Just Sharing This BBC iPlayer requires tv licence from September

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240cm Raven Offset, Invacomm Quad LNB;
120 cm Kathrein PF Polarmount, Kathrein Quattro LNB
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
49.77N;11.41E Pottenstein, Germany

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Same way they enforce it currently.

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240cm Raven Offset, Invacomm Quad LNB;
120 cm Kathrein PF Polarmount, Kathrein Quattro LNB
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
49.77N;11.41E Pottenstein, Germany
A

Archive7

I would gladly pay a British TV license if this was possible for anyone living outside the UK and can legally have access to all the channels using the internet.
Our TV is plain rubbish. To think that I paid a TV license all my life but didn't watch any of the channels makes me feel really bad. Luckily they abolished the need for a TV license since last year.
I can't see how they will enforce the law to pay the TV license. The article mentions they sent mail to households that don't have a TV license. What can they do? take their TV set or electrical appliances for example, like they did here for years by thugs hired by well paid heartless lawyers?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I wonder how they will enforce the new rule?

Simple - send increasingly harrassing letters to all addresses that have dropped off the licensing database in the last 5 years, then everyone else.

It really is about time a few pennies were added to the utility bills - then no-one evades.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nor me, but there have been rumblings over most of my lifetime about paying through general taxation.

It's never come to anything.

As you will know, the funds raised go towards funding the BBC even though the Licence is required whatever you choose to watch and even if you never watch the BBC.

A

Archive7

Nor me, but there have been rumblings over most of my lifetime about paying through general taxation.

It's never come to anything.

As you will know, the funds raised go towards funding the BBC even though the Licence is required whatever you choose to watch and even if you never watch the BBC.
Thanks. I see what you mean.
We used to need a separate license for a car radio. Guess what, when car owners had to do the yearly car test, 99% took out the radio from it's place and covered the hole with the original plastic cover so that the tester would tick there is no radio.
They came to their senses finally and stopped this nonsense.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Which is? I do not use iPlayer in the moment.

According to today's Torygraph (So it must be true .....) special Legal dispensation has been given to enable a new generation of Wi-Fi Detector Vans that use techniques hitherto used by crime-fighting agencies.

Summat to do with "Packet Sniffing" (Cue @Milamber ......)

Of course, there are no Privacy Issues :rolleyes:

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I don't suppose the UK government will be bothered about those 'abroad' who use software to defeat iPlayer.

As far as licence fee collection goes, here it's included in our local housing taxes and you have to opt out of it if you don't have a TV. AFIK, France has no physical way (i.e. detector vans) of checking on who is receiving TV broadcasts. (Though if they had, the van would mysteriously catch fire while it's crew were enjoying a lengthy lunch.) I also seem to remember that Australia put a tax on new TV purchases to pay for their licence.

A

Archive4

According to today's Torygraph (So it must be true .....) special Legal dispensation has been given to enable a new generation of Wi-Fi Detector Vans that use techniques hitherto used by crime-fighting agencies.

Packet sniffing? I leave that to Cointreau! He even likes to sniff his own bits!
The old radio detection units don´t work any more, as new tv´s do not radiate in the way old ones used to, to allow the sniffers to see if you had a set or not.

Note to gods @anyone is not working, again, need an engineer to fix it?

A

Archive7

There is an easy way to catch those who don't pay for the license.
It is called sound sniffing. They send people equipped with good hearing who listens behind the front door. If anyone has the TV loud enough, they can make a recording, analyze it with what is being broadcast at any moment and use it as "evidence", then knock on the door and say "Got You".
There is also the neighbor sniffing alternative, They get 25% reduced license if they report their neighbors to the authorities.

A

Archive4

And if anyone is caught watching " Neighbours " 20 lashes and 2 years inside!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
... a new generation of Wi-Fi Detector Vans that use techniques hitherto used by crime-fighting agencies.

Summat to do with "Packet Sniffing"
So, anyone who uses a cable connection will be fine?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Who knows.

I suspect the Telegraph's columnist is several transistors short of an amplifier.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Will this affect us living abroad receiving BBC internet channels free by nefarious means :-rofl2:eek:

Regards

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes.

The BBC have a fleet of Camper vans with GB plates all ready to go.