Beware of exploding butter (NOT in microwave oven!!)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
We were sitting having breakfast in the kitchen when all of a sudden we heard a loud bang and about 750 g of melted butter was splashed all over the kitchen. It even reached the ceiling :eek:

It appears my wife but 3 butter blocks in a steel pot and was melting it on a 5 setting on the electric stove - which is sort of middle hot. Luckily the butter was melted but not really hot, some splashes went on my children - it would have been a disaster if it were hot.

The explosion blew away most of the content in the pot, it took quite some time to get all the f**** butter from the wall, ceiling, floor, everywhere. What a mess )(-red

Anyway, I had a look in the net and found a little bit of information, I guess it was the water content of the butter that caused it. My wife said she was using expensive bioo butter (whatever that is supposed to be??), so I would guess that butter has a higher water content.

This wiki article explains it (I think this is what happened to us) __http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating

So beware of the butter, next thing we will not be allowed to go on a plane of we got butter with us - bloody dangerous stuff this is!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Thanks for spreading this worthy note of caution :-shh

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Tivù said:
Thanks for spreading this worthy note of caution :-shh

Lol nice one :)

Yeah I got it spread all over the kitchen. Even after she has been cleaning the kitchen for some hours there is still a strong butter smell in there. That is not really a bad smell, but I hope it won't turn into something evil smelling in a few days.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If she does it again, tell her she'll be toast ................ :-rofl2

Just getting my coat

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Superheating normally occurs by heating in a microwave, not on an open stove.

Three packs of butter in one sitting though, what was she trying to make ?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tivù said:
If she does it again, tell her she'll be toast

Well, I went into the kitchen, and what did I see???? She put on anohter pot of butter, this time with not a lot of butter (we haven't got that much more), this time on a small heat setting but she forot it and went upstairs.

Obviously, I ran upstairs and to l her: "what did you do, it exploded again" :-rofl2 That got her going :p

Superheating normally occurs by heating in a microwave, not on an open stove.

Three packs of butter in one sitting though, what was she trying to make ?

Supejheating can happen also on a stove if the temperature setting is too high...

She is heating the butter until the protein seperates, and she then takes a spoon and removes it. What is left is butter without animal protein, which is better for joints etc. She uses it for cooking, for toast we use normal butter

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
T_G said:
She is heating the butter until the protein seperates, and she then takes a spoon and removes it. What is left is butter without animal protein.....

I'm intrigued, have you got a source ?(not the supermarket)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
My wife is studying to become an Iyengar Yoga techer, apparently that's where she heard about it. What this is doing is removing the animal protein which otherwise deposits in your joints, arteries and other places. I think it is called "clarified butter", the Indians call it "Ghee". It has some other benefits when cooking with it, but for toast or a sandwich we still use normal butter as it simply tastes better