£10....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
What does it get you usually?

For me, especially today, it got me a fairly decent laptop.... :D

It's an IBM ThinkPad 390X, according to Lenovo (IBM's fancy new name I think) the original spec is as follows:

Celeron 400MHz (128K:cool:, 64MB RAM, 4.8GB, 12.1 SVGA TFT, 24X CD-Rom, 56K(Int) Modem, Win98.

Only things that are different is that there's a 6.4GB hard drive and no ram (I'll take it to work and try their test SODIMM ram in it), and I stuck my spare CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive in it...

Why it was £10, apparantly it's been sat in a cupboard for months and they've not had a clue what's wrong with it, and I assume they nabbed the memory from it, but when I got it home (after stripping it) I tried another PSU and hey presto, it came to life!!! All I need is the memory to test it... :D

I think my luck has changed at last... :D

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
And today I got a BT voyager 2091 wireless ADSL router (54mbps) locked to BT for £1 at a carboot sale :)

I flashed it with a dynalink firmware and hey presto, it also works on NTL.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
cfphoenix said:
And today I got a BT voyager 2091 wireless ADSL router (54mbps) locked to BT for £1 at a carboot sale :)

I flashed it with a dynalink firmware and hey presto, it also works on NTL.

On NTL??? NTL's a different system.... :confused

A guy had a pair of Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modems at the computer fair today, he's had them for months!!!! :D

Oh, I also bought 2x 20GB maxtor hard drives aswell, the thin ones too, I like them... :D

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
2cvbloke said:
I also bought 2x 20GB maxtor hard drives aswell

How much for the drives?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I dropped a few items off at the local dump on Friday, and next to the metal bin was an engine from a Honda VTR1000 - SC36E, covered in metal lathe swarf.

A tenner later it was mine, and an hour later I had cleaned it up, and whilst I still need to get a few bits such as sump, alternator, cover, starter motor, camchain tensioners and oil pipes, I think I can get it to go with a bit of attention. It all turns over, and the bores / valves look fine from viewing down the spark plug/inlets.

(edit - pictures show front engine mount has been removed by the previous owner, which saves me some work in getting it into another frame)

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
2cvbloke said:
On NTL??? NTL's a different system.... :confused

Same as yourself, I was surprised that I could connect to the internet. The BT voyager 2091 router has 2 ports behind, one is an Ethernet port (which I connected to my NTL modem) and the other is an ADSL port (for BT).

I am currently using a Linksys router with my NTL modem (It is a Motorolla surfboard 4200i with a firmware :) giving me download speeds of 10mbps) and am now considering selling it to a friend.

Cheers and good luck with the laptop.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
gameboy said:
How much for the drives?

£15 for the pair... :D

cfphoenix said:
Same as yourself, I was surprised that I could connect to the internet. The BT voyager 2091 router has 2 ports behind, one is an Ethernet port (which I connected to my NTL modem) and the other is an ADSL port (for BT).

I am currently using a Linksys router with my NTL modem (It is a Motorolla surfboard 4200i with a firmware :) giving me download speeds of 10mbps) and am now considering selling it to a friend.

Cheers and good luck with the laptop.

Ah, I see, you're using it as a router, not a modem-router... ;)

I was just confused as I thought you'd managed to connect up the router directly into the cable line... :D

It's currently installing 98SE with borrowed memory from work... :D

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Hehe, two separate hdd's and a laptop - and still only half-half to a meaningful iPod.:-rofl2

Is this new laptop to control your emergency lighting system? Joke.

I bought a 350Gb ext hdd a couple of weeks back for only €112.00 (75 quid).

Still, if you think all this works out cheaper.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BarMoo said:
Hehe, two separate hdd's and a laptop - and still only half-half to a meaningful iPod.:-rofl2

Is this new laptop to control your emergency lighting system? Joke.

I bought a 350Gb ext hdd a couple of weeks back for only €112.00 (75 quid).

Still, if you think all this works out cheaper.

Why would I want an iPoo??? I want a Creative MP3 player... :D :p

No, just the £10 offer I couldn't refuse... :p

The thing about stuff in the UK is it always costs more compared to elsewhere in the world...:(

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
2cvbloke said:
No, just the £10 offer I couldn't refuse... :p

Maybe the next time you have a 'only a tenner' thought - hold off!

Hold off seven times - and then treat yourself to something meaningful/short-term future proof (i.e., in one unit) that can be hooked-up to your computer (via USB2/IDE) without the need for a flux-capacitor.;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BarMoo said:
Maybe the next time you have a 'only a tenner' thought - hold off!

Hold off seven times - and then treat yourself to something meaningful/short-term future proof (i.e., in one unit) that can be hooked-up to your computer (via USB2/IDE) without the need for a flux-capacitor.;)

Errrm, I have no idea what you just said..... :confused

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
So the next time you see a '£10 offer I couldn't refuse' - take out the tenner, sniff it and then put it back.

Over a period of time, probably a week in your case ;) (rude for me to judge I know) - you will have 7 previously sniffed and re-pocketed tenners.

With that money - buy something more up to date and meaningful like a 350gb hdd for example :D

Futurish proof. Simple!

BTW, I don't mean for my post to sound patronising - even if it does come over like that.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BarMoo said:
So the next time you see a '£10 offer I couldn't refuse' - take out the tenner, sniff it and then put it back.

Over a period of time, probably a week in your case ;) (rude for me to judge I know) - you will have 7 previously sniffed and re-pocketed tenners.

With that money - buy something more up to date and meaningful like a 350gb hdd for example :D

Futurish proof. Simple!

BTW, I don't mean for my post to sound patronising - even if it does come over like that.

You never know what a tenner has been previously "used" for so sniffing it could have some odd side effects.... :-rofl2

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I think you know what I was getting at, smart-ass :D

Whatever, at this rate - you'll have spent 750 quid to trundle up to 120Gb (I just made that up, but, frankly, it might as be true).

As I said before, if you think this all this works out cheaper - all the best :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The thing about me is, I know when something's cheap, I could get huuuuuge hard drives for a lot less than they actually cost from where I work, I just wanted those 2 20gb drives cos they're the slim Maxtor ones, and I hopefully can use the mainboard from one to salvage the data from my other 20gb maxtor drive which failed...:p

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
BarMoo said:

I wouldnt go sniffing notes too long, could get a nasty nasal infection, not to mention not knowing where the note's been O-Ha.

As for saving money otherwise spent short-term in the efforts of long-term gain, this is indeed very prudent, although having any money to begin with would be helpful!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Don't you start Salty!

At 2CV - listen I know when summats cheap too - its called Aldi. I was there today!

I didn't mean mature content sniff - I meant ... [click: realisation of piss taking]

Whatever. 2CV wants to take out the board from one to salvage the data from another, WTF. Why buy 2? Rhetorical Q.

Hope its not Bronk's wedding rendition of 'Mustang Sally' you're after. That is still both available here and on YouTube.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BarMoo said:
Whatever. 2CV wants to take out the board from one to salvage the data from another, WTF. Why buy 2? Rhetorical Q.

Er, 2 because once I get the data saved onto one of the 20gb's, the other (once the board is returned) will go into my PC and serve as extra Pagefile and storage space for me 3D stuff. The 20GB with the data will serve as temporary host for the data until I can get it onto the right PC's then will go into a mini-ITX system I'm trying to build...

So there!!! :p :D

Oh, the drive where the data is coming off is going in the bin when I'm done...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
Oh, the drive where the data is coming off is going in the bin when I'm done...

Put it in a skip, it might be useful for somebody.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Put it in a skip, it might be useful for somebody.

What? After seeing what happens to people's sensitive data in Nigeria??? No way!!! It's getting smashed up in order to protect my data!!! :D