Confused about Astra 1N, please help :)

rob70

My Satellite Setup
eutelsat at 13 degree east and astra at 28.2.
My Location
uk
Hello Guys,
I am a bit confused as astra has introduced this new platform (1N) in place of astra 2d that is currently inactive.

1)Now, my first q is this: I currently have a Kaon receiver that, at moment is configured to astra /eurobird (28.2) in london, uk.
I can receive pretty much all the fta channels including the bbc's and itv's channels and so on. But there is no Channel 5 and no Channel 4 ? I mean the channels appears in the list of FTa channels but, unlike the others, the screen is black , no signal is being got.
Why is that??

2) my second q is this; So , the fact that now all the uk terrestrial channels have moved to astra 1n , which I trust has a more flexible footprint that previously experience on astra 2d, does it mean that in southern europe, to pick the signal up, we no longer require a huge disch (eg 2.4 or 3m wide dish)???
many thanks
Rob

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
No idea about Kaon receiver but it sounds like it just needs a channel rescan. Consult Lyngsat.

Depends where in "southern Europe" you mean. Places like Italy need smaller dishes than before but it is much harder to receive the signal in Greece and almost impossible in Cyprus.

Don't forget that Astra 1N is temporary and will be replaced by Astra 2F later this year, which may change the footprint once again.

rob70

My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
thanks,,
ok, central italy , eg, Rome, do u reckon, an 80 cm dish will be enough to watch all the uk channels.??
According to the footprint image for astra 1n , that should do .

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
The widebeam, yes, 80cm will be enough. I think you'll need 1.2m for the UK one though, as that's what you need in Naples.

rob70

My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
sorry, I am not so clear. I mean according to the astra 1N foot print, a 120 dish is only required in places far further down than rome (the place i want to install it). If u look at the sat image in the central italy zone for astra 1N, that is circled as a 75cm dish needed, and that should include all the channels that now broadcast on astra 1N including the english channels, so why do u claim that for rome, unlike what the pic shows, i would require a 120 cm one ??
thanks

Huevos

Satellite Freak
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rob70 said:
according to the astra 1N foot print, a 120 dish is only required in places far further down than rome
There is no footprint map of how the UK beam is in Rome. The cut-off on the footprint map is a 60cm dish and that is in north Europe.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Huevos said:
There is no footprint map of how the UK beam is in Rome. The cut-off on the footprint map is a 60cm dish and that is in north Europe.

I've seen footprint maps on both lyngsat and kingofsat that show more than that, and there are probably others, although how accurate they are is anyone's guess.

ralphmagno

My Location
naples italy
hello to all,
ok here is the deal where are you installing this system?
now here in naples a 1.20 dish is required.
farther south than rome it is not an exact science.
now here in naples to get the bbc itv and free view you need a 1.20 meter dish.
to get the other sky channels a smaller dish say about 90 cm will do.
if you are going farther south in italy say southern tip it may require a biger dish.
or it may not come in at all.
if you are camping and want to use a 60 cm dish you will have problems with free view and your regular sky channels will have problems as well.
the map shows the cut off for astra 1 n being naples italy.there may be some one who is receiving this with a bigger dish farther south of naples.
if you tell us where you want this dish perhaps there is someone with a bigger dish that is receiving free view in sothern italy.
Ralph

Huevos

Satellite Freak
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Mickha said:
I've seen footprint maps on both lyngsat and kingofsat that show more than that, and there are probably others, although how accurate they are is anyone's guess.
That map was published then quickly withdrawn (well before the satellite was launched). After all it is supposed to be a UK only beam so they wouldn't want there broadcasters seeing a map that encompasses the whole of Europe in the footprint.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I never trust these maps anyway, they usually err on the side of caution, I much prefer reports from members, regarding location, size of dish, and signal strength/quality of channels received.

rob70

My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
i need to instaill it in rome,
if in naples u need a 1.20 dish, because rome is 200 km north of naples would it be fair to say that maybe a 90 cm one will do for the uk channels as well ??

DragonSat

My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD (DRX890C with 2TB Drive) connected to a boring basic sky dish
BFBS - Not yet connected
AFN - Not yet connected
Sky ITA - Not yet connected
My Location
York
If you already have a 90cm dish, give it a try. Personally I would use a 1m and good LNB. The signal (Well the SNR) here in Naples has reduced slightly over the last few weeks, maybe the heat causing more interference or the adjacent BADR has upped its power on some conflicting transponders

ralphmagno

My Location
naples italy
hello, the level dropes in the summer and is a little stronger in the winter.
heat or atmosphere one of the 2 or both.
he could try the 90 cm near rome.
signal should be a little stronger there.
ralph