Cable entry help

leroy101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax SR110 + 65cm Dish on motor, Bush Freesat HD box + zone 1 dish
My Location
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Hi guys

At the moment I have one coax lead coming from sat dish through wall direct to sat receiver. I would like to install a Freesat PVR and also have an aerial and a RF out lead to the bedroom.

What would be the best way to have the cable coming into the house? Would I have to drill another three holes? One for the second tuner, one for the aerial and one for the return lead? Is there any way that I can use the aerial lead as the RF return lead and split it with one lead going to the bedroom and one continuing to the aerial?

I dont really want four holes in the wall.

Cheers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not what you asked, but are you aware that Freesat PVRs do not have RF Modulators?

leroy101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax SR110 + 65cm Dish on motor, Bush Freesat HD box + zone 1 dish
My Location
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Tivù said:
Not what you asked, but are you aware that Freesat PVRs do not have RF Modulators?

No I was not aware of that! Oh well thats one less cable entry to worry about.

Cheers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Glad to have brought it to your attention then!

Sadly, manufacturers are increasingly designing them out of Satellite Receivers - although Sky Boxes still have them.

One reason is cost (although that's probably a feeble excuse), but generally it seems that the thinking is to have dedicated tuner(s) at each viewing position. Not a bad idea in these days of HD, I suppose, but there are still many of us who like the idea of local RF distribution.

You can get external modulators - or even make use of VCRs by looping SCART in to them. Bit regressive, though!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If it's a short run you can use wf 65 twin through a 10mm hole

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Tivù said:
One reason is cost (although that's probably a feeble excuse), but generally it seems that the thinking is to have dedicated tuner(s) at each viewing position. Not a bad idea in these days of HD, I suppose, but there are still many of us who like the idea of local RF distribution.

With analogue on its way out, the manufacturers have already ramped down on delivery/retransmission using this standard.
A digital equivalent output would be nice but it's not going to happen soon, or at the right price.

Anyway the Belling-Lee connector has been obselete for yonks.

Invented at Belling & Lee Ltd in Enfield, in 1921, it became a standard for BBC broadcasts. It was originally intended for medium frequency broadcasts, where accurate impedance matching of an antenna connector was not a concern.
Once Short-wave had been brought into the home in the mid 30's it was found the Belling Lee connector could also cope with these without appreciable loss. With the advent of Very High Frequency broadcasts, or VHF, the lack of impedance matching was found to cause signal reflections in the cable, leading to noticeable signal distortion on much over 90 MHz.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Just hope that they continue building TVs with analogue tuners in them for a while, as even if a modulator is required, its still cheaper than any digital methods. I for one accept the lower quality picture in the other rooms, I expect many do. Using one to distribute my ( not sat, not terrestrial) box.