Brand new DM518s from dealextreme with no "service searching" option

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
I can't help thinking why people buy clones with all the articles everywhere showing the problems. Even if you can't aford a Dreaambox surely it would be better to buy another quality receiver so you know its genuine and with a guarantee. There are several that are probaly as good as DM at a lower price.

pacmyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7000S
Project Gemini 4.40
Nabilosat Darkstar II
My Location
Stockholm
Llew said:
Definitely needs to be grounded.. At two or more points around the shield if possible. Don't know the layout of your particular STB's board, but if you're thinking of fabricating one for yours, you will need to make sure you can find some good ground plane points to solder to.

What about grounding with chassis as well as with antenna ground? Maybe with the PSU (12V side) as well.??

pacmyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7000S
Project Gemini 4.40
Nabilosat Darkstar II
My Location
Stockholm
TJExcalibur said:
I can't help thinking why people buy clones with all the articles everywhere showing the problems. Even if you can't aford a Dreaambox surely it would be better to buy another quality receiver so you know its genuine and with a guarantee. There are several that are probaly as good as DM at a lower price.

I didn't start this thread to discuss why to buy a clone, but I will tell yo why I choose to buy it. First of all I have a big interest in electronics. If something is broken, and I can fix it, it gives me even more joy using the device after that I have fixed it. Also, I already own 2 original dreambox. When I got my 800s original, I got so disappointed what I decided that I dont want to give DM more money. Compared with my old 7000s the 800s is just crap. It's slow, unstable. Difficult to find a good image. I still havent found an image that supports autocamd and that doesnt loose subtitles when recording movies or using timeshift.. I think alla E1 images had no problem with this..! Browsing around the menus on the 7000S feels so much quicker and so much more stable than on the 800.. That's why I dont want to sponsor DM buy buying anything from them.
I bought a 500 clone mostly to do some experiments on, and use in my summerhouse, together with wireless 3G router to see if it would work. The 500 clone is so much faster (booting, channel switching, diseqcs support) than my original 800S, that Im almost thinking about taking the 800S to the summerhouse instead..
So, now maybe you see why I bought the clone.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
pacmyc said:
What about grounding with chassis as well as with antenna ground? Maybe with the PSU (12V side) as well.??

Don't add any other grounding points or you might introduce unwanted voltage loops or pick up HF radiation, making it worse than before.

pacmyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7000S
Project Gemini 4.40
Nabilosat Darkstar II
My Location
Stockholm
Llew said:
Don't add any other grounding points or you might introduce unwanted voltage loops or pick up HF radiation, making it worse than before.

Ok.. thanx for your help..