best way to wall mount cm 1.2 dish ?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I have just got hold of a channel master 1.2m dish and would like to upgrade from my current setup but doubt the wall mount is strong enough

currently have 90cm fibreglass channel master dish on jaeger 1224 motor which is sat on set of 24" inch t&k brackets, 3inch pole.

will fitting the cm 1.2 be pushing it ?

was thinking of using a flat roof mount as there is a very solid flat roof below but problem is height of the poles on these can I extend them past 1metre high as i will need to raise it to help clear some trees as 2 metre high flat roof and then 1.5m should be enough.

pic of how dish is now, is below.

I just want to make sure it will be safe in strong winds as the dish is massive in size

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 161

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Don't know ifyou can still get the Channel Master Tri-Mast wall/ground stand still, that's a heavy-duty 3" mount. I use one as a ground stand.

Attachments

• CH Tri-mast.jpg
    CH Tri-mast.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 49

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
A NPRM might do well there.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Terrible May weather isn't it Wod ;)

The new dish will have a wind loading of about twice the 90cm. You will need to move the pole off the house by another 20 cms if you want the same arc coverage, or raise the pole up another 60cms or so. I would suggest adding two more T and K's to the wall and lift the whole thing up.

The pole looks substantial enough, so if nothing is moving at the moment, then you should be OK.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yes that is an old picture i have.

anyway the arc of the dish in the picture goes 23east to 58west. i'm hoping to increase this to 39east, will i get mbc on 26e with the 1.2m ?

i have thought of dropping the dish lower and using 36" t&k but will that be enough ?

a roof mount i was hoping would work and extend the pole and use some lashing wire to stop it taking off in strong winds

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
wod said:
will i get mbc on 26e with the 1.2m ?

hi - i,m in n.w yorks -- 1.2 channel master is fine for MBC -- even in bad weather --

regards nelson.b .

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dropping it down may cause trouble to the far West with the house next door, plus 36 T/Ks may give a bit more movement than four of the ones you already have.

Unless you have trouble with neighbours, I would raise the mount slightly.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
no trouble with neighbours but there might be if the 1.2 goes up on the wall, as it is larger then current dish which is up and to the west the house is ok as it is well past 60degrees west.

i'm just keeping a look out for a non pentrating mount as i might just up the current dish and stick the 1.2 in the garden for something west 1/4 or 7west if i could receive verticals to have a play with.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Is the roof good enough to cope with a static 180 odd kilos ?

timbo86

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, CM 1.2 with invacom quad c120 & channelmaster feedhorn.
My Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I would add 2 more K brackets on to original setup and raise the dish up slightly? Are you going to be using an actuator arm?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Guess he'll be using the current 1224 motor, ...Wod?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Channel Hopper said:
Is the roof good enough to cope with a static 180 odd kilos ?

yes the roof is solid concrete as its an outhouse thing, not sure why they was made like this in the 1970s used to be council houses but all estate bought now I think.

satelliteman said:
Guess he'll be using the current 1224 motor, ...Wod?

yes I will be using 1224 motor.

got home from work and had a look today, I can put the dish on side of house but the area is very open and people can see it.

my mistake was I didn't realise how large 1.2metre is, well only paid 50 for it so not wasted a lot of money if its not used.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
well going back to this i've decided not to use the 1.2 and I have lifted up current setup which is cm 90cm with 1224 motor above the gutter and I can now get around to 42east, originally only could get to 23e.

In the process I think i've damaged one of my arms, due to trying to save time and lifting the whole motor + dish up the ladder and on to the pole in one go, stupid I know :(

does this look safe, as I'm going to buy another set of 24" brackets. I was thinking to add a t just below the gutter to hold the pole in case of movement in windy weather.

the first bracket is 5 brick courses down the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_05681.jpg
    IMG_05681.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 126

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Add one more K at the top and all should be fine, a T would only secure at the top course and they are rarely as well mortared as the ones further down.

Only you would know how well the existing bolts have remained secure, though a quick half turn of all of them wouldn't go amiss.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
wod said:
In the process I think i've damaged one of my arms

Wod, I hope this was one of the LNB support arms (which are replaceable) and not one of your limbs (which are not)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Channel Hopper said:
Add one more K at the top and all should be fine, a T would only secure at the top course and they are rarely as well mortared as the ones further down.

Only you would know how well the existing bolts have remained secure, though a quick half turn of all of them wouldn't go amiss.

I was going to put the t, 3rd course down, as you say the top course might not be solid. I just want to make sure the pole wont move about as its 4ft above the top bracket.

sonnetpete, yes it was one of my arms that I hurt not the dish but its fine today.

D

deleted

I would leave at least 5 brick course from the eaves as it could lift your mortar joints, any less with wind factor i would not expose above roof if you can help it, and go for 36in t & k 3 of ,which should bring it out enough from the wall

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
wod said:
I was going to put the t, 3rd course down, as you say the top course might not be solid. I just want to make sure the pole wont move about as its 4ft above the top bracket.

Use the 'K' as you will have one spare. You could then get away with the second course down as you will have the fifth course tied to it with the bracket.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Won't a 'K' take you too far up towards the eaves. I'd be inclined to fit a 'T' 3rd course down.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
satelliteman said:
Won't a 'K' take you too far up towards the eaves. I'd be inclined to fit a 'T' 3rd course down.

yes that was what I was thinking, as is it really safe to mount to the first course of brick work at the top ?

what I was going to do is put a t on the 3rd course and change the bottom t bracket with a k bracket which I hope would stiffen the mounting up

so I would have
t
k
k