compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has noticed if there's been an increase in signal strength on some TPs from Badr4?

I've tried scanning 26E to see if I could pick up any of the MBC channels quite on a few times before and, I've never had any luck. I 'd given up, thinking it wasn't possible with my setup at this location (55N / 8W). I couldn't lock on to 11919H at all.

After a recent sweep scan of all sats, I've just noticed I'm now picking up most if not all MBC channels.:). Nice to see they are sending a few days worth of EPG data too :D

The TPs were scanned in at around 3-4pm a few days ago, and the quility is still perfectly watchable now (at 2am).

Question 2: Apart from a boost in the signal/footprint from the satellite being ramped up, what other environmental factors might be effecting the signal strength? The weather is no better than when I did some of the earlier scans.

I've attached a document showing what I am receiving from 26E for anyone interested. (Just remove the .txt extension to get it to open in Excel)

C :)

Attachments

• mbc.jpg
    mbc.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 76
  • 26E.xls.txt
    30.7 KB · Views: 84

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Theres some environmental factor in play at the moment as many folk in the UK are reporting better than expected signal strengths from 7W as well.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I believe that the 7W signal incease is due not to an environmental factor, but the Nilesat operators adjusting the orientation of the satellite a little to catch the sun the a bit more on the solar panels. May be complete cobblers though.

Not noticed an increase on the Badr's myself.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Seen a slight signal increase for while now shown as improved MER & BER in particular on 11.919h

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Robbo said:
adjusting the orientation of the satellite a little to catch the sun the a bit more on the solar panels.
That happens all day long on a satellite with flat panel solar arrays. If it didn't the back of the solar array would face the sun for 12 hours every day.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
that didn't last long, the BER has shot up and the mbc channels are not watchable anymore.

Its gotten me thinking that I might want to upgrade to a larger dish in the future. I wonder will Fracarro be making a 1m Penta any time soon :)

betas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m orbit dish stab v motor technomate 1500 ci diablo t rex cas 3
My Location
yorkshire
still ok here in the last of the summer wine county,2fast 2 furious on MBC2

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
compufunk said:
that didn't last long, the BER has shot up and the mbc channels are not watchable anymore.

Its gotten me thinking that I might want to upgrade to a larger dish in the future. I wonder will Fracarro be making a 1m Penta any time soon :)

Ooh if they are, I would be first to buy :D

GlennMillarTV

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None, well Sky Digi...
My Location
Portadown, Northern Ireland
Did an install for 26e yeaterday. 1.1m Triax dish, MTI 0.2 LNB and Manhattan Plaza Receiver.

Received all the MBC channels. Hadn't seen that channel since the analogue days on Hotbird...

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
That's a nice result Glenn :)

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
A bit offset question but...

Here 1.5m primefocus or offset dish is roughly $65. 1.8m is $200 and 2.4m is $350. While spending so high cash on hi-end tv and receivers, why you (users), always stuck with tiny 0.6 or 0.9m dish, counting 1m dish as great achievement?

Why not get at least 1.8m dish and completely forget these reception problems?

I'm really curious...

GlennMillarTV

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None, well Sky Digi...
My Location
Portadown, Northern Ireland
Cause we have very few flat roofs to put them on...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
BombedOne said:

I'm really curious...

Because it happens to be illegal to do so in the UK, so why do all that work only to have someone come and force you to take it down, I'm sure we have explained this to you before

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
BombedOne said:
A bit offset question but...

Here 1.5m primefocus or offset dish is roughly $65. 1.8m is $200 and 2.4m is $350. While spending so high cash on hi-end tv and receivers, why you (users), always stuck with tiny 0.6 or 0.9m dish, counting 1m dish as great achievement?

I'm really curious...

surprised you've not read it on the forum but uk is limited to 1metre anything above requires permisson from the council.

only if you have no neighbours or in the middle of know where, unlikely in england that you could have a massive dish

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
wod said:
only if you have no neighbours or in the middle of know where, unlikely in england that you could have a massive dish
Too many regulations and nosey parkers in that country.

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
Out of interest, has anyone here ever formally applied for planning permission for a 1.8 meter dish or somesuch?

If you live in a big dettatched house (as opposed to my mid-terrace) I could almost see a lax council just ticking the 'approved' box.. (providing neighbors ignored the warning noticed sent out to them)

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Well, regarding limitation, I've briefly read it before, but haven't noticed any limit against dish in own yard. And as I've read somewhere, almost any english household has own backyard.

Ok, say size is limited to 1m, then why not use more efficient antenna of such size, like cassergrain or gregory?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
BombedOne said:
say size is limited to 1m, then why not use more efficient antenna of such size, like cassergrain or gregory?
People do... but... for example a Fibo 90cm is 105cm tall so even that is not allowed without planning. Another problem with the UK is gardens are usually like a postage stamp so if the dish is at ground level (where nosey neighbours can't see it) then it can't see over the numerous obstacles (houses, etc) and so can only cover a small part of the arc.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Prodelin or Patriot (don't remember exactly, but have photo somewhere), have 2 reflector dish, 85x90cm :)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
The MBC beam is coming in strong here again this past few days.

There's a bit of breakup sometimes, but not enough to disrupt viewing.

SNR: 75% AGC: 91% BER: 3397

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 41