AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Totally agree Huevos ..
If the old girl has enough station keeping fuel left for a final valiant effort there's technically no reason why she shouldn't be pressed back into service ...at least in the short term.
No doubt all will become clear in time ..
Clear as mud atm ..
rgds
VS

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Huevos said:
I don't get this! Being inclined doesn't mean the satellite is broken, it just means it is not unnecessarily wasting fuel doing north/south station keeping when doing so is not needed under its current mission parameters. Doing a burn would get it back to 0º inclination if the operator wanted to. What am I missing?

I was just looking at 1D's mission at 19.2ºE. The transponders were exactly the same as 2D's current mission at 28ºE. Or maybe EB1 is going back to Eutalsat.

As I see it 1D is inclined as shes low on station keeping fuel, and probably doesnt have enough to get her back to geostationary on the arc. Wobbling 3 degrees up and down will put her transmissions off beam for much of the day for domestic dishes.

If she stays at 28E the only possible use for the dilapidated old bird is for running feeds.

EB1 has never left Eutelsat's control - 28E is shared between SES & Eutel.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Id say 1d is bingo fuel and won't be back on the arc again. More likely she will be used to hold a slot or for feeds. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
EB1 has never left Eutelsat's control - 28E is shared between SES & Eutel.
I know Eutelsat control EB1, which is why it is 0.3º to the west of Astra 2 (ITU rules). What is the deal though between SES Astra and Eutelsat? Do Eutelsat lease the satellite to Astra and Astra sell the space?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Huevos said:
I know Eutelsat control EB1, which is why it is 0.3º to the west of Astra 2 (ITU rules). What is the deal though between SES Astra and Eutelsat? Do Eutelsat lease the satellite to Astra and Astra sell the space?

No - the 28E frequency blocks were divvied up between SES & Eutel 20 or so years ago - there was a big dispute about who had the rights to 28E which ended up in the courts. The split operation was the result.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Commander S said:
Astra 2C seems moving west. Any info about its next orbital location?

-http://www.n2yo.com/?s=26853

SES have replied - 2C is going to 19E :D

Presumably the elderly 1H will be redeployed elsewhere.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
there was a big dispute about who had the rights to 28E which ended up in the courts
Do you know any site where I could read up on that?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
In a nutshell, Eutelsat were awarded the 28E position by the EBU (or was it ITU) but didn't have a bird up there. This was at the time when $ly were wanting to move to digital and there wasn't enough capacity at 19E so SES decided that if they got a bird into 28E the spot would be theirs by squatters' rights.

Eutelsat then said that they had every intention of putting a satellite ino 28E and, as AS says, this ended up in court. The end result as that SES were allowed to use 28.2E and Eutelsat were allowed to use 28.5E. Close enough to be in the same position as far as satellite dishes up to about 1m in size are concerned but far enough away so that they don't crash into each other!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
There is a passing reference to the disputes here near the end

-http://www.spacenews.com/satellite_telecom/110513-eutelsat-leases-sat-protect-slot.html

I can remember reading about the disputes in the late 1980's or early 1990's in the evening editions of the Wolverhampton Express & Star :D

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Personally, I'd like to see 1L bursting in flames and 1M widebeam taking it's TP's :D
Loosing of 1H will be catastrophe for French expats here - with 2.4 meter dish they can watch most of 1H here. Have no idea about what will be replacement's coverage zone.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
2C is an ultra widebeam.

When you get your hands on 1N its the same as 1M

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Anyways, no one going to switch to it nice German channels from 1L :(

saadi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.80 m Prime Focus Dish
MOTOR: GeoTrackTD-24, 24'' . .:7°W - 62°O:..

Astra 1H/1KR/1L/1M + Astra3b+28E 2A/2B
Xoro HRS 8500
My Location
Amman, Jordan
Analoguesat said:
2C is an ultra widebeam.

Lets say it has a lot of overspill, almost the same like 1H.

Also the german Wikipedia Site for 2C says that it is receivable in the Middle East.

Is 2C the last Satellite built for Astra based on the old Boeing (overspill) technology? :)

Analoguesat said:
Presumably the elderly 1H will be redeployed elsewhere.

Hm. A User "Transponder" from the german digitalfernsehen.de forums claims that it is because SES have to reduce the number of active transponders by now on 1KR, so they need more TP's which is why 2C is coming along.

sattom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28.2, 28.5, 19.2, 23.5 E
My Location
Belgium
Commander S said:
Astra 2C seems moving west. Any info about its next orbital location?

_http://www.n2yo.com/?s=26853

As someone has written here SES Astra already has confirmed it is going to 19.2E

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
saadi said:
Is 2C the last Satellite built for Astra based on the old Boeing (overspill) technology? :)

Just about - newer satellites have much more accurately shaped beams / tighter spotbeams / steeper dropoff at the edges of the coverage areas.

Also multiple spots - we know Astra 2E has a Middle Eastern spot on it - and no you wont be getting uk channels on it :D

sattom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28.2, 28.5, 19.2, 23.5 E
My Location
Belgium
sattom said:
As someone has written here SES Astra already has confirmed it is going to 19.2E

arrrgh sorry fooled myself by switching the order of posts (from old first to newest first) and not realizing it has been done ... ignore the last post pls.

sattom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28.2, 28.5, 19.2, 23.5 E
My Location
Belgium
Analoguesat said:
Just about - newer satellites have much more accurately shaped beams / tighter spotbeams / steeper dropoff at the edges of the coverage areas.

Also multiple spots - we know Astra 2E has a Middle Eastern spot on it - and no you wont be getting uk channels on it :D

And provided they will replace 1H - will 1H then travel to 28E or will 1D stay there? Any ideas? Maybe SES has decided to position 1N at 19.2 after all?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
1N is going to start service at 28E. Thats been confirmed by SES. Once 2F is orbited - (thats the first of the new series 2 birds despite the naming being out of sequence), 1N will be sent to 19E.

1H is getting towards the end of her life so will be redeployed somewhere else - possibly 31.5E..

BTW its only a guess that 2C will replace 1H, but its a logical assumption based on the age of the craft.