bit error rate help needed

slimthug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox
My Location
caribbean
i cannot seem to get down my (ber) bit error rate it is always about 160000-5000 even though my (snr) is always about 91 and (agg) is about 41 i tried moving the antenna and it doesn't work the ber is still to high i would lik some help if possible.there are no trees in the way and no high wind.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Is your picture breaking up?

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
As rolfw has suggested, if your picture is OK then stop worrying.

If your picture is breaking up, then it may be time to check your alignment and LNB. Since signals in general are at theiur weakest at this time of year, I change more LNBs between June and August than I do for the whole of the rest of the year.

slimthug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox
My Location
caribbean
yes it is breaking up

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Before blaming the Dreambox, check the rest of your installation. In Europe at least, this is the time of year when any shortcomings in dish alignment or LNB sensitivity make themselves felt.

slimthug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox
My Location
caribbean
i replace the lnb cable and the same problem can it be the antenna

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Check the Skew/rotation of the LNB as well.

slimthug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox
My Location
caribbean
the box was showing good about a month ago and now it just breaking up with squares even tho the snr is 90. Sometimes it just stick and say switch service could not be found but i does just change the channel and that goes away.

slimthug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox
My Location
caribbean
don't worry about me i'll find something to fix it so don't reply anymore

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The skew is the angle that the LNB is fixed at relative to vertical. In other words, it doesn't usually point straight down, but needs to be twisted an an angle which will depend on where you are and which satellite you're pointed at. Sometimes it can be very critical (i.e. for pulling in Astra 2A and 2B north beam channels which have adjacent and very much stronger south beam transponders).

PJ02

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM, 36v Positioner, DB7020Si.
Diablo, CAS3+
My Location
Cheshire
According to those stats your signal level is only 41% which is a little low. You sure your all aligned correctly?

HTH

PJ