Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
100 cm dish
Motor Engel AC7215
Fonestar 580 HD Fonestar 581 WHD
My Location
Cantabria, Spain
Analoguesat said:
That puts you just east of Santander by my reconing :) Pin moved :)
Right, ty for your effort, good lands here :-thumb1

Pedro0102

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorized system mainly aiming @ 28.2/28.5E
Famaval 3.1m
Invacom quad
My Location
Lisbon, Portugal
Thanks...It is stronger than the signal here in the Algarve now which has becomeweaker still in the past 2 hours.

I think we still don't have an accurate view about the situation around the Lisbon area. We lack of data with large dishes.
Opposed to the Canary islands, over here there aren't enough > 2m systems. The few existing may not be fined tuned for the 28.2E reception because so far this was not needed. The 2D could be easily received and with such antenna sizes the 2A/2B would also come without any trouble.
In my case the lnb skew is fined tuned for 2A north beam reception. I remember that it was quite difficult to get the optimal position.
But because the antenna it is in the roof of the building I cannot go there and try to optimise it now...
I guess that we will need some time for people to try and fine tune their systems. Likely these will be the expats after loosing BBC when it will move later on (to the 2E?)

geeuutee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8mtr Channel Master .3 invacom octo black line lnb. Humax Foxsat HDR receiver
My Location
Spain
South West Spain 37.30N 1.53W inland from Aguillas

1.8 Channel Master dish
Inverto Black Ultra Octo LNB
Humax Foxsat HDR Receiver

11023 S 85% Q 70%
10964 S 85% Q 70%
10994 S 80% Q 70%
11053 S 80% Q 70%
11126 S 85% Q 60%

PFD ALGARVE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m Prime focus, C130 Mirage LNB, Hauppauge WinTV Nova S2, Windows 7 Media Center
My Location
Serra de Silves
I'll be interested to hear if anyone manages to get anything special with a 2m dish with finely tuned dish/skew alignment here as I have a horrible feeling we will be losing all the BBC's in May when 2E arrives if 2F is anything to go by.

Mr Hoover

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various Receivers and Dishes
My Location
Portugal
PFD ALGARVE said:
I have a horrible feeling we will be losing all the BBC's in May when 2E arrives if 2F is anything to go by.
That is probably a correct assumption.

Mr Hoover

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Pedro0102 said:
I think we still don't have an accurate view about the situation around the Lisbon area. We lack of data with large dishes. Opposed to the Canary islands, over here there aren't enough > 2m systems. The few existing may not be fined tuned for the 28.2E reception because so far this was not needed. The 2D could be easily received and with such antenna sizes the 2A/2B would also come without any trouble. In my case the lnb skew is fined tuned for 2A north beam reception. I remember that it was quite difficult to get the optimal position. But because the antenna it is in the roof of the building I cannot go there and try to optimise it now... I guess that we will need some time for people to try and fine tune their systems. Likely these will be the expats after loosing BBC when it will move later on (to the 2E?)
The skew on all the Astra 2 satellites should be the same so if you're set for the North Beam
you should be OK.

With Astra 1N this year it's been very easy to set the skew with a spectrum analyser.Go to the Channel 4 Astra 1N transponder,select the opposite polarisation and null it out...All Astra 2 skew should then be set.

The problem is that with older/some LNB's the skew isn't exactly the same position for H and V(you optimise it on one polarity and it's not quite right on the other)though it doesn't really happen with modern LNB's.
It's only a fractional difference,but in a fringe area you need everything to be right.

On prime focus dishes,if the feedhorn is a bit dirty/corroded the same thing can happen,getting the last little bit out of the skew is almost impossible...Answer is to clean it up or change the feedhorn for a new one and try and set the skew again

Looking at your signal image "Maybe" a good 3 to 3.7 metre dish very well adjusted "Might" give pictures in the Lisbon area.

olive25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD Humax Spiderbox
My Location
Spain
On my 1.3 gibertini with an inverto octo the ch5 group are up & down throughout the day.

On my 1.65 CH4 HD is un watchable & the itv group are down to 60% quality just above the thresh hold. No chance at all of the BBC HD tests.

I am looking at the 1.8m at some point just need to find an octo for a prime focus if not then it shall be the quattro route.

Almeria in Land Southern Spain

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
Somewhere near Jijona inland from Alicante?

Thats going to need 3 pins for all those sizes!
Nearest big town is San Vicente de Raspeig. :-hide

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
<blockquote data-author="geeuutee" data-cid="826213" data-time="1354666660">
South West Spain 37.30N 1.53W inland from Aguillas
</blockquote>
Don't know what happened there. Anyway that is south-east Spain, not south-west.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
This is not true in band D. And you can't set it with a spectrum you need digital lock. If you use the analogue spectrum display and just null out the opposite polarisation you will not be at the optimum setting due to the heavy interference from Badr5 and 30E.
Mr Hoover said:
The skew on all the Astra 2 satellites should be the same so if you're set for the North Beam
you should be OK.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Thanks for this useful report. No need for a quattro, just a quad compatible switch. I picked up my 1.8m for 100€ and there are plenty more about.

olive25 said:
I am looking at the 1.8m at some point just need to find an octo for a prime focus if not then it shall be the quattro route.

Mr Hoover

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Huevos said:
This is not true in band D. And you can't set it with a spectrum you need digital lock. If you use the analogue spectrum display and just null out the opposite polarisation you will not be at the optimum setting due to the heavy interference from Badr5 and 30E.
I was just talking about the skew,it's going to be the same on Astra with or without Badr Arabsat etc poking in on the side.

From my experience in lowband or band D as you call it when 2D was around one had to tweak out
the sidelobes from Badr on small dishes which are very visible on a spectrum analyser,numerous instances of certain transponders being "poor" were due to that.

Minimise sidelobe intrusion,set the skew,peak the dish for max signal and away you go.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
No mate, you are wrong. I set up hundreds of these dishes each year and I can assure you to get maximum SNR the skew in band D is not the same due to interference from Badr5. If you switch the meter to vertical and skew the LNB until the horizontal transponders disappear into the noise, that is not the point of best SNR. On the small dishes on a transponders like 10729V that get heavy interference from Badr5 and 30E, SNR will be off by more than 1.5dB if you skew the LNB according to the spectrum.
Mr Hoover said:
I was just talking about the skew,it's going to be the same on Astra with or without Badr Arabsat etc poking in on the side.

Mr Hoover

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Huevos said:
No mate, you are wrong. I set up hundreds of these dishes each year and I can assure you to get maximum SNR the skew in band D is not the same due to interference from Badr5. If you switch the meter to vertical and skew the LNB until the horizontal transponders disappear into the noise, that is not the point of best SNR. On the small dishes on a transponders like 10729V that get heavy interference from Badr5 and 30E, SNR will be off by more than 1.5dB if you skew the LNB according to the spectrum.
Well I've been involved in the satellite business for well over 30 years sunshine so I've seen a dish or two..You do it your way and I'll do it mine which I know works...OK with you?

terryashbyash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox F3 for fta/28.2E
inverto black ultra lnb
1m offset
My Location
Gandia, Spain
After the 2F changeover have lost all channel 5s(10964) for most of the day, 4/7 (11127) and itvs (11052) both watchable.
SQs are 45% for C5 and
60-65% for the others.
Signal levels not posted as my rubbish digital 1200CI reported signal levels are a work of fiction as signal levels of 69 may not lock but levels of 60 may. I cannot touch the dish until after new year through fear of divorce as all other channels have qualitys of 85-95% and are watchable 24/7.
I will have a tinker then unless more moves take place before christmas, any recommendations for a cheap (sub €100) sensitive hd receiver would be appreciated.

daztfs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite and phones
My Location
spain
trevortronix said:
I agree re. the tuner, but I'm pretty happy with the dish alignment. Receiving Astra 2A North signals with 50+% SQ; 133 cm dishes just pick them up and no more.
HI,

Would you please send me a PM with contact details for yourself.

thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
olive25 said:
On my 1.3 gibertini with an inverto octo the ch5 group are up & down throughout the day.

On my 1.65 CH4 HD is un watchable & the itv group are down to 60% quality just above the thresh hold. No chance at all of the BBC HD tests.

The ones you have signal for - would you class the channels as watchable or not, or are they breaking up all the time?

(Map updated to here)

trevortronix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace 3100 JTAG (FTV)
Technomate TM7102HD-T2 Super
MTI 0.3dB quattro on 1.4m Prime Focus
Inverto Ultra on 1.1m DiSeqC motor
My Location
Tavira, Algarve, Portugal
daztfs said:
HI,

Would you please send me a PM with contact details for yourself.

thanks
Can't see how to- just Google my username ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
PM should now be enabled for trevortronix :)

roberto mafara

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2600C1 DM800HD Vu+Duo
Laminas ofc 1200 triax 1100
Black ultra lnb
My Location
BenissaCosta Costablanca
Here in Pedreguer my signals

11023 68% strength

11126 78% strength

11052 75% strength

10964 68% strength

OFC 1,2 mt dish Inverto ultra black gone slightly down from before change over but still watchable 24/7