Astra 2D Sucks!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
People in fringe areas should get together and buy a 9.3m Andrew dish with dual-axis controller and all that comes with it, say there are like 100 households sharing the price of it.

Makes more sense doing that, with a 9.3m even Cyprus would get perfect signal 24/7 even in rain.

It cost between $80,000 and $100,000

If 100 households share, it would cost them approx $1,000 each! that is pretty cheap i might say.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
Likvid said:
People in fringe areas should get together and buy a 9.3m Andrew dish with dual-axis controller and all that comes with it, say there are like 100 households sharing the price of it.

Makes more sense doing that, with a 9.3m even Cyprus would get perfect signal 24/7 even in rain.

It cost between $80,000 and $100,000

If 100 households share, it would cost them approx $1,000 each! that is pretty cheap i might say.
Thats assuming that these 100 people are all neighbours, not to mention planning permission...

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Likvid

Another question to "Old Satellite"

Your friend, have you talked to him if Astra and Intelsat and so on know where and how strong these sidelobes are on their satellites?

I realize that it is unofficial information they wouldn't want to give out to people.

Generally each and very satellite provider as a fully working "model" it is no longer so difficult has 10 years ago. - It is then once the satellite has been launched and commisioned that they will complete a ground reception reports both inside and outside of the designed footprint. very very simple to know how and where you can or not receive a satellite transponder.

Consequently then the only areas which are a liitle more difficult to know how do you prepare or plan or are you even interested for those one of customers in latin america whom will purchase a 13 mtr dish for the reception of ASTRA at that location.

Look from the right side of things, in the U.S these footprints are very common from the DBS satellites where regional channels should only cover Dallas, Texas for an example.

Currently the vast majority of all US footprints cover the whole of the USA coded - Conus footprint thankfully for all those living in the USA, however as correctly stated the world is fast changing as the link below confirms- do not forget though the size of the USA and states when you relate the size of footprint.

http://www.lyngsat.com/110west.html

Take a look at the footprints of the following - would you believe you can recieve them easily in Europe?

http://www.thaicom.net/eng-thaicomsatellite/footprint-thaicom1A-2.html

http://www.intersputnik.com/sputnik_maps.php?sp=lmi-1&img=lmics.jpg

Answer yes if you are prepared to invest in several thousand pounds. and have nice people next door and nice planning people.

The BBC does what it can and offers a reasonable good service for what we pay. Astra only meets the service that they are requested to meet by the channel providers. If you have a problem in reception of BBC channels on 2D outside of the UK? is that the fault of the BBC or ASTRA or neither

Regards

Old Satellite

skyoutUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8m, Lenson Heat 80cm triple feed 13° 19° & 28°, Triax TD110 with Jeager SuperJack, sky+ Pace v2, Panasonic TU-DSB20, Humax 5400, no name FTA and heap of old analogue receivers
My Location
right next to the big dish
Old Satellite said:
slight change of subject however-

Interesting would like to know where this information comes from? - one of my collegues works on the actual design of travelling wave tube amplifiers.

It was reported around the launch time for Astra 1K and as way back as August 1998 in piece written by Malcolm Brown in What Satellite magazine where he describes experimental tight beam 1K transponders and 're use' of same frequencies over different parts of Europe. There was even some mention of spot beam transponders and re use of frequencies on official SES web site.

Old Satellite said:
There is always a possibility to recieve- just depends how willing and how much money you have. there is one very famous case in latin america of one customer whom purchased a 13 mtr satellite dish to recieve ASTRA he obviously thought Astra was great ...

I don't see how you would be able to receive transponder on the same frequency if you are in the 'wrong' area.

Guy in Brazil who receives Astra made the dish himself and later used 18m wide concrete mold as swimming pool! As far as I know he was only able to receive analogue transponders and after extensive experiments he was unsuccessful to get any digital tp's

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
It was reported around the launch time for Astra 1K and as way back as August 1998 in piece written by Malcolm Brown in What Satellite magazine where he describes experimental tight beam 1K transponders and 're use' of same frequencies over different parts of Europe. There was even some mention of spot beam transponders and re use of frequencies on official SES web site.

Thanks for the feedback? information - always learning indeed there are spot beams availible on a vast majority of Satellites, . I agree times are changing and many of the recently launched and to be launched will indeed have greater functionality.

Brazil - nice swiming pool I thought that it was only the concrete forms and ,not the aliminum dish segments that were used for the swiming pool. Indeed In Nigeria the results were also similar on an 8.0 mtr.

9 Transponders on Astra 1 D/ 2A were possible in Dubai from a 2.4 mtr.

Only was attempting to identify how different the individual will or may expect from a Satellite signal.

regards

Old Satellite