or similar, easy to set up. Although with a bit of modification, a Zone 2 minidish on a motor works very well.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
For me, with those three satellites in mind, I'd go multi-sat route but...... chances are you will want more choice later down the line ;)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I've got both a motorised and multisat set up and have only rarely used the motorised dish in the last year. If you did go for multisat, I'd definitely get a better (bigger) dish as Rolfw has suggested.

MarkW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Galaxy,IBU single,Technomate 5402M3
My Location
Jesi,Italy
You could try a larger dish in the garden,spray painted green,with a plant at the back.Our's isn't close enough and the motor and lnb need painting.

Attachments

• Dish.jpg
    Dish.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 17

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
The front garden is the largest and I don't really want the dish in there, not sure if I could get away with one in the back due to the building blocking LOS but worth a try I suppose, I'll wait until we get the keys but I suspect it will be blocked.

I understand that zone 2 certainly isn't ideal for this but I'm going for subtle so that's the best compromise I could think of, especially with the satellites I'm after being particularly strong.

I don't currently have a multi-tuner box but I will be looking to get one so I suppose multi-lnb would suit that idea more?