bought freesat box but cant get it to work??

downs523

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat wannabe
My Location
bedfordshire
hi all, 1st post here and looking for some advice please.
i have moved into my 1st home which has a sky dish installed with the wiring present in front room and bedroom. wires are double in front room and single in bedroom so im assuming they had sky+ downstairs??

i have setup my freesat box correct but when i try to scan for channels i get no signal every time. on the sky dish it has 4x outlets for the cables to connect to(p1,2,3,4??). i have tried all outlets with the cables and none work.

if theres 2 cables comming into my front rm, which do i connect to the freesat box??

the position of my sky dish is the same as the neighbours, do i need to adjust where its pointing??

any advise would help alot, thankyou!

PLANTPOT

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 mtr channel master
1224 motor
Technomate 1500+
Still in the garage,not had a chance to put it up yet :-)
Also 90cm channel master fixed
My Location
SW France
Any connection of the 4 should give you a signal,assuming the lnb is working and the dish is correctly aligned.
It is no good saying the dish is pointing in the same direction as your neighbours,it could easily be a little out of alignment.
Get yourself one of those cheap satellite meters and check that the dish is aligned correctly,this should also indicate if the lnb is in fact working or not.-PP

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With all of the cables connected at the LNB, have you tried both cables on your Freesat box? Have you checked the connectors?

I had an HD box which showed no signal until a software upgrade had been completed, but that was only one receiver, have never had that problem since.

downs523

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat wannabe
My Location
bedfordshire
hi, yes tried all cables with the freesat box, the sky dish is small, think its the new 43cm ones(zone 1), i will try this satellite meters to check, where can i get these from? if this still doesnt work will i need a larger dish? or should the one i have now work fine? think the area im in has bad signal for tv, mobiles etc as my neighbour has a huge ariel installed!!!!

downs523

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat wannabe
My Location
bedfordshire
also are these inline satallite signal boosters i see on ebay any good?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That dish is standard for your location and should be fine.

Have you got a friend nearby who will either lend you a Freesat or Sky digibox to test your dish, or let you try your receiver on his dish?

Forget the booster, will not help unless your cable run is over 40m or so.

downs523

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat wannabe
My Location
bedfordshire
i have already got a bush freesat box and have tested it on my dish, cant really try it on anyone nearby as i dont know anyonw yet as only just moved in.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
downs523 said:
i have already got a bush freesat box and have tested it on my dish, cant really try it on anyone nearby as i dont know anyonw yet as only just moved in.

My suggestion is to make sure the connectors are correctly fitted to the cable. If they are the screw on type ensure there is not one strand of braid shorting out against the central core.

Also double check the lengths of cable for damage etc and if possible check for continuity, some people when they move purposely snip the cables in a non obvious place, whilst there was not dish cabling when we moved here 20 years ago they had however taken the light bulbs and fittings....