Help Required Best Satellite Dish for Feedhunting in the UK?

danaddison

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
100cm Sat dish on Superior Dark Motor Metal Gear DiSEqC 1.2-1.3 USALS GotoX, connected to ground pole
My Location
UK
Best Satellite Dish for Feedhunting in the UK?

1m?
2m?
3m?

Please Post Links Below with ones that are better with prices and your opinions on them and ill choose the best one

i would like to pick up all satellites over the uk when feedhunting if that helps

@moonbase please read this post

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb is the best for feed hunting in West Essex :Y

danaddison

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
100cm Sat dish on Superior Dark Motor Metal Gear DiSEqC 1.2-1.3 USALS GotoX, connected to ground pole
My Location
UK
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb is the best for feed hunting in West Essex :Y
i have a bigish sat dish but i want one possibly 1.5m or 2m if i can get one

Last edited:

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
what do u suggest then 1.5m ?

You were provided with my feedback in your previous "wanted" topic which now seems to be locked.
Although your previous topic has been closed, the content is still viewable.

It seems I was ahead of the game yesterday when I suggested to you that it may be best to close your "wanted" topic.
I think I will chance a few lotto tickets this weekend, predictive skiils seem to be peaking...

danaddison

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You were provided with my feedback in your previous "wanted" topic which now seems to be locked.

It seems I was ahead of the game yesterday when I suggested to you that it may be best to close your "wanted" topic.
I think I will chance a few lotto tickets this weekend, predictive skiils seem to be peaking...
ok, but still same question would a 1.5m dish be best?

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
The answer to your question is to try. There are so many variables it's not a yes or no answer.

danaddison

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

manic01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM5402 mk1/2/3/4 TM1500 TM Mini various TM Nano various TM600 TM F3/5 TM Twin etc etc TD110
My Location
GB

Thread is still open my friend

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy
My policy is: the larger the better, especially for feed hunting.
Why limiting your reception with 1.5m when you could install 1.8m or 2.0m or larger?
Your main question could be: which dish I can install? How much large?
After you replied to this question it is easier for you to make the best choice.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thread is still open my friend

I was referring to the "Wanted - Raven 1.8m..." topic.
That one is not open for further replies but is still available for viewing.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That depends EXACTLY what you want to have a look at. Also remember that many events are nowadays transmitted using ultra secure transmission methods that are not viewable to the average hobbyist. OR are transmitted using fibre links.

For general feeds on 28E then a Sky dish will be fine for many of them. Low power feeds on obscure birds round will need something bigger & set up better

danaddison

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
That depends EXACTLY what you want to have a look at. Also remember that many events are nowadays transmitted using ultra secure transmission methods that are not viewable to the average hobbyist. OR are transmitted using fibre links.

For general feeds on 28E then a Sky dish will be fine for many of them. Low power feeds on obscure birds round will need something bigger & set up better
i have both a sky dish and a 100cm (larger dish) but i cant find or lock onto 3w) and i want to be able to get feeds for glastonbury, rock am rim, download festival, radio 1's big weekend, Isle of wight festival, summer time ball, etc etc etc but most of them feeds are on 3w mostly and i cant get them with my current dises hence asking about bigger ones

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Someone will come along with preferred dish sizes for 3W but Ive found the few broadcast channels that have turned up on the on the Euro beam to be tricky to get. For the feeds I think you are looking at 1.8m or so.

Things to consider:

how much space have you got?
are you going static or motorised?
can you dig a BIG hole for the concrete pad you will need for a dish that big?
how windy is your install site? If its windy more concrete is required
if the local planning authority is difficult or you have awkward neighbours you will need planning permission
can you do the work yourself? Aligning big dishes is not a task for beginners
a project of this maginitude is not going to be cheap

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
For 3°W you probably want 1.5m or larger. A 1.2m will get some feeds but many are too weak.

Last year the Glastonbury feeds (they were on 28.2°E) were just for the main BBC channels, not of the individual stages like previous years. The extra channels are iPlayer only again so I would expect nothing too exciting to appear on satellite.