Comag SK04

Studio Muppet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ross DVB-S2 1201 (Porty Dish) & Tevion 28208ALD FTA Digital Sat Receiver (35cm Portable Dish)
My Location
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm currently enjoying a range of Analogue channels (19.2E) using ex-Sky gear resurrected after being inspired by _http://www.analoguesat.co.uk/ -Thank you! :)

But as the end draws near for Analogue I'm quite interested in the portable dish idea. Has anyone experience of the Comag SK04 (links below). Like the idea of being able to whip out the dish stick it in a window or in the back garden and explore different Satellites. Is this wishful thinking? I remember finding 3 different Satellites very easily with instructions from Analoguesat.co.uk back in 2003 just by pointing a dish on an old car tyre.

It says
Including LNB, SCART cable and satellite locator - all in one box
-Satellite locator? I guess just a guide on a piece of paper. Maybe I should get a Sat finder? I see there is one for £12.99.

Any advice much appreciated (NB this isn't serious stuff, just someone who's interested to tune into to something completely different now and again) like BR Alpha Space Night :-worship

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48737&DOY=1m3

_http://www.satgear.co.uk/comag_mini_suitcase_system_.html

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
The Comags work well.. not the best/ most sensitive stb but solid, well built usually ... bit odd changing satellites with motors and some newer portable versions might have power or compatability problems driving motors.

Studio Muppet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ross DVB-S2 1201 (Porty Dish) & Tevion 28208ALD FTA Digital Sat Receiver (35cm Portable Dish)
My Location
United Kingdom
Performed some more research over the weekend and I'm pretty sure the bundled receiver will be the SL65/12. On Googling I see that pretty much the same system; Dish and receiver in a plastic carry case has been on sale in the Lidl chain last April for about £60. So now £100 (even £90) seems a bit steep. :eek:

I know imports have gone up but that's quite a raise for a budget system. What do you guys reckon? -Should I hold out for these to appear at my local Lidl or is the Maplin set not a bad deal?

There seems to be no difference other than the badge! :confused

Navalcarnero

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat
My Location
Spain Madrid
I actually had the lidl kit for about 2 weeks last summer. I bought it cos i wanted to tets a few freesat boxes before i moved to spain and i knew the kit sold for a premium on ebay. SO anyway i used the kit and the silverline Sl65/12 for a few days, great fun. With my very little experience is obviously wasnt as good as the Humax freesat box i also used with the same capming dish it came with but really it a steal at £65.

For 100ish i am not so sure you can get great boxes for around £60-70 and if you are in the UK sky type dishes are dirt cheap. You get every thing for the same price with and i am sure it would be higher quailty. However if you want to just mess about it might be worth it

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Studio Muppet said:
Hello!

I'm currently enjoying a range of Analogue channels (19.2E) using ex-Sky gear resurrected after being inspired by _http://www.analoguesat.co.uk/ -Thank you! :)

I remember finding 3 different Satellites very easily with instructions from Analoguesat.co.uk back in 2003 just by pointing a dish on an old car tyre.

Excellent - another satellite enthusiast converted to the joys of using car tyres as dish mounts

:-lmao :-rofl2

Ive still got my 19E dish on a tyre, although it normally stays there these days! :toke:

Ive got another tyre and a couple of spare dishes for experimenting with these days :)

(And the website is still going strong!)

Studio Muppet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
Analoguesat said:
Excellent - another satellite enthusiast converted to the joys of using car tyres as dish mounts

:-lmao :-rofl2

Ive still got my 19E dish on a tyre, although it normally stays there these days! :toke:

Ive got another tyre and a couple of spare dishes for experimenting with these days :)

(And the website is still going strong!)

Oh yes! I remember telling the lads down the pub about it and when I told them that I found some channel with what looked like a golden eagle/bird logo showing a middle east style soap opera they found it hilarious. :-rofl2 I really wish I had the video capture gear back then. I finally fixed the dish on a wall pointing at 19.2E. Some sparklies but good enough for me to drop in on now and again. Thanks again Analogue Sat :)

Studio Muppet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
_http://www.maplin.co.uk/Media/PDFs/A96FJ_receiver_manual.pdf

6.2 Game When you enter “Game” menu, you will see three Games include Tetris, Snake and Othello.

What? WHAT?! The satellite receiver has a few games built into the firmware? How bizzare. Have the Aldi models got this feature too? :cool:

Studio Muppet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
Well I waited for a year and on Sunday popped into my local Aldi and bought their Satellite Suitcase (Tevion Brand) for £59.99

Only had chance to set it up in my bedroom window and it picks up 28 E (Astra 2A?) fine. Sat finder is great and I just keeping adjusting the sensitivity when I find the beam to align the dish to a 50% signal (through a wet window!)

Based in the Southwest of England I wonder what other sats I should be able to pick up when this dish is set up in my garden? (This is a baby dish 35cm)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try these for starters - the European beams should come in nice and strong

5W
5E
7E
9E
13E
16E (some tps only)
19E
23.5E

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Studio Muppet said:
Oh yes! I remember telling the lads down the pub about it and when I told them that I found some channel with what looked like a golden eagle/bird logo showing a middle east style soap opera they found it hilarious. :-rofl2

Think that would have been ESC Egypt on Eutelsat W2 at 16E :-rofl2

(Sadly lost to digital a very long time ago now)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I still have a couple of micro (40cm) dishes in the garage which outperformed a number of somewhat larger branded dishes when I tested them.

Studio Muppet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
Been playing around from the open bedroom window and managed to swing across from 28.2e to 19.2e

Attached are some images of the gear plus screen grabs. Really fun this!:)

-I'm guessing that card reader slot is just a dummy and the model uses a case of another model? It is a FTA box after all.

Attachments

• 02-05-10_1049.jpg
    02-05-10_1049.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 08-05-10_1309.jpg
    08-05-10_1309.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 08-05-10_1308.jpg
    08-05-10_1308.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 28e-Astra.JPEG
    28e-Astra.JPEG
    115.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 19-2E_APS.JPEG
    19-2E_APS.JPEG
    78.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 19-2e_France24.JPEG
    19-2e_France24.JPEG
    133.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 19-2e_qvcplus.JPEG
    19-2e_qvcplus.JPEG
    94 KB · Views: 79

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Studio Muppet said:
-I'm guessing that card reader slot is just a dummy and the model uses a case of another model? It is a FTA box after all.

Best test is to push (the wife's) bank card into it and see if it drops inside.

Studio Muppet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
Channel Hopper said:
Best test is to push (the wife's) bank card into it and see if it drops inside.

:-rofl2 This little box could turn out to be quite an investment!

-http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/afristar_west.html

Afristar at 21.0E -do you think it's possible with this kit?:confused

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Afristar 1 is an L-band radio satellite which will be decommissioned in the very near future as the owner is bankrupt.

You wont get it with that kit.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Nice, I've been advising a few people on a canal forum about the Aldi setup, I haven't seen it until now, but having a card slot is a bonus, depending on whether it's enabled (or even connected inside!!!), it would be interesting to know what encryption it is able to open with a sub. card... :)

Studio Muppet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
Just clocked it's a badged Philex product. It has a serial port for software update.

-http://www.philex.com/catalogue/product/?id=33&cat=1030

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Studio Muppet said:
Just clocked it's a badged Philex product. It has a serial port for software update.

-http://www.philex.com/catalogue/product/?id=33&cat=1030

A lot of receivers have serial ports for upgrades, but for the proper modifications, you have to "pop the hood" as it were and use the JTAG headers for a proper bit of programming... :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Studio Muppet said:
Er, no. Comag is a manufacturer in its own right and has been making receivers for at least 15 years. Philex is definitely not the OEM company.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
If the card reader is real, there should be a opition for it in the main menu, i.e. "Card Reader details" or the like!?